View Poll Results: Best deal that didn't happen?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marlins (SP Burnett, 8-6, 3.30 ERA)

5 23.81%
  • Rangers (2B Soriano, .280 BA, 26 HR, 69 RBI)

1 4.76%
  • Reds (LF Dunn, .252 BA, 31 HR, 72 RBI)

7 33.33%
  • Red Sox (LF Ramirez, .273 BA, 28 HR, 92 RBI)

7 33.33%
  • Mets (CF Cameron, .262, 10 HR, 32 RBI)

1 4.76%
  • Phillies (CL Wagner, 3-1, 1.97 ERA, 24 SV)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best deal that didn't happen?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Best deal that didn't happen?

Essentially, which team did the best in holding onto a rumored player instead of dealing them (IE, dealing that player would of been a foolish move)?

Poll suggestion thanks to redsrbetter.

MLB ERA
    Dunn has the most long term upside of any of those players. Get him signed long term a LTC and watch him to continue to make "pitching havens" like Petco look like the Launching Pad for the next 10 years.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Are you serious? This should a 100% vote in favor of the Sox keeping Manny...there was no way they could have gotten equal value for him. The Reds could get equal value for Dunn and they still may in the off season...because they have zero pitching. The Sox have some pitching and with Manny and Ortiz the best 1-2 punch. The Sox stood to lose more by trading Manny than the Reds did by trading Dunn...The Sox are in 1st place and the Reds aren't even in playoff contention so they can't do worse without him. Anyone that votes otherwise is just kidding themselves...believe me, I'm the anti-sox fan and would have laughed and laughed and laughed until my head fell off if the Sox traded Manny because as RLA stated it would have been almost as bad as trading Babe Ruth...

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Are you serious? This should a 100% vote in favor of the Sox keeping Manny...there was no way they could have gotten equal value for him.
    Exactly.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

I'm with Providence/Element.

And who said Mike Cameron? I'll kill you. Or at least throw you in a trash bin.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Who did say Cameron? Pretty stupid, IMO.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Theres was never a chance of him getting traded. You dont win the World Series or keep your head in Boston if you trade Manny now. The final straw was watching how David Ortiz did with Manny out of the lineup. O'Brien looked stupid enough to actually trade the teams best player.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rookie ERA
    There is no possible way it couldnt be Manny. The rest of those teams are either out of playoff contention or close to it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    For me it was Scott Eyre. We needed to keep him as Sabean saw that the NL West was once again up for grabs. Plus there aren't a lot of good left-handed relievers on the market next year. He has been one fo the rare bright spots on this sad Giants team.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Who's the joker who voted for Mike Cameron?

Manny is so key to that Red Sox team. Not only is he the best producer in the AL but the benefit that David Ortiz gets with having him in the lineup really assists in making that team a near gurantee for a top 5 offense.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I went with Burnnett. The ,arlins are still in it, and that would have killed their chances. If manny got tradede I trust Epstein would have recovered with a deal getting himself Lawton or someone like that.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I went with Burnnett. The ,arlins are still in it, and that would have killed their chances. If manny got tradede I trust Epstein would have recovered with a deal getting himself Lawton or someone like that.
    Anything short of probably Soriano for Manny and Boston would have revolted busted down the door and drug Epstein out for public lynching. Anything besides Soriano would have made the lineup 10x weaker cause pitchers would look at Ortiz like the NL does Bonds.

Red Sox would never be crazy enough to trade Manny in any other instance during a pennant chase. O'Brien on the other hand would be crazy (stupid) enough to do just that.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good point. Protection is everything and Ortiz and Manny compliment eachother well in that case. So, you are probably right with the Red Sox losing more than just a great player.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Are you serious? This should a 100% vote in favor of the Sox keeping Manny...there was no way they could have gotten equal value for him. The Reds could get equal value for Dunn and they still may in the off season...because they have zero pitching. The Sox have some pitching and with Manny and Ortiz the best 1-2 punch. The Sox stood to lose more by trading Manny than the Reds did by trading Dunn...The Sox are in 1st place and the Reds aren't even in playoff contention so they can't do worse without him. Anyone that votes otherwise is just kidding themselves...believe me, I'm the anti-sox fan and would have laughed and laughed and laughed until my head fell off if the Sox traded Manny because as RLA stated it would have been almost as bad as trading Babe Ruth...

AJ Burnett staying in Florida will be a better impact than the 18 Million dollar man that was vitrually untradeable unless the Yanks wanted him.. Like that would ever happen.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    ahhh, but even it wasn't "possible" it was still the best deal that didn't happen. If you ask Reds fans trading Dunn also should not have been "possible" because they want the Reds to keep him. AJ is overrated IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast