Thread: Doug Davis has thyroid cancer

MLB ERA

Doug Davis has thyroid cancer

Mlb.com story
    The D-backs' excitement about the 2008 season opener was tempered on Friday when they learned that left-hander Doug Davis had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. The details have not yet been released and the club was planning a press conference later on Friday.
    Davis is expected to make his scheduled exhibition start Friday night and probably will make a couple of regular season starts before undergoing surgery.
    Davis, 32, is one of the more popular players in the Arizona clubhouse. His teammates appreciate the hard work he puts into his between starts program, including extensive video and statistical scouting.
    Davis was acquired by the D-backs from the Brewers in November 2006 and the Phoenix-area resident promptly signed a three-year, $22 million extension that runs through 2009.
    A durable pitcher, Davis was 13-12 with a 4.25 ERA in 33 starts in 2007. It was the fourth straight season in which he had posted double-digit wins and pitched 192 or more innings.
    Wow. This really puts things in perspective for people. Baseball is just a game. Cancer is real life. Hopefully he can pull a Jon Lester and be one of the great stories in major league baseball. Interesting decision to keep pitching him until he has surgery. I don't know if I would necessarily want to keep pitching if I were Davis, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about my situation. However, if it's what he loves doing, that's sometimes the best thing for someone to do. Best of luck to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Doug Davis has thyroid cancer

I will say this, Doug Davis and John Lester are terrific athletes, but they are also inspirations to all those with cancer. I wish Davis the best, and I think he has a chance to beat this. The most important thing he can do is to stay in good mental condition, and baseball will certainly assist with that.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Terrible news, just hope he can recover quickly and be healthy. Wish him the best. Not much more to say.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Turn 2

That is such terrble news about a quality pitcher. Hope he is able to bounce back like Jon Lester and get back in the majors.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Best of luck to Davis and may God be with him and his family during this time.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bummer for Davis but only being out for a month is a silver lining. The Dbacks have a very solid rotation with Davis in there and hurts when he is not.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Sad and scary. I wish him well. Give him lots and lots of support people. Going through that horrible disease is scary enough. SUPPORT, PRAYS are crucial!!!

GOD Bless You, Doug Davis and you family and teammates. It is a trying time. Make sure you get healthy first and foremost. Think of nothing else but yourself. GOD will lead you and your family through these times. Trust me, I know, I have witnessed and experienced it firsthand with my wife. And GOD Bless her and the family and friends, cause believe it or not the supporters need SUPPORT as well.

My prayers go out the Doug Davis, his family and friends, teammates and the Diamondbacks organization.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Well, first of all, could you please let my principal at the school I teach at know just how nice I am ...

Second, Great parents and now wife!!!

Third, My wife and I have experienced this horrible, ugly disease and have seen cancer up close. She was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago just before X-Mas (2005).

Merry Christmas to us!! But GOD got us through it and she is in remission and still strong as ever.

I trust in GOD more now in my life than I have ever in any other time in my life. And GOD helps me be nice!!!

BTW, Thanks for the nicest compliment that I have recieved in a very long time.

Thats no good, hope he comes out on top. Best wishes to Davis and his family