Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

High school first baseman Cody Johnson was drafted 24th overall by the Braves on Tuesday.
    Johnson, a left-handed hitter, batted .522 with 14 homers as a high school senior. There could be 40-homer potential here, but he's not expected to move quickly. He's only going to turn 18 in August.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

John Foster had successful Tommy John surgery on his left elbow Tuesday.
    That Foster spent two months trying to avoid the procedure may prevent him from contending for a job next spring. The Braves probably won't carry him on their 40-man roster all winter long.

John Smoltz, working on three days' rest, pitched seven innings and allowed three runs Wednesday in a loss to the Nationals.
    Smoltz threw 104 pitches tonight after lasting 110 pitches on Saturday. He should still be regarded as one of the NL's best pitchers for now, but his stock is on the decline. With the way he's being used, it seems rather likely that he'll break down again.

Horacio Ramirez surrendered three runs and eight hits in eight innings Tuesday in a win over the Nationals.
    Ramirez had a 5/1 K/BB ratio tonight after opening the year at 6/6 in 17 innings. He'll be a sell-high candidate with a few more starts like this.

Kenny Ray pitched a perfect ninth with a two-run lead to earn his third save Tuesday against the Nationals.
    Ray has shaken off an ugly outing on Saturday to turn in perfect innings each of the last two days. He's back as the short-term favorite for saves in Atlanta.

Braves activated LHP Chuck James from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Richmond.
    There wasn't any room for James right now. He could join the rotation later on if Jorge Sosa struggles or another pitcher gets hurt, making him a sleeper in NL-only league

Kyle Davies, who underwent surgery to repair a torn groin muscle last month, has resumed running and playing catch.
    Davies isn't expected to return until after the All-Star break, but it is a positive sign that he was able to run and throw just two weeks after the operation

Brian McCann (ankle) might not return from the disabled list until Tuesday.
    "We'll have to wait and see," McCann said when asked when he thought he'd be ready to play. "I think in a couple of days." McCann is still wearing an air cast on his injured ankle. He went 2-for-7 during two rehab games with Single-A Rome this week, but he didn't catch either game. He needs to prove his ankle can withstand the stress of catching back-to-back games before the Braves will activate him

Tim Hudson took a one-hit shutout into the eighth inning on Saturday and ended up allowing two runs and three hits through eight innings in a win over the Astros.
    Hudson walked a season-high four batters, but that didn't do him a lot of harm against a Houston lineup missing Lance Berkman, Morgan Ensberg and Craig Biggio. He improved to 6-4 with a 3.79 ERA

Kenny Ray notched his fourth save by pitching a scoreless ninth with a two-run lead Saturday against the Astros.
    Ray has taken over as manager Bobby Cox's top choice for save chances, and that's not going to change unless he blows a couple of opportunities. While the Braves likely will attempt to trade for a closer in July, there's no guarantee they'll get one, making it possible that Ray will have fantasy value for the rest of the season.

Chipper Jones doubled in a run Saturday against the Astros to become the Atlanta Braves' RBI leader.
    Jones' 1,144th RBI moved him past Dale Murphy for third place on the Braves' all-time list. Hank Aaron (2,202) and Eddie Mathews (1,388) remain ahead of Jones when Boston and Milwaukee are included.

Atlanta manager Bobby Cox says he plans on giving Wilson Betemit more playing time.
    "I'm going to start playing Betemit as much as I can at second, third and shortstop," Cox said. Betemit is batting .304 this season and hit leadoff for the Braves on Saturday. Marcus Giles will likely lose playing time to Betemit.

Braves manager Bobby Cox said after Sunday's game that he expects Horacio Ramirez to make his next start.
    Ramirez left Sunday's game after being hit in the forehead by a Lance Berkman line drive. "The only thing I remember was releasing the pitch," said Ramirez, who had a swollen forehead. "I don't recall the pitch or the ball hitting me."

Chris Reitsma gave up five runs and seven hits in two-thirds of an inning of relief Sunday against the Astros.
    OK, now this has gotten ridiculous. Reitsma has allowed 11 runs in his last three appearances, taking his ERA all the way up to 9.11. Maybe he's hurting. Reitsma surely isn't a true closer, but he's never been this bad

Marcus Giles went 0-for-5 against the Astros on Sunday and is in a 3-for-26 slump.
    Giles hasn't played badly over the last month, but he's been quite the fantasy bust as the Braves' leadoff hitter this season. Maybe the club would consider making him available in exchange for pitching help next month. Moving him would free up a regular spot for Wilson Betemi

Horacio Ramirez left Sunday's game in the second inning after being hit in the forehead by a line drive off the bat of Lance Berkman.
    His day was about over anyway. Ramirez gave up seven runs -- six earned -- in 1 2/3 innings before being removed. He was able to walk off under his own power, so he's probably day-to-day.

Joey Devine, who has been diagnosed with a degerative disc in his back, will resume pitching at extended spring training later this week.
    Devine has been resting for nearly two months now. He could resume pitching in the minors by the end of the month, but the Braves probably aren't counting on him making a positive contribution in the second half.

Phil Stockman is expected to be called up from Triple-A Richmond to take Chris Reitsma's spot on the roster.
    Stockman, an Australian reliever, hasn't allowed a run in his past 18 innings for Richmond. He has a 0.91 ERA and two saves in 16 games with 39 strikeouts in 29 2/3 innings this season. Stockman shouldn't initially have any fantasy value

Chris Reitsma is going on the disabled list with numbness in his pitching hand.
    It'd have to come of something of a relief to the Braves if Reitsma's struggles were partly physical.

Ryan Langerhans was a late scratch from Tuesday's lineup due to a strained left hip flexor.
    Matt Diaz replaced him. Langerhans is day-to-day.

MLB ERA
    Stockman was called up. I am glad Reitsma is on the DL. Hopefully now we can get some saves that is if we can even get some opportunities.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Judgin by the way this team's playin, I think not.

John Thomson was removed after six innings Wednesday because of a finger blister.
    Thomson allowed just two runs against the Marlins before leaving and deserved the win tonight, but Kenny Ray blew a three-run lead in the eighth. If the blister causes him to miss a start or two, Chuck James could be called up.

Kenny Ray blew a three-run lead in the eighth inning Wednesday against the Marlins.
    It looked like manager Bobby Cox was going to ask Ray to go two innings for the save, but Ray gave up a 5-2 lead in the eighth and didn't come back out for the ninth. It's just the fourth time in 31 appearances that Ray has given up a run. Unfortunately, when he does struggle, he's tended to give up three runs at a time. Ray will remain the Braves' closer for now

Jeff Francoeur had a two-run homer and an RBI single against Dontrelle Willis in Wednesday's loss.
    Francoeur now has 14 homers and 47 RBI in 274 at-bats this season. After being called up last year, he finished with 14 homers and 45 RBI in 257 at-bats. Obviously, he hasn't been quite as good of a player this year as he was last -- his OBP is down to .269 from .336 and he's 0-for-5 in steal attempts -- but he has been decent enough since the end of April

Ryan Langerhans remains questionable to start on Thursday due to his strained hip flexor.
    Langerhans pulled the muscle while warming up for Tuesday's game. "I don't think that it's anything serious, but it still hurts," Langerhans said. He remains day-to-day

Horacio Ramirez is still scheduled to start Sunday's game against Boston, but he returned to Atlanta to visit a neurologist on Thursday.
    Ramirez left Sunday's game after being hit in the forehead by a Lance Berkman line drive. "He felt dizzy after a couple of minutes [on Tuesday]," Braves manager Bobby Cox said of Ramirez. "He still wants to pitch, but we'll see." Chuck James could be called up from Triple-A Richmond if the Braves need to put Ramirez on the disabled list. J

The Braves believe that bone spurs were causing the numbness in Chris Reitsma's throwing hand. He's expected to opt for rest over surgery.
    "He'll be fine after a while, I think," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. Reitsma said the numbness certainly had an effect on his location and affected him in nearly every appearance this season. "I felt it more than I didn't feel it," he said.

Brian Jordan left Friday's game in the fourth inning with an undisclosed injury.
    Jordan had some troubled with a hard grounder hit right at him and was replaced by Adam LaRoche at first base

Horacio Ramirez was scratched from his scheduled start Saturday because of a head injury.
    Lance Cormier will start tomorrow, and John Smoltz will pitch Sunday prior to Monday's off day. Ramirez could then slide back into the rotation on Thursday if his recovery goes well.

Braves recalled RHP Lance Cormier from Triple-A Richmond.
    Cormier will start Saturday in place of Horacio Ramirez, which might help the Red Sox break out of their slump. The right-hander had a 6.10 ERA and a 9/17 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings for the Braves before being sent down last month. His ERA in two starts at Richmond was 5.40

Marcus Giles is back at second base for Friday's game against the Red Sox.
    Giles didn't play yesterday due to flu-like symptoms

Horacio Ramirez is unlikely to make his scheduled start on Sunday.
    Ramirez visited a neurologist on Thursday who said he doesn't have a concussion, but he still doesn't feel quite right. The Braves will likely skip his turn in the rotation this time through and have him pitch early next week.

John Thomson is likely headed to the disabled list due to a blister on one of his fingers.
    "It will probably be two weeks," said Thomson. "I've had this in the past, so I know what to expect. It takes a while for the skin to grow back and I can't do anything until then." Thomson was removed from Wednesday's game in the sixth inning due to the blister. Lance Cormier or Chuck James could get called up to replace Thomson in the rotation

Horacio Ramirez (head) threw 60 pitches prior to Sunday's game and is likely to start Thursday.
    Ramirez will be facing the Blue Jays, so it'd be a good idea to reserve him for the week in NL-only leagues.

Braves placed first baseman-outfielder Brian Jordan on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 17, with a bruised right shoulder.
    Jordan's numbers were well down over the last month, so while the Braves would rather have someone who can platoon with Adam LaRoche at first base, they don't lose much here

Braves recalled first baseman-outfielder Scott Thorman from the 15-day disabled list.
    Thorman is a left-handed hitter, so he can't platoon with Adam LaRoche. He'll get starts at first base, left field and maybe third base, depending on the severity of Chipper Jones' injury. It might lead to some short-term value in NL-only leagues.

Chipper Jones is questionable for Sunday's game due to his bruised right thumb.
    Jones suffered the thumb injury during Friday's game and was forced to sit on Saturday. Wilson Betemit will fill in for Jones if he can't play.

Lance Cormier was removed after giving up four runs and seven hits in four innings Saturday against the Red Sox.
    The Braves didn't have enough notice to set up Chuck James for the start today, but they would have been better off throwing some generic left-hander against Boston. With seven hits and three walks allowed, Cormier was lucky to come out of the outing as well as he did. He shouldn't make any additional starts.

Ryan Langerhans returned to action as a pinch-hitter on Saturday and walked.
    Even though he said he felt good enough to play left field, Langerhans missed a fifth straight start due to a strained left hip. Matt Diaz went 1-for-3 with a walk in his place, but he also committed a misplay in left field that turned into a double for Alex Gonzalez

Chipper Jones didn't start Saturday a bruised right thumb he suffered during Friday's game.
    Jones took some swings in the batting cage before determining it would be best to rest the injury. Wilson Betemit is filling in at third base and in the third spot in the order

Jeff Francoeur had a three-run homer and an RBI single in Sunday night's loss to the Braves.
    Francoeur is batting just .224 this month, but five of his 15 hits have been homers and he's also driven in 13 runs in 17 games

Chipper Jones was used as a pinch-hitter on Sunday and grounded into a fielder's choice.
    Jones didn't start because of his bruised right thumb. He'll probably be back at third base after Monday's off day.

Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast