Thread: Scherzer to leave D-Backs' Rotation

MLB ERA

Scherzer to leave D-Backs' Rotation

Max Scherzer will leave the rotation and either head to the 'pen or AAA-Tuscon tomorrow when Doug Davis takes the mound.

Manager Bob Melvin said he is very confident that Scherzer can be successful in the major leagues in the future. I definitely agree with Melvin here.

In other news, Davis will try to no-hit cancer after Jon Lester set the precedent. I certainly will be rooting for him!
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Scherzer to leave D-Backs' Rotation

I would assume Scherzer would go to AAA where they can guarantee him pitching time on a more regular schedule. If his future is as a starter, than what good does it do him to pitch in mopup situations out of the pen?

I've always been a fan of that type of move with players in those situations. It doesn't really do new, young players any good if they're not getting playing time to be on the MLB roster. I guess it really depends on the situation, but I believe that to be the case especially for pitchers. They should be in the roll that you expect them to be in. Scherzer has stuff he needs to work on and he would have a better shot at doing that pitching on regular rest in AAA IMHO.

Pitchers definitely need to be pitching on a regular schedule if they are going to progress. The same could be said for position players too though, although a pitchers development is much different than a hitters. Its good to see Melvin backing him and saying he has plans for him in the future, a players mental game can be destroyed in situations like this if they are not cared for correctly.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

oh definitely...the mental aspect is huge for youngsters. There's no need to rush him. Sometimes guys can benefit in other aspects by being up with the big league club, but as far as pitching...he's going to progress more if he's doing it on a more regular basis versus competition than by pitching occasionally out of the pen. Starting pitchers all have a routine and going from starter to reliever requires a different kind of routine...not everyone can make that transition and if his future is as a starter, then you risk stunting his growth by moving him to the pen.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I guess I can buy that a pitcher needs to be kept on a regular schedule, even though I think mopup situations can serve as good practice on getting major league hitters out. Plus, the Pacific Coast League is a very hitter-friendly league. I'd think twice before sending down my prized pitching prospect there.

MLB ERA

Yea, it's hitter-friendly...so you take those results with a grain of salt, but it should be good for him in that case. It'll be close to MLB type hitters. He's only 23 so a little more time at AAA isn't going to hurt him. And if someone gets injured, then he can come back up to the rotation without missing a beat if he's starting in AAA and sticking with his usual routine.

MLB ERA

I think that the minors are the best place to work out flaws. Just ask Mike Pelfrey. If you try to work a guys problems out in the majors, you can hurt his development and set him back a year or more...