Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    I have been hearing them on the radio on MLB.com but the only game that had video feed so far was the 2nd game against the Pirates and I watched most of it until I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I can always go back and finish it though.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Not on TV.

MLB ERA
    Scott Thorman went 0-for-3 on Wednesday and committed his first error of the spring.
    Thorman is 3-for-15 with no extra-base hits and a 4/0 K/BB ratio. Meanwhile, Craig Wilson homered and tripled today. The Braves could eventually find they'd be better off with Wilson as their regular first baseman, though it's clear Thorman would need to turn in a brutal spring to put his job in doubt.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    John Smoltz was able to remain in Wednesday's game against the Tigers after taking a liner off his chest.
    Atlanta manager Bobby Cox said Smoltz was sore but shouldn't miss a start. Smoltz pitched three scoreless innings in the game.

Rafael Soriano made his spring debut Thursday and pitched a scoreless inning despite giving up two hits.
    Soriano's velocity wasn't great, but that comes as little surprise. He was also having difficulty in that department in winter ball, and he was nursing a sore right shoulder after showing up to camp late. We'll be more interested to see where he's at two weeks from now.

Tim Hudson pitched four innings and allowed two runs -- one earned -- Thursday versus the Yankees.
    He struck out three and got eight groundouts, so it was a second straight encouraging outing for him. Jason Giambi homered to account for the earned run.

MLB ERA
    Kelly Johnson went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer Friday versus the Pirates.
    Johnson is getting the job done offensively so far, starting off 6-for-18 with a couple of doubles. We also haven't heard any big problems regarding his defensive play at second base, though he did commit an error yesterday. As long as he's showing decent range at the position, he should begin the season as a regular.

Willy Aybar went 3-for-5 with a homer to help the Braves beat the Pirates 8-5 on Friday.
    Aybar was 10 days late to camp due to visa troubles, but he showed up in good shape and it appears it hasn't taken him long to find his timing at the plate. He'll serve as the backup to Chipper Jones, and he's also expected to see some time at shortstop this spring.

Lance Cormier pitched four scoreless innings and struck out five in relief Saturday against the Blue Jays.
    Cormier has a 2.00 ERA and a 10/1 K/BB ratio in nine innings this spring. Kyle Davies is the more interesting pitcher from a fantasy perspective, but Cormier could very well beat him out for a rotation spot if he keeps this up.

Rafael Soriano worked a perfect inning against the Blue Jays in his second appearance since returning from a sore shoulder.
    Even though Soriano has had a history of shoulder troubles and his velocity remains down somewhat, the Braves haven’t seen any reason to go slowly with him. He pitched today on just one day of rest after making his spring debut Thursday.

Mark Redman yielded one run and three hits over three innings Saturday in his Braves debut.
    Redman should take Mike Hampton’s rotation spot after signing Friday, leaving one job open for Kyle Davies or Lance Cormier. He doesn’t have much fantasy upside, but he could be worth using in 4x4 NL-only leagues.

Andruw Jones went 2-for-3 with a homer Saturday in the Braves' 4-1 win over the Blue Jays.
    Jones and Brian McCann hit back-to-back homers off Dustin McGowan in the sixth inning. The homer was the first for Jones. He entered the day 3-for-16.

MLB ERA
    Blaine Boyer, who missed most of last season following shoulder surgery, expects to make his second appearance of the spring on Sunday.
    Earlier in the week, Boyer threw a scoreless inning in his first appearance in almost a year and claims that the shoulder is no longer an issue. The Braves really only have two spots left out of the bullpen, and Chad Paronto and Tyler Yates seem to have the upper hand. Boyer could help out with the Braves later in the season though.

Chris Woodward, who has yet to play a game because of a strained calf, expects to return to action Tuesday after the Braves return from Jupiter.
    Woodward is expected to start the season in a backup infielder role. He played every infield position and even some outfield last season with the Mets in a similar role.

Mike Gonzalez was tagged for three runs in an inning Sunday, raising his spring ERA to 11.25.
    He's given up seven hits, walked four and struck out one in four innings. Gonzalez's elbow is supposed to be 100 percent, so it's too early for Braves fans to panic. Still, it would be nice to see some results soon.

Kyle Davies shut out the Cardinals for four innings Sunday in Atlanta's victory.
    He walked three and struck out none, so it wasn't all good. Davies has a 2.25 ERA and a 3/5 K/BB ratio in eight innings. Lance Cormier has been more impressive to date.

MLB ERA
    come on Gonzo.

