• Max Scherzer

1 25.00%
  • Brandon Morrow

3 75.00%

Thread: Inconsistent Power

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Question Inconsistent Power

In the year of the pitcher, as we have labeled 2010, we have had countless pitching gems. Perfect games, no hitters, near no hitters, technically were no hitters, dual no hitters going into the 8th, it's just been a mad house of pitching.

But there have been two guys (although there are certainly more, but just humor me for a bit) that once began with great promise, and then they were dumped, and then had great promise again, and then they were given up on, and then.. well, we're at the point where we seriously start considering them as guys to watch in 2011. For Cy Youngs. Maybe.

Brandon Morrow, high draft pick by the Mariners. He showed promise as a starter and as a reliever. And he also failed in both roles, and was then shipped off for a reliever from Hawaii. 2010 did not start off very promising for Morrow. In typical fashion, you never knew what would show up to pitch. April saw good and bad, May saw horrible, June saw amazing, July saw both, and August has thus far seen ACE. I stated previously that one start does not make a pitcher, or make a great pitcher. But he did have one of the best non no hit/perfect game outings on the season against Tampa (who else?). He recently over-powered the Evil Empire. Back in June, he shut out the St. Louis Pujols. He can not only beat good teams, he can simply be un-hittable against good teams. At the same time, he can be remarkable poor against anyone. AJ Burnett Jr.?

Max Scherzer, high draft pick by the Diamondbacks. I remember when he burst on to the scene, I immediately picked this guy up in fantasy baseball. He excelled as a reliever, and as a starter. And then he struggled somewhat, but was traded in efforts to obtain Edwin Jackson (good thing Daniel Hudson has been awesome). Scherzer started off okay, and then tailed off so badly that he was demoted. Since he was called back up? 3.48 in June, 2.31 in July, and 1.29 in August (so far). He obviously found something in AAA. Whether it lasts beyond 2010, that remains to be unseen. But keep in mind, Cliff Lee had a nice start to his career. Things went south, and he found himself back in the minor leagues. Since he made it back to the Majors? Well, you know that story.

In 2011, if you had to pick one of these two pitchers to be apart of the front line of your rotation, who are you the most confident in? Who do you pick?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Inconsistent Power

I picked Morrow because he does have one of the most electric arms as a starter, which was why the Mariners drafted him high. As an aside, I find it ironic that the San Francisco Giants lucked out with Lincecum after his hometown M's passed on him, but on the flip side, the Niners passed on Cal Berkeley star Aaron Rodgers.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Inconsistent Power

I think Scherzer has the potential to be a bit more consistent, start after start, but like mofo I am going with Morrow because he simply is just on when things are going right. If he can put that together and develop the consistency for that kind of performance, his ceiling is sky high.