Thread: Dunn Rejected Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

D'Backs Dunn Rejected Deal

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Adam Dunn turned down a two-year contract offer from the Diamondbacks shortly before the team declined to offer him arbitration Monday.
    Now that signing Dunn won't require the loss of a first-round draft pick he's a far more attractive free agent target and should be able to secure a long-term deal. Arizona's poor financial situation convinced the Diamondbacks that they couldn't risk Dunn accepting arbitration and forcing a one-year deal worth around $15 million.
    I cannot believe the Dbacks traded for half a season of Dunn and will get nothing for it. That is just poor management but not a surprise coming from this organization. Dunn has been under the radar all offseason and this should open a lot of GMs eyes.

MLB ERA

Re: Dunn Rejected Deal

I agree reefer. Poor management. They don't even get a pick for him. That's just bad
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Why would you ever decline arbitration, the pick is worth more than the million or 2 you'd have to eat to move him if he gets overpaid in arby
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

But it's not a million or two, he'd get paid 15 million in arbitration, and they'd be stuck with him, then, they'd have to go through the whole thing again. I mean, in this case they probably should have offered it, but what do I know?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If Dunn did except it, it would only be for a year and the Dbacks could move him during the year for a couple of players. I know the Dbacks are hard up for cash but winning helps that and Dunn, even for a year, could help the Dbacks win. Now the Dbacks have given up three players for Dunn and will only get one crap shoot draft pick.

MLB ERA

Agreed, but I think the Diamondbacks didn't want to be burdened with a fairly high contract like his, only to deal with the same situation next year.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Agreed, but I think the Diamondbacks didn't want to be burdened with a fairly high contract like his, only to deal with the same situation next year.
    I thought a big reason the Diamondbacks traded for Dunn was because they wanted the draft pick. I never heard that they had any intentions of resigning him. It was all about the draft pick. That is the only way the trade made much sense. The Diamondbacks and everyone else knew about how much Dunn will get in arbitration. So if they weren't willing to risk it, then why didn't thye thinkg of that before they made the trade?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

In defense of the Dbacks on this one Crazy, the market wasn't as bad then as it is now. The Dow Jones continues to fall off a cliff and it is hurting the entire economy despite what George Will says. They had to fire 30 front office employees after the season ended. That said, they still should have offered arbitration. Two draft picks is better than one. The Dbacks do have money coming off the books with O-dog, Lyon and Cruz leaving. If, and a pretty big if IMO, Dunn did accept arbitration the Dbacks could have traded him and it wouldn't be the same situation.

MLB ERA

Well, from what I hear, Dunn has been getting very little interest from teams this offseason, so he'd be tempted to take arby...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dunn was under the radar but I think that had more to do with Teixeira and Manny still being out there. Once they are signed, Dunn will get offers to play.

MLB ERA

Yeah, but Boras clients won't sign till January anyway....Dunn would risk getting stuck with less than 2 months to sign a deal.

AA ERA

And two months is plenty of time to negotiate a contract, especially as teams scurry to pick off any remaining names of value left on the FA market after all the big names have already signed else where.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Once Teixeira and Manny are signed, Dunn would look like a bargain for most teams who missed out on those two.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Alright, time to come back home Dunn.