MLB ERA
    News from the 12th of March.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Chipper Jones left Monday's game in the first inning with a sprained left ankle.
    In his first at-bat, Jones broke awkwardly from the box on a grounder to first and jogged a few steps before turning around and limping to the dugout. The Braves are listing him as day-to-day. Willy Aybar is the team's backup at third base.

Australian right-hander Phil Stockman has yet to pitch in a game this spring because he doesn't have a work visa.
    He wouldn't have gotten it earlier, but he was sidelined following January hamstring surgery anyway. Stockman is about ready to pitch now, so he's set to go to the Bahamas to get the visa taken care of. It's doubtful that he'll make the Braves.

John Smoltz pitched four scoreless innings and struck out four Monday versus the Cardinals.
    Smoltz started today despite a bruised chest sustained last time out. He's allowed five hits, walked one and struck out eight in nine shutout innings this spring.

Chipper Jones expects to be fine after spraining his left ankle Monday.
    He left today's game in the first inning. "It bit me kind of hard, but there's not a lot of swelling," Jones said. "During the season I would have continued to play. Hopefully I'll get back in there tomorrow, because I need some at-bats."

Braves optioned RHP Anthony Lerew, OF Gregor Blanco and RHP Jose Ascanio to Triple-A Richmond; reassigned C Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C Carlos Mendez and SS Brent Lillibridge to minor league camp.
    Manager Bobby Cox indicated that he was impressed with Lerew's improved consistency this spring. Still, the 24-year-old was never a candidate to make the team. He does have the best chance of any member of this group of contributing before the year is out.

MLB ERA
    News from the 13th of March.
    Chad Paronto left Tuesday's game in the seventh inning after taking a comebacker off his lower leg.
    He seemed to be OK. Paronto is a top candidate to fill one of the two openings in the Atlanta pen.

Chipper Jones was back in the lineup for Tuesday's game and went 2-for-4 with an RBI against the Astros.
    Jones wasn't exaggerating when he said he'd be just fine after spraining his ankle Monday. He played seven innings in the field tonight before leaving for a pinch-runner.

Braves reassigned LHP Matt Harrison, RHP Kevin Barry and catcher Clint Sammons to minor league camp.
    Harrison's long shot bid to overtake both Kyle Davies and Lance Cormier for a rotation spot never really got off the ground, as he gave up six runs in three innings this spring. He might be an option by midseason.

Braves optioned RHP Joey Devine to Triple-A Richmond.
    The Braves had too many alternatives to Devine to carry him now, but he showed enough at the end of last year to make it look like he'll be a factor at some point during 2007. He allowed one run in three innings this spring.

MLB ERA
    News from the 14th of March.
    Tony Pena Jr. is out of minor league options, meanining the Braves would have to pass him through waivers in order to send him to the minors.
    With Chris Woodward and Willy Aybar around, it's going to be tough for Pena to make the Opening Day roster as a backup infielder. Pete Orr and Martin Prado give him further competition, meaning he could be headed for another organization at some point later this month.

Willy Aybar has been sidelined with soreness in his right hand and wrist.
    Aybar went 4-for-9 after finally getting into Braves camp following visa problems, but a hand injury he suffered during winter ball reportedly became an issue again. He could return to the lineup later this week.

Scott Thorman doubled twice Wednesday for his first extra-base hits of the spring.
    He's 7-for-29. Thorman didn't need to turn in a quality spring to enter the season as the Braves' starting first baseman, but how he finishes this month could determine how much margin for error he has. The club has a nice backup option in Craig Wilson.

MLB ERA
    News from the 15th of March.
    Lance Cormier shut down the Yankees for five innings Thursday, getting 10 outs on the ground.
    He also struck out three. Kyle Davies has put up solid results this spring, but Cormier has still outpitched him with a 1.29 ERA and a 13/1 K/BB ratio in 14 innings. The K/BB ratio is especially notable given that he's at 130/107 in 198 1/3 innings during his time in the majors. Cormier has a pretty good chance of becoming the Braves' fifth starter.

MLB ERA
    News from the 16th of March.
    Chipper Jones was scratched from Friday's starting lineup with a sore right oblique muscle.
    Jonee was on the DL twice with left oblique problems last season. Jones told a Braves official that the right oblique muscle "bit" him during batting practice. The Braves may hold him out of action for a while to ensure that he doesn't further aggravate the area.

Mark Redman surrendered three runs and five hits over four innings in a no-decision against the Mets.
    Redman's second start as a Brave didn't go as well as his first, but it's assumed that he'll have a rotation spot to open the season. The Braves have to like having the extra depth even if Redman is no better of a bet than Kyle Davies or Lance Cormier.

Pete Orr went 3-for-5 with a double and three RBI Friday in a 6-6 tie against the Cardinals.
    While Kelly Johnson and Martin Prado have been the focus of the competition at second base, Orr hasn't been ruled out as a potential starter. He's 9-for-21 with a couple of doubles and three walks this spring. Still, his .276/.304/.365 line in 304 major league at-bats says a lot more about him as a hitter.

MLB ERA
    News from the 17th of March.
    Kyle Davies, who is still competing for the starting rotation, allowed two hits and one run through five innings in Friday's intersquad game.
    "He pitched five innings and looked terrific," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "It counts in my scorebook, but not the Grapefruit League." Lance Cormier, who probably has an edge for the No. 5 rotation spot, threw five scoreless innings Thursday to improve his ERA to 1.29. Davies has a 2.25 ERA in three Grapefruit League starts.

Manager Bobby Cox mentioned for the first time that Scott Thorman, who is was batting .212 (8-for-25), could start the season platooning at first base with Craig Wilson.
    "(Thorman's) had a slow start," Cox said. "He's playing fine [on defense] and making good contact. We have a lot of pop if we do platoon." Wilson (shoulder) is hitting .320 thus far, but not quite healthy enough to play the outfield.

Mike Gonzalez (elbow) gave up three hits in the sixth inning Friday, including a two-run homer.
    Gonzalez has allowed seven runs and 10 hits (two homers) in six innings, with four walks and two strikeouts. "I'm not even worried about that," he said. "I'm about one outing away from being ready. My arm's coming around real well. I'm feeling good."

Craig Wilson went 2-for-3 with a three-run homer off Braden Looper on Saturday.
    Wilson had struggled to play the outfield this spring because of a sore elbow, but he was in left today. He's batting .333 with a couple of homers in 30 at-bats this spring. The Braves are going to have to find him playing time and not only against left-handers.

Chris Woodward went 1-for-3 in his spring debut Saturday against the Cardinals.
    Woodward, who is expected to make the Braves as a utilityman, had been out since suffering a strained calf prior to the first game of the spring.

Mike Hampton felt well enough to play catch on Saturday and plans to do it again on Sunday.
    The Braves thought it'd be another two weeks before Hampton began to throw, but the left-hander says his oblique is healing quickly. He's still likely to miss the first month of the season.

MLB ERA
    News from the 18th of March.
    General manager John Schuerholz called Chipper Jones sore right oblique injury "a spring training tweak" and added it's not considered serious.
    Chipper, sat out his second straight day Saturday, and just came to the ballpark for treatment. "I'm not going to play him until he's 100 percent," said manager Bobby Cox, who wouldn't comment on the injury but hinted he expected Jones back this week.

Kelly Johnson hit his second homer of the spring off Aaron Harang in Sunday's win over the Reds.
    It was his only hit after a single off Brandon Phillips' glove in the first was later changed to an error. Johnson is just 9-for-40 this spring, but five of his hits have gone for extra bases. He still appears to be in the lead for the starting job at second base.

Tim Hudson beat the Tigers on Sunday by pitching five scoreless innings.
    He allowed three hits, walked one and struck out three. Even more encouraging than Hudson's 1.80 ERA is his 26/11 GB/FB ratio in 15 innings to date. He's likely done as an ace, but if he can keep getting grounders, he'll help the Braves a lot more than he did last year.

Chipper Jones is aiming to return Wednesday after missing a third straight game Sunday with a sore right oblique.
    Jones said his absence is "precautionary, to make sure it's 100 percent."

Andruw Jones was given Sunday off to rest a sore right shoulder.
    Manager Bobby Cox said he'd likely be back on Monday. Jones is 8-for-29 with a homer and six walks this spring.

Matt Diaz injured his left shoulder diving for a flyball in Sunday's game and had to be removed.
    The Braves don't believe it's a significant injury. Diaz is battling Ryan Langerhans and Craig Wilson for playing time in left field.

MLB ERA
    News from the 19th of March.
    Matt Diaz was used as a pinch-hitter Monday and grounded into a double play.
    Diaz left Sunday's game after injuring his left shoulder on a dive. He should be back in left field soon.

Scott Thorman went 2-for-4 with a homer and three RBI against the Indians on Monday.
    Thorman is warming up with five hits the last three days. He's now batting .265/.308/.408 in 49 at-bats. Maybe Thorman won't start against left-handers at the beginning of the year, but he's sure to play regularly versus righties, even if Craig Wilson continues to outproduce him.

Chuck James shut out the Indians for five innings in the Braves' victory Monday.
    James is 2-1 with a 2.57 ERA in 14 innings. He'll give up his share of home runs once the season starts, but he'll be a solid No. 3 starter for the Braves and a decent option in shallow mixed leagues.

Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast