Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    The Mariners indicated to John Thomson's agent that he'll be a fallback option if they don't land their primary targets at the winter meetings.
    Seattle needs at least two and maybe three starting pitchers, and Thomson would be an inexpensive choice to fill one of the holes. If the Mariners decide he's not a priority, it won't be long before someone sneaks in and grabs him.
    Source: Seattle Times

The Angels reportedly have strong interest in Adam LaRoche, and the Braves might be open to parting with the first baseman in a deal involving Chone Figgins.
    Figgins would be the speedy leadoff hitter the Braves want, and his addition would make it easier to part with Marcus Giles, potentially for bullpen help.
    Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Larry O'Brien believes the Braves and Pirates are still talking about swapping Adam LaRoche and Mike Gonzalez.
    He also says that the possibility of a LaRoche-for-Chone Figgins deal with the Angels remains alive, but that the Braves would likely also want Casey Kotchman. If the Braves traded for Figgins, they'd then likely move Marcus Giles for bullpen help. First base might be filled internally with Scott Thorman or someone like Carlos Pena, Craig Wilson or maybe even Ryan Klesko could be signed.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Knowing that the Dodgers might be a possibility, agent Scott Boras hedged a bit when asked whether Andruw Jones could reconsider waiving his no-trade clause.
    "Obviously there is new information," Boras said. "In this situation, it's something that Andruw has control over. I would imagine since his home's [in Atlanta] and his family's [in Atlanta] that he will be [in Atlanta] this year." Boras previously said Jones would definitely play out his contract with Atlanta next season. However, there are rumors that the Dodgers and Braves may have discussed a deal, and Los Angeles is one place Jones might be willing to consider. One complicating factor: the Dodgers are still pretty upset with Boras about being blindsided by J.D. Drew's decision to opt out of his contract.
    Source: Braves.mlb.com

MLB ERA
    The Braves continue to negotiate with Daryle Ward, the only one of their free agents they're trying to re-sign.
    If Adam LaRoche is traded, Ward could compete with Scott Thorman for playing time at first base next year.

Kelly Johnson, who missed last season following Tommy John surgery, is working out at second, third and short, in addition to left field.
    Johnson's elbow still might not be at 100 percent in the early portion of next year, which could make second base an easier position for him than left field. Johnson was a shortstop in the minors and he has plenty of offensive upside, so he could be a nice sleeper for next year if Marcus Giles is traded.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves are just waiting for some information on Mike Gonzalez's elbow before going through with the Gonzalez-for-Adam LaRoche trade with the Pirates.
    Also, it's worth noting that the article, which was published at 5 p.m. ET, says nothing about the reported Rafael Soriano-for-Horacio Ramirez trade with the Mariners.

Rookie ERA
    Oh I hope Adam doesn't get traded.

MLB ERA
    With Horacio Ramirez reportedly on his way to Seattle, Kyle Davies becomes the top candidate to act as the Braves' fifth starter next season.
    It's possible that GM John Schuerholz will look for outside help, but he is working under some pretty strict budgetary limitations. Unless Marcus Giles or, less likely, Andruw Jones is moved, the Braves probably won't upgrade. What they may do is bring in a couple of veterans on minor league deal.

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, both Rafael Soriano and Horacio Ramirez will have to pass physicals before the deal between the Mariners and Braves gets done.
    As a result, it appears unlikely that the trade will become official tonight. Both pitchers have had their share of injury issues, so it's possible the deal could fall apart.

The proposed Adam LaRoche-for-Mike Gonzalez deal between the Braves and Pirates has fallen through, according to MLB.com.
    The Braves could have quickly assembled one of the game's best bullpens by bringing in both Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano, but they may have felt they didn't need both, not if the price was LaRoche. There might be a slight chance that talks could be revisited, with perhaps Paul Maholm and Jose Castillo instead going to Atlanta. However, the Braves might be leaning toward keeping their first baseman. The Pirates could now focus on picking up Ryan Church from the Nationals.
    Source: RotoWorld

MLB ERA
    According to manager Bobby Cox, the Braves have no plans to move Jarrod Saltalamacchia out from behind the plate next season.
    Saltalamacchia is likely to eventually become a first baseman if he remains with the Braves, but he still has the potential to be a regular catcher. The Braves don't want to move him now in case they need to trade him later.

Sportsticker is reporting that the Cubs and first baseman Daryle Ward have agreed to a one-year contract.
    Ward would back up Derrek Lee and serve as the team's top pinch-hitter, replacing John Mabry.

With Rafael Soriano filling the Braves' need for a setup man, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution believes talks with the Angels regarding a swap of Adam LaRoche for Chone Figgins and Casey Kotchman could be revisited.
    The Braves previously wanted Scot Shields for LaRoche, something the Angels had no interest in. There's a better chance that they'd part with both Figgins and Kotchman. If the Braves made the deal, they'd then trade or non-tender Marcus Giles, opening up second base for Figgins.

Braves acquired RHP Rafael Soriano from the Mariners for LHP Horacio Ramirez.
    Like candy from a baby. Soriano underwent Tommy John surgery in Aug. 2004 and still has some significant questions about his arm, so it is understandable that the Mariners preferred J.J. Putz. Still, the soon-to-be 27-year-old is about as dominant as any reliever in baseball when he's on. He should be a lights-out setup man in front of Bob Wickman next season, and he'll be the favorite to take over as Atlanta's closer in 2008. A great trade for the Braves.
    Source: RotoWorld

MLB ERA
    A Braves official said the proposed Adam LaRoche-for-Mike Gonzalez deal was killed by Atlanta when the Pirates wouldn't give up a second player.
    It wasn't revealed who the second player was, but Jose Castillo is one possibility. It seems unlikely that the talks will be revisited.
    Source: Pirates.mlb.com

MLB ERA
    With Horacio Ramirez gone, the Braves could have Oscar Villarreal battle Kyle Davies for the fifth spot in the rotation next spring.
    Villarreal made four starts last season and gave up seven earned runs in 18 innings. If he returns to the pen, he'll likely get a lot of seventh-inning work in front of Rafael Soriano and Bob Wickman.

Since there hasn't been as much interest in Marcus Giles as expected, the Braves could end up non-tendering the second baseman.
    The Braves need to save some additional money if they're going to enter 2007 with an $80 million payroll, and they no longer seems to be considering dealing Tim Hudson. That may mean Giles will have to go, even if the Braves don't get anything in return. The Padres, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Reds are among those that could be interested if Giles is non-tendered.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    Well that is good news

MLB ERA
    Braves signed second baseman-outfielder Willie Harris to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    The deal was actually done weeks ago. Harris, 28, is a .238/.306/.294 hitter in 899 at-bats as a major leaguer. He can play quality defense at second base and in center field, and he walks enough that he'd be a solid bench player if he could just hit .260. Still, he'll need a big spring to make the Braves.

Instead of again trying to land Adam LaRoche in trade talks with Atlanta, the Pirates may check into the availability of Scott Thorman.
    If LaRoche was traded, Thorman was supposed to enter camp as the favorite to take over as the Braves' third baseman. The soon-to-be 25-year-old hit .290/.360/.508 in 309 at-bats in Triple-A last season and .234/.263/.438 in 128 at-bats in the majors. The Braves likely would be open to trading him if they're convinced there's no great deal for LaRoche out there.

The Cubs will give Daryle Ward a one-year, $1 million contract with a club option for a second year.
    The deal, first reported on Thursday, is expected to be finalized this week.
    Source: RotoWorld.com

MLB ERA
    Though talks regarding a one-for-one trade died last week, the Pirates and Braves still could discuss an expanded deal involving Adam LaRoche, according to the Beaver County Times.
    The paper believes the two sides have discussed a trade that would send LaRoche and Kyle Davies to the Pirates for Mike Gonzalez, Jose Castillo, Nate McLouth and Humberto Cota. However, if the Braves decided Gonzalez wasn't worth LaRoche alone, it's hard to see how this would appeal to them. Castillo may or may not be a huge downgrade at second base from Marcus Giles, depending on how his defense bounces back. McLouth would be another nice fourth outfielder on a team that already has two of them in Ryan Langerhans and Matt Diaz. Cota is about to be non-tendered and shouldn't have any trade value at all. The Braves can likely do better elsewhere for Davies. If the Braves really like Castillo, then maybe acquiring him straight up for Scott Thorman would be an option.

Rafael Soriano's velocity is reportedly down in the Dominican Winter League as he works his way back from a concussion sustained in late August.
    Soriano reportedly topped out at 91 mph in a recent outing and has given up seven runs -- five earned -- while striking out just one batter in six innings. It soulds like there's real reason for concern, but the Braves did give Soriano a physical before acquiring him last week and likely did some homework besides. The slow start after the wicked shot he took off Vladimir Guerrero's bat shouldn't come as a surprise.

An American League scout told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the Rays would definitely give up Rocco Baldelli in exchange for Chuck James and Yunel Escobar.
    It'd be a fair trade, but it's one the Braves apparently aren't looking to make. The Rays have reportedly rejected a proposal that didn't involve Lee. It might have included Escobar, Kyle Davies and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Braves non-tendered RHP Chris Reitsma.
    Reitsma underwent ulnar transplant surgery in July. He's expected to be ready for spring training, but the Braves weren't going to bring him back at $2.5 million-$3.5 million. There should be quite a bit of interest in him as a middle reliever or a setup man.

Braves non-tendered second baseman Marcus Giles.
    We still think it's the wrong move for Atlanta, but GM John Schuerholz believed cutting Giles was the best way for him to get under budget. If the Braves fail to find a replacement, then Willy Aybar, Martin Prado, Kelly Johnson and Pete Orr will battle for playing time in spring training. They may trade for Jose Castillo or sign Mark Loretta or Ronnie Belliard to a cheap deal. Giles would likely prefer to join the Padres and play with his brother, though Petco Park is the worst possible place for him to try to rebuild his value. Other candidates to show some interest include the Mets, Red Sox and Blue Jays.

While the Padres are likely the favorites for his services, Marcus Giles will consider the Mets.
    "We're going to explore all the possibilities, and they're certainly someone we'll look at closely," agent Joe Bick said. The Mets say they're content to go with Jose Valentin at second base, but Giles likely would be an upgrade, especially against left-handers. The Mets' problems versus lefties were partially addressed with the Moises Alou signing, but they could still use more help.

The Padres have made a contract offer to free agent Marcus Giles, reportedly for $3 million-$4 million for one year.
    Giles is worth more than that, but it's unclear who else might give it to him. Mets GM Omar Minaya said Wednesday that he intends to go forward with Jose Valentin at second base, and the Red Sox probably don't have much room left in their budget after signing Daisuke Matsuzaka. Giles wants to be in San Diego and likely will end up there.

MLB ERA
    Tim Hudson, who had cutback on his offseason weight training the last two years because of his oblique troubles, is back lifting six days per week this winter.
    He should benefit from being stronger, but who is to say he won't tweak the oblique again? It's an issue he's likely to deal with from time to time throughout the remainder of his career. He doesn't look like a great bet for 2007 to us.

The Red Sox are believed to be in the running for free agent Marcus Giles.
    The guess is that Giles will go to San Diego to play with his brother, but the Padres' initial offer came in at just $3 million-$4 million. The Red Sox could do better than that on a one-year deal.

The Marlins have reached out to the agent for free-agent reliever Chris Reitsma.
    If the Marlins can't land Armando Benitez, perhaps Reitsma will get a chance to close in Florida next season. Also interested in Reitsma are the Yankees, Phillies and Royals, among others. The Braves, too, would like to re-sign him.

The New York Times reports that the Yankees, Braves and Pirates are still talking about a three-way deal sending Adam LaRoche to Pittsburgh, Mike Gonzalez to the Yankees and Melky Cabrera to Atlanta.
    There was a report yesterday that discussions regarding a three-team deal were dead, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Considering that the Pirates aren't going to be winning anything within the next couple of years, they'd likely be better off just grabbing Cabrera for themselves. Still, their goal was to add a left-handed power hitter and the best interests of the team aren't going to get in the way.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Why are the Braves looking for offense, they need pitching more than hitting. That's my opinion. I don't like that trade offer. I say stay away Braves!

MLB ERA
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's David O'Brien doesn't believe the Braves will trade Adam LaRoche to the Pirates in either a two- or three-team deal.
    Says O'Brien, the reported three-way deal that would send Mike Gonzalez to the Yankees and Melky Cabrera to the Braves hasn’t been confirmed by either an Atlanta or Pittsburgh official, on or off the record. A Pirates official said no deal was imminent and doubted the Braves would do it in that form anyway. O'Brien doesn't mention the AP rumor that the Braves and Orioles were again discussing LaRoche and Brian Roberts, this time in a one-for-one deal.

Marcus Giles is set to sign a one-year deal with the Padres, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    The contract may include an option for 2008. Not only will Giles fail to get the raise he expected, but by going to San Diego, he's hurting his chances of pulling down a big contract as a free agent next season. Petco Park will hold down his numbers and make him a lot less interesting for fantasy purposes. At least he'll get to play with his brother.

Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast