Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Daily Nats Blurbs