Page 10 of 267 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Official WWE/TNA/ROH Thread

The WWE Lives!

Here's my take on the WWE...

It's just what it's billed as --- Sports Entertainmant. That's all it is. There is no pretense that the results are real. They're predetermined and everybody knows it. That's cool.

I look at it as a giant soap opera. It's just fun to watch the story lines develop. Sometimes it gets over, sometimes it's just flat out stupid but it's entertainment. It's certainly not for everybody but it's a way to forget about $3.50/gal gasoline, the Iraqi debacle and other everyday problems we face. To each his own I say.

Vince has made an incredible business out of this and the WWE has a huge following....everything from "entrance music" to the "Diva search".

It's really not unfair for somebody to say it's stupid (not referring to you Lynch by any means -- I understood your post completely) but on the other hand people enjoy the ride. No harm no foul IMO. I watch it off and on and see the characters develop and it's a form of relaxation and relief from the everyday stresses as I mention earlier.

That's it -- long live the WWE!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Go back and read the post. I'm actually asking wtf the draw/attraction to it is. I -get- the whole trampy chick angle to keep people's attn (and don't believe that the whole Nitro Girl, et all isn't just a gimmick to keep people's attn because it all that it is).

My question is simple. What is the attraction? It's bad acting and it's NOT wrestling. It's a TV show. Ok, I can deal with that. And I also have NEVER said that no one should watch it. What you watch is up to you. Hell, If I said anything, I'd say you should NEVER watch another Tom Cruise movie again, but that's another topic entirely.

Watch what you want, but when someone asks what exactly it is you like about it, don't jump them for asking. Explain it. The fact that it is so obviously fake is probably why some people do question the draw to it.
    It's a television show, it's not supposed to be real. If I wanted real, I'd watch the olympics or amateur wrestling.

I've been enjoying it since I was a kid, and while a prefer the indy guys that go town to town busting their asses to feed their family, and don't get any press coverage for it, it's the only thing on TV that I feel is worth watching. Maybe one day, an angle(fued/whatever) will take me back to those times when I was the mark they were targetting with their programming, and make it feel like I'm a kid again.

It makes me feel young again, despite being predictable these days, and I don't want to let go of my childhood yet.

And I wasn't targetting you with the post, Lynch, there's so many people that start this, why do watch/that's so fake crap, it just gets to my head.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    how the hell does this "sport" still survive? I mean, God bless the parents of Stacy Keibler, but other than that.... what the hell is the attraction to wrestling. (warning: old fart story coming).

Back in my day, we were led to believe that wrestling was at least a little bit real. Some of the guys actually even had what was known as wrestling skills. Of course, there were just as many that were clowns, but there were by-the-book wrestling moves once in a while. All I see now is complete assclowns who know how to strut and talk smack and not much else. And it's widely known that all outcomes are predetermined weeks/months in advance.

(then again, I have no clue wtf the attraction is to reality tv either and all of those outcomes are predetermined too).
    wrestling is Sports Entertainment. We all know the results are determined ahead of time, as they were even back in your day.

If it was straight up wrestling I wouldn't watch it no more than I'd continue watching MLB if I were to find out it was fixed.

The appeal is the smak talking and the strutting and the lame storylines behind everything.

Of course, I do like them to have adaquate wrestling skills to go along with their gimmicks. *cough*cough*John Cena*cough*cough*

That said, despite getting kinda interesting as of late, as a whole the storylines have all been lame and predictable for the past few years.

Oh, and i'm going to Smackdown today, ringside
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo

Oh, and i'm going to Smackdown today, ringside
    Aye, Khali's lack of workrate that close?

You must've lost a bet.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    Aye, Khali's lack of workrate that close?

You must've lost a bet.
    it was supposed to be Raw first, but they changed it on us at the last minute

But it's still live wrestling, which is actually a fun experience, even when the storylines are lame

I attended a Smackdown live once about 8-9 years ago. It was totally fun. Watching the people was amazing. The signs and all the cleaver stuff the fans do was entertaining to say the least. It was worth the experience.

One thing for sure, WWE is not to be taken too seriously. Their story lines win a few and lose a few. Right now they have hit a bad streak where all you can say is WTF? -- that was just flat out stupid. To be sure though, the worm will turn! It's true, it's damn true.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I went to the last Smackdown before X7.

Worst time of my life, everything was setting up Mania and was kinda blah. Seeing guys like Lesnar(in the dark match), Hennig(on Heat) and Maven winning the Hardcore title was cool though.

MLB ERA
    I just got back, had a blast really.

JBL really knows how to work a crowd.

MLB ERA
    I went to an event back when they filmed Smackdown and Sunday Night Heat in the same night. I was living in CA at the time and we went up to San Jose. It was fun but things have changed since than, like me. I was in the 9th grade when I went and now I'm in the miltary and 22 yrs old. I believe I was 16 when I went.

Now I don't watch WWF, my wife watches it now. I mean WWE.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    WWE = Poetry in Motion. A TV Show, i wished that NWO and DX came back just to relive the times I actually watched wrestling.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Kid
    There is no pretense that the results are real. They're predetermined and everybody knows it. That's cool.
    Its certainly more real than any show billed as "Reality TV". Its results are just as fixed as American Idol's results are.

No self-respecting man can honestly say that they're not entertained by professional wrestling. It's just violence and T&A!! Now, sure you have to deal with some mild homo-erotic overtones from time to time, but we're are secure here, are we not?

It's 2006, for crying out loud, if you're straight you're the ***.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    According to PWTorch, DX will consist of only HBK and Triple H. They will not be back long-term unless crowd reactions force Vince McMahon to alter the plans.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    which will probably happen tonight...shawn michaels, kenny...shane as a guest ref...hunter in kenny's corner...with a sledge hammer.

i could easily see hunter bashing both kenny and shane and then shawn realizing whats up
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    what a disapointment, it seems like hunter is still holding a grudge against shawn
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    what a disapointment, it seems like hunter is still holding a grudge against shawn
    Watch Vince throw them in a handy cap match vs the Spirit Squad and it "click".
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 10 of 267 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast