View Poll Results: What is the biggest collapse in MLB history?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1953 Giants - 13 game lead in August, lost to Dodgers in 3-game playoff

0 0%
  • 1964 Phillies - 6.5 game lead with 12 to play

3 8.11%
  • 1978 Red Sox - 14.5 game lead, lost to Yankees in 1 game playoff

6 16.22%
  • 1995 Angels - 13 game lead over Mariners, lost in 1 game playoff

4 10.81%
  • 2004 Yankees - blew 3-0 lead in ALCS

17 45.95%
  • 2007 Mets - 7 game lead with 17 to play

4 10.81%
  • Other (please specify)

3 8.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest collapse in MLB history?

MLB ERA

Re: Biggest collapse in MLB history?

Its tough to vote against the Mets this past season. They had everything going their way and then seemed to implode. The Phillies played very well down the stretch and the Mets did not.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    Well then we can add the 05-07 Yankees. Browntown shut up already, Maybe you and the little general can get a room together. Let me remind you, I TOLD YOU SO!!!! Typical New Yorker, bash a team thats not even in the playoffs. Lets say good bye to Arod, Torre to start with several more on the way out. You might win 60 games next year. MIGHT!
    Quit your ****ing personal attacks. It's gotten old a long time ago. And don't you even say a word about bashing teams that aren't in the playoffs. Maybe if your team makes the postseason you can bash mine. And don't even try and resort to "I'm a rockies fan." Your username is "mntwinsfan." So give me a ****ing break. I am done with you and your personal attacks. I don't want to read what your response is to this message, and quite frankly, I don't care. All you do is:
    a) Bash the Yankees' payroll, which does not violate any MLB rules and is well within the guidlines of baseball
    b) Personal attacks, which are completely uncalled for and out of line
    c) Make negative predictions about the Yankees which almost never come true. If they post a losing record next year I will leave this board. You can mark my words on that, because it's not going to happen.

So this is it. Go ahead and respond to this post. I don't care. I'm done arguing with you forever. I'm sure you will respond happily and try to spin the situation around. But one more personal attack and I will put you on ignore forever. Enough is enough.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Browntown

C
    came true. So please you were the one who said when my prediction did not come true, you were going to bash me. Get over it. So you were not going to say anything if you were right and I was wrong? You are such a liar. Another year another BUST for the Yankees. Iggy me please then I won't have to get your terrible trade offers.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

how bout the '69 cubs.....blew a 5 game lead on september 3rd. they went 8-18 down the stretch. and the difference between them and the mets is that the mets had 8 games left with the phillies. the cubs blew their lead over the mets with only 4 games against them. this is even more impressive.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    how bout the '69 cubs.....blew a 5 game lead on september 3rd. they went 8-18 down the stretch. and the difference between them and the mets is that the mets had 8 games left with the phillies. the cubs blew their lead over the mets with only 4 games against them. this is even more impressive.
    Not to mention I think the 69' Cubs had some great players on it.

C - Randy Hundley (All Star, Gold Glove)
    1B - Ernie Banks (Hall of Famer, MVP, Gold Glove)
    2B - Glenn Beckert (All Star, Gold Glove)
    SS - Don Kessinger (All Star, Gold Glove)
    3B - Ron Santo (Future Hall of Famer, Gold Glove)
    LF - Billy Williams (Hall of Famer)
    CF - Don Young
    RF - Jim Hickman (All Star)

SP - Bill Hands (2.49 ERA this year was 8th in the NL)
    SP - Ken Holtzman (All Star)
    SP - Fergie Jenkins (Hall of Famer)
    SP - Dick Selma (8.54 Strikeouts/9IP was 4th in NL this year)
    CL - (All Star, 5th in saves for the NL this year)

It had 3 hall of famers, with Santo likely to be the 4th. Banks was a former two time MVP. Most had/would make All Star teams and win gold gloves.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Memorable Pennant Race Collapses

2009 Detroit Tigers

Trying to win their first division title since 1987, the Tigers owned a seven-game division lead over Minnesota on Sept. 6. But the pennant eluded Detroit, thanks to an 11-16 finish to the season, culminating in a heartbreaking, 12-inning loss to Minnesota in a one-game tiebreaker. The Tigers became the first team since 1901 to miss the playoffs after holding a three-game lead with just four to play. The Twins went 17-4 down the stretch to claim the division title and an ALDS date with the Yankees.

2008 New York Mets

For the second consecutive season, the Mets choked away an NL East title down the stretch. New York held first place by a season-high 3 1/2 games with 17 left, but went 7-10 the rest of the way. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Mets became the first team ever to hold 3 1/2-game division leads in consecutive Septembers and fail to make the postseason both times (excluding the 1981 split season). "We failed. We failed as a team," David Wright said. "There's no pointing fingers. There's no excuses. We as a unit didn't get the job done."

2007 New York Mets

Up seven games with 17 remaining in the season, the Mets went 5-12 down the stretch to finish one game behind the Phillies in the NL East and out of the playoffs. The collapse included a 1-6 homestand against the Nationals, Cardinals and Marlins to end the season, including an 8-1 rout in which 300-game winner Tom Glavine failed to get out of the first inning.

1995 California Angels

On Aug. 9, the Angels led Texas and Seattle by 11 games in the AL West. Seattle and California ended up tied, and the Mariners won a one-game playoff when they pounded Angels ace Mark Langston 9-1.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

/bump

The 2011 Red Sox may or may not be the biggest collapse statistically, but the way they got eliminated was more epic than any rout.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ahhh back when people participated.

Red Sox 2011 payroll- ~$163 million
    Rays 2011 payroll- ~$41 million

CHOKE!

I still think the Yanks ALCS collapse is worse. This one was fun to watch though.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Mets collapse is still worse imo... they had their whole roster and collapsed... we were without multiple All-Stars
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123