Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

Rookie ERA
    Well it would be nice to see him play. Since he didn't get to that much last year.

MLB ERA
    Mike Hampton threw 20-25 fastballs Wednesday in his first mound session in four months.
    Hampton had some scar tissue break up in his surgically repaired elbow while throwing in October. "The type of surgery I had, there are always going to be some reservations until I can get out there in a real game," he said. "I feel pretty good. Not great, but hopefully [I'll feel] great by the end of spring training."
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    John Smoltz and his wife, Dyan, are getting a divorce after 16 years of marriage.
    We'd rather not have to report stuff like this at all, but personal problems can have an effect on on-field performance. Smoltz, though, is enough of a veteran that it seems unlikely there's anything for fantasy owners to worry about here.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    ATLANTA -- By coming to terms on a one-year deal with Oscar Villarreal on Sunday, the Braves ensured they'd escape this offseason without having to experience an arbitration hearing.

Villarreal, who had been the team's final unsigned arbitration-eligible player, will make $925,000 with his new contract. When the two parties exchanged arbitration figures in January, the right-handed reliever was seeking $1.3 million and the Braves were offering $860,000.
    Source: AtlantaBraves.com

MLB ERA
    Rafael Soriano won't report to Braves camp until next week because of visa problems in the Dominican Republic.
    Manager Bobby Cox didn't sound concerned at all. "He pitched in the winter league," Cox said. "He's fine. A guy like that, you don't worry about at all because he has pitched and has his program going."

Phil Stockman underwent minor surgery last month for the leg injury that ended his 2006 season early.
    Stockman injured his hamstring in late June, and though he did make some appearances in the minors later, he spent the rest of the year on Atlanta's DL. The Austrailian right-hander will be ready to compete for a job next month, but he's a long shot to make the Braves. There are only two openings in the Atlanta pen, with Tyler Yates, Blaine Boyer and Chad Paronto serving as the favorites. Joey Devine, Peter Moylan and Jonathan Johnson will also be in the mix. Lance Cormier, if he fails to win a rotation spot, is another possibility.

It will be nice to see Stockman play, I think that he has good potential.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Pending free agent Andruw Jones said Tuesday that he plans to seek "market value" on his next contract.
    "It's not about being greedy or being humble," Jones said. "It's just the fact that what the market is, that's what it is. And that's where I'm going." Jones, who reportedly shed 10 pounds during the offseason, added that he's unlikely to give the Braves a "hometown discount" and will veto any attempt to trade him during the season.
    Someone one another forum said he has a link to the "inside" and he said that Chipper has been talking to other players to see if they can re-work there contract to try to keep Jones. Not much of a source but didn't Chipper himself take a paycut to keep another player in the past?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I always like Chipper!!! But Andruw sounds like he wants to go to the highest bidder only. That sounds like greed to me. I hope for the Braves sake, they are the highest, but see what others are going to offer first. If you catch my drift here.

MLB ERA
    Earlier this week, Chipper said that he thinks Smoltz might leave if he's forced out like Maddux & Glavine were but said he thought Andruw would stay here.

I don't think it's greed. It's just he want to get paid. I can't totally blame him, but I hope the Braves don't low ball him an offer when that time comes. *crossing fingers*

MLB ERA
    He is worth it that is for sure. I don't believe it's greed either. He just wants to get paid what he is worth. Who can blame him for that?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I like Andruw, and I would be the same way, I want what I am worth (market value), but it is still greed. My point wasnt meant to blast him for that, it was just a point. I try not to think that $$ is the end all, but in many situations it is the end all.

MLB ERA
    Mike Hampton (elbow) faced live hitters Wednesday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery.
    "It feels pretty good," Hampton said. "Not great, but pretty good. I know there's going to be a lot of expectations, but I want to be smart about it. Little bit at a time. For now, I just want to come out here and throw free and easy."

MLB ERA
    Chris Woodward was able to work out Thursday despite a sinus infection that caused him major problems earlier this week.
    Woodward described Monday as the worst day he’d ever endured for excruciating pain. Although he's on meds, he showed few lingering effects today.

While it's not in the Braves' immediate plans, manager Bobby Cox said Macay McBride may someday get another chance to start.
    "We'll see what we need now," Cox said. "But with that kind of stuff ... Man, he's shown unbelievable improvement. He's even hard for the catchers to catch." Unfortunately, McBride ceased being a sleeper saves candidate with the acquisition of Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez. He might have to start games in order to amass any fantasy value.

Rafael Soriano arrived in camp on Thursday and said he felt "100 percent."
    He was a week late because of visa problems, but since he pitched winter ball, the Braves don't seem worried about the missed time. Soriano also believes they shouldn't be concerned at all about his reduced velocity during winter ball. Before pitching his first game in the Dominican Republic, he'd thrown only five bullpen sessions and still was occasionally feeling dizzy. The dizziness has now cleared up.

MLB ERA
    With surgery not an option, Chipper Jones expects to spend the rest of his career playing with bad feet.
    "There's not a foot doctor in America who will touch me right now," Jones said. "There's all these horror stories about breaking the feet and resetting them. No one is going to take a professional athlete and take a chance on ending his career. To be honest with you, I'd much rather just play my way through it. I'll look at it down the road when I'm done playing." Jones has been especially bothered by the foot pain the last two years. Rest doesn't help, so he'll be in the lineup when the rest of him feels up to it. Still, he's not a good bet to reach 500 at-bats this season.

Phil Stockman, who underwent minor hamstring surgery in January, felt no discomfort while throwing his first bullpen session on Thursday.
    Stockman will battle for a spot in the Atlanta bullpen this spring.

Braves manager Bobby Cox said he would wait to make a decision on whether Scott Thorman would open the season as a full-time player.
    Braves GM John Schuerholz made it clear last month that he didn't see Thorman as a platoon player, but Cox seems open to using Craig Wilson should Thorman struggle against lefties this spring. A platoon likely would be for the best.

MLB ERA
    It's a shame Chipper has had so many injury problems. He's a hell of a player when 100%, which he hasn't been in a long time.

Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast