View Poll Results: What will Strasburg sign for with the Nationals?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10-15 million

0 0%
  • $15-20 million

0 0%
  • $20-25 milion

2 22.22%
  • $25-35 million

3 33.33%
  • $35 million +++

3 33.33%
  • Will not sign this year.

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What will Stephen Strasburg sign for?

MLB ERA

Re: What will Stephen Strasburg sign for?

baseball is ****ed
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Starting pitchers who throw 100 mph without control problems only arrive once in every generation. You'll be hard pressed to find another pitching prospect in the near future who deserves Strasburg money.

MLB ERA

Throwing 100mph and having good control is nice, but nobody deserves 50 mil+ when they have yet to face major league batters.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I can name one reason. He hasn't faced major league hitting yet.

It's nice that he's been able to dominate college hitters, but I'm going to wait and see how he performs against professional hitters in the minors, and then major league hitters at the pro level before I start labeling him an ace.
    I would agree typically, but the guy has ace stuff. Not only that, but he's on arguably the worst team in baseball...actually, not arguable, undoubtedly. He should go to the minors, but honestly, I don't think he should be in the minors long....if he does well, maybe a month.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    If I were the Nationals GM. I wouldn't even draft this kid, knowing what kind of money him and his agent want, I would give him the finger and draft the next best guy in line, not him! You earn your money by proving yourself in the big leagues, like Griffey, Arod, and the rest!
    That would be stupid. You can't pass up UNDOUBTEDLY the best player available. When your team is that bad, you need the best player you can get, regardless of money. You need to get this guy if you're the Nationals, even if the money scares you.

Even more stupidity in an asinine system if an agent can control the development of a player like that.

Baseball's financial system is so ****ed it's a ****ing joke.

And, again, none of that negates my point that Strasburg is no ace until he proves he can face major league hitters.
    Agreed, but the Nationals need the help. It's probably not best for Strasburg, but it's best for the team....or so it seems right now.

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Starting pitchers who throw 100 mph without control problems only arrive once in every generation. You'll be hard pressed to find another pitching prospect in the near future who deserves Strasburg money.
    Agreed completely. I would say somewhere in the 30's. The guy is just INSANELY talented. You never find guys with this combination of a 100mph fastball, a plus curve, and a good change, ALL with good control. He's the best drafted prospect in....god knows how long.

Throwing 100mph and having good control is nice, but nobody deserves 50 mil+ when they have yet to face major league batters.
    You're right, but if Prior got 10 million, and everyone knew his mechanics were flawed and made him more likely to get hurt, Strasburg has to get significantly more. He's just more filled out than any pitcher in the last.....maybe 50 years. No other pitcher has his combination of 3 developed pitches with control. You're gonna have to give him money because he deserves it.....and often money begets a spot on the MLB roster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12