Thread: Hot Seat Answers #83 - Foster

MLB ERA

Hot Seat Answers #83 - Foster

Foster, your Hot Seat questions have been asked in this thread. You have up to 7 days in which to answer these questions, should you choose to do so. Once you have done that, please select the next Hot Seat participant. Thank you for participating. The next Hot Seat (#84) will begin on Sunday, July 11th, or when you're done answering, whichever comes first.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hot Seat Answers #83 - Foster

Mofo....

Don't you think it's just insane that there should exist over 7,000 clubs that belong to over 140 leagues in just one country?
    English football league system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tell me the bottom levels have got to be beer leagues.
    I don't think it is insane, cause when it was developed it wasn't as complexe. They've added so many different leagues and teams on top of the original that it's created this massive system where the lower beer leagues and upper level millionaires can compete in the same manner.

I worked with a guy one summer who explained to me that yes the lower levels are in fact beer leagues. Not so much as in drinking during the match, but the fact that the team the guy played for had one goal. Get a pub to give them sponsorship so they could drink for free.

Which Canadian sports city most resembles Boston in that its fans have a smug sense of entitlement that, in my opinion, is undeserving considering the region is not known for churning out world class athletes to the pros?
    Eck, thats a difficult one for me to talk about. You see every region has turned out world class athletes. Take my hometown of Fredericton, New Brunswick. Matt Stairs you all know of, but do you know of Catharine Pendrel? World class mountain biker, Pan-Am Games champion, and world cup front runner.

We take all sports serious, so we like to exploit every chance we got to show off our talent, thankfully there is someone to shower the praise onto. It also helps that there aren't many sports teams to look upon for that sense. Boston's got one of everything. No city in Canada has that. Toronto is the only one that can come close, yet even they can produce a talent like Joey Votto. And let's not forget that the NHL is made up of over 50% Canadian players covering everything from Newfoundland to British Columbia and even the northern territories can produce a talent or 2.

Is it cool from where you are for Anglo-Saxons to mock the French Canadians like Americans do? Or is that very politically incorrect?
    HAHA, it is. But it's different. Here in New Brunswick we speak both, well almost. We have an Acadian population (similar to New Orleans french) that speaks such a messed up version of french that people in Quebec can't even understand it. One moment they speak french, add a couple english words if they don't think of it in french quick enough, and than speak french again. I can't think of anyone from around here that hasn't made fun of Acadian french atleast once in their life.

I'll be back to update this thread later on. Cleaning up the place so I'll take a break every now and again to post some more answers.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    I worked with a guy one summer who explained to me that yes the lower levels are in fact beer leagues. Not so much as in drinking during the match, but the fact that the team the guy played for had one goal. Get a pub to give them sponsorship so they could drink for free.
    Great story. I'm glad I decided to ask you that particular question.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

As per Porter...

1. Describe the experience of being at a F1 Weekend.
    Incridible. I;ve been to many race's before, but never F1. It helps that it's in a great city, cause I had a lot of fun in Montreal. There were a couple of streets that were closed off, and there were always a bunch of people out drinking. I was one of them. I also managed to buy myself a new bike, so I was pretty pumped about that too.

Thursday the pits were open so you could walk up and down the garage. The teams had areas roped off so you weren't close put it was still pretty cool. Some teams where doing pit stop practice, others were setting up the pit area with the tv screens, and others were just getting things together. I stood in line for about an hour to see who's autograph I was gonna get. As I got close RBR, STR, and Sauber were at the table but soon left. Than the people in front of us were talking about how there hasn't been a Ferrari driver up. Just than Fernando Alonso comes out, so I ended up getting his autograph, and shaking his hand. Pretty cool.

Friday was practice, standard stuff, but it was also the first time I heard the cars drive in anger. The sound that these cars make is like a vuvuzalea on crack. It is such a high pitched whine compared to the deep rumble of a stock car that I am used too. I stood at the start of a long straight, and you could feel the concussion from the back fire.

Saturday was qualifying, again something pretty standard. What was cool was watching it unfold in real time. The procedure is pretty cool, as every while a couple cars get knocked out, leaving you with the 10 fastest. And than bam, one by one each driver is out on track trying to best the others. Lewis Hamilton ended up getting pole, and ran out of fuel in front of us on the cool down. He jumped out of the car and started to push it.

The race day was insane. There were so many drunk people around it was insane. Everyone was just having a blast. Half the population of Poland was there it seemed like. It was just remarkable to take it all in, over 100 thousand people on this island in the middle of the river watching this.

2. Hard Alcohol of choice.
    Golden Wedding Canadian Whiskey. If I am at a bar, Rye and 7. The one I go to a lot serves Gibson's and that's a pretty good rye to go with. Never Canadian Club, I hate that stuff.

3. Should a NASCAR guy attempt to go to F1 for a season to see how he does?
    No. Danica Patrick, Sam Hornish, Dario Judd and every other open wheel guy that has come over shows that this would not be a good idea. Back at the USGP in 2000 something or another, Jeff Gordon tried his hand when he switched with Juan Pablo Montoya, who I left off my list of failures, just because he has won atleast on a road course. Moral off the story it was fun to watch, but you could tell both were out of their elements.

There was talk last season and the season before that Toyota when still in F1 were gonna sign Kyle Busch and take him over for a season in F1. Can you imagine the craziness in that?!?!?! That didn't happen, Kyle signed on to stay with Joe Gibbs, and Toyota continued to tank before pulling out at the end of last season. That being said I would of still liked for Kyle to get a week of practice in a car to see what he could pull off, and what kind of times he could pull off.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The KoZ sayz...

1. Give me a team that realistically has a chance to prevent the Yankees from winning the World Series and why. I don't care if it's the NL team that beats them in the series or an AL team that beats them in the playoffs.
    Any team with Cliff Lee. Really though, this guy is a hot commodity on the trade market because yes he can pitch, and for me the biggest reason is that he is a hardened playoff killer. That to me is an asset that is needed to beat the Yankees. You need players, heck even a manager thats been there, done that, and may or may not have a t shirt.

With that said, my list is pretty basic. Rays, Red Sox, Minnesota, maybe Detroit, and if the NL team in the series has been on fire, had some good games, beat tough opponents, and a deep NLDS, or NLCS. Or a team of Cliff Lee pitching every game after being cloned. Cloning isn't a banned substance is it?

2. Who's your favorite current NASCAR driver? And do you think the veterans like Kylie Bush, Kevin Harvick, Carl Edwards, etc. should be allowed to continue to be full timers in the Nationwide series?
    There are 2 guys I like at the moment. Kyle Busch, and Matt Kenseth. Kenseth because he came from the local short tracks in Wisconsin, meet up with Robbie Riser as a car owner and crew cheif, and from there made it to the big time. I am a big fan of short track racing, so seeing one of those guys make it is pretty sweet.

Kyle Busch I like not only because he makes racing fun, but also his ties to the short track world. This guy has a stable of about 5 cars that he races, as well as others. Guy will race during the week just to have fun. He ran the Snowball Derby in December last year and finally won it. Guy just simply likes to race. Gotta like that.

3. Have you considered a more challenging weekly version of NABSAR as opposed to first come first serve pick the winner? Let's be honest, it's usually the same 5-8 drivers always in contention and rarely do we pick outside of those drivers.
    I have and I think we are working towards that making everyone pick another driver from the lower half of the field. I've got a schedule to add a couple extra races for everyone to wrap their head around every now and than as well.

Good morning ladies and gentlemen

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

From Prov...
    1) Who is your favorite current Wrestling in WWE? TNA? Who is your all-time favorite Wrestler regardless of affiliation?
    I really don't have a single favourite at the moment. There are a bunch of guys from CM Punk, Orton, Jericho, and all the secong and third generation wrestlers in WWE that I like at the moment. This new wave that is coming in is really nice to see, as WWE will soon be finished with HHH, Edge, and the older guys. This new wave from Barret and "Nexus", Jake Swagger, Seamus and others will be good I guarantee.

TNA has lost me as of late, but I'll tune in to watch Samoa Joe, AJ, Beer Money, and whatever Alex Shelly is doing.

And my fav of all time. Bret Hart.

2) Do you have have fitted hats for every MLB team yet? If not, who are you missing? If so, what is next on your list in the hat collecting game?
    I don't have every team yet, and I am missing quite a few. Yanks, Rays, Indians, Rangers, Braves, Marlins, Mets, Natinals, Reds, Astros, Diamondbacks, Rookies, and Giants

That being said I do have one rule. No purple. Purple should never be on a teams jersey, hat or anything else. Saying that means the the Rookies are most likely gonna be low on the list.

Next on my list, are gonna come from the following 5...
    New Era MiLB 59Fifty hats at lids.ca
    New Era MLB Coop hats at lids.ca
    New Era MiLB 59Fifty hats at lids.ca

3) Are you planning on going to Boston again and why?
    I'll be back at some point in my life, I just don't know when. It was 2 years ago I did my trip down there. Last year, I feel back in love with Mountain Biking, and that used up my vacation time. This year was Montreal and the F1 race. Next summer is looking really good. Vancouver, and Victoria, BC and all the riding I can think of. I got family out there, and my cousin is getting married, so I think I'll be out for more than just a week if I can.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

1 - Would you be happy if the Phillies won the World Series with Roy Halladay?
    Yeah, I would. Roy is such a nice guy it wouldn't bother me that he would do it in a different jersey. It's not the end of the world. So I would be happy. I also don't mind the Phillies organization so it wouldn't be a bad experience all around.

2 - If you're forced to choose between the Senators and the Blue Jays who do you choose?
    Ahhh, I have to go with my Sens. Yeah, the Jays are the baseball team of Canada, so them losing me wouldn't really hurt them all that bad. The Sens on the other hand, need all the help they can get. They've been the ugly step child of the Canadian hockey landscape since birth. The Jays have a championship in my lifetime so I would like to see the Sens win one now. Plus it helps that the Sens always seem to let someone down. I want to be there and say "Suck it" win they do win a title.

3 - When are you moving to Matt Stairs Way?
    I can't. You see Matt Stairs Way doesn't really have an residential properties on it. The 3 properties that are on it, are all baseball diamonds, so that is a nice part of the street.