Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    I just realized. The Braves home opener is the same day as my 21st birthday. Sweet!

MLB ERA
    You plan on going? That would be a great birthday right there.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Chris Woodward is expected to miss at least a week after suffering a strained calf while working out prior to Thursday's game.
    Woodward's roster spot is fairly secure, so he shouldn't feel much need to rush back from the injury.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Willy Aybar has received visa clearance and is expected to report to Braves camp Friday.
    Delays kept Aybar from the first nine days of camp, but assistant general manager Frank Wren said the Braves don't consider it his fault.

MLB ERA
    Kelly Johnson got hit by a grounder during batting practice Friday, but he was in the lineup against the Pirates anyway.
    Johnson was taking grounders before the game when one took a bad hop and caught him in the upper chest, just below the neck. "He's lucky to be alive," manager Bobby Cox said. "It got him just below the Adam's apple."

MLB ERA
    John Smoltz allowed one hit and struck out three in two shutout innings Friday against the Pirates.
    Atlanta won 5-4 in 10 innings. Smoltz has had exceptional springs two years running, only to get roughed up in his first starts of the regular season. Maybe this time he can get that early shelling out of the way before the end of March.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Tim Hudson pitched two scoreless innings Saturday against the Astros.
    Hudson expects to be stronger this year after lifting weights six days per week in the offseason. He had cut back on his offseason program the previous two winters because of his oblique struggles. Time will tell whether the change will do him much good.

Willy Aybar finally arrived in camp Saturday, 10 days late.
    He was stuck in the Dominican Republic with visa problems. Aybar, who is out of options, is expected to serve as a backup at third and second for Atlanta.
    About time Aybar get to camp.

MLB ERA
    Martin Prado went 3-for-4 with a double and a stolen base Sunday as the Braves beat the Dodgers 4-1.
    While it's clear that the Braves want to see Kelly Johnson win the starting job at second base, Prado appears to be second in line for an opportunity. We're guessing he'd be a well below average regular, but he is something of a sleeper in NL-only leagues.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    You plan on going? That would be a great birthday right there.
    Yeah, I definately plan on going.

I plan on attending lots of games. In the past I've been a broke joke, but now I got money and plan on making my way out to more games.

MLB ERA
    That would be awesome. I am still hoping to go down for a game or two. I have a family reunion to go to in July but they are going to be away during that time.

MLB ERA
    Craig Wilson went 2-for-3 with a double and three RBI Monday against the Nationals.
    Matt Diaz looks like the favorite to start in left field and the Braves say they'd like to use Scott Thorman against lefties as well as righties, but at-bats are going to have to be found for Wilson. He has more fantasy potential than either Diaz or Thorman, and it's not like the guys ahead of him (unless Ryan Langerhans counts) are known for their sterling defensive reputations.

Lance Cormier beat the Nationals by pitching three shutout innings on Monday.
    He struck out three. The Braves are rooting for Kyle Davies to step up and win the opening in their rotation, but they do see Cormier as the top fallback if it doesn't happen. The loser of the competition is likely to head to Triple-A.

The Braves revealed Monday that Rafael Soriano was nursing a sore right shoulder.
    It was definitely curious that he hadn't been heard from since his late arrival to camp, though he said he was "100 percent" then. Manager Bobby Cox said Soriano could throw in the bullpen on Tuesday or Wednesday and make his spring debut later this week. However, this is something to watch.

I really hope Wilson gets 400 or more at-bats this offseason. He's a potent 1Bman/COFer with some pop, and while I would love to give Diaz every chance we can, I think it shouldn't come at Wilson's expense as much as Thorman's, who's unproven in every way.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    After throwing a successful bullpen session Saturday, Mike Hampton (elbow) is now optimistic that he'll be ready to begin the season on time.
    Hampton was very frustrated after a poor bullpen session earlier in the week, so things can change quickly. If a scheduled bullpen session Tuesday goes well, Hampton will be on track to make his spring debut Friday. "I'm optimistic," Hampton said. "I feel I can get there. [Saturday] gave me hope."

Kyle Davies yielded two runs and five hits in two innings Tuesday versus the Nationals.
    He struck out two and walked two. Davies was perfect over two innings in his first start, so this isn't a big setback. He remains the leading candidate to act as the Braves' fifth starter.

Kelly Johnson doubled, singled and scored three runs as the Braves' leadoff hitter in Tuesday's 7-2 victory.
    It doesn't sound like Johnson has had any particularly embarrassing moments at second base to date, at least not in games. The Braves are hoping he'll emerge as their regular second baseman and leadoff hitter this year.

MLB ERA
    Kelly Johnson doubled, singled and scored three runs as the Braves' leadoff hitter in Tuesday's 7-2 victory.

The Braves are hoping he'll emerge as their regular second baseman and leadoff hitter this year.
    Im hoping so as well. Has anyone seen any of these games this year?

Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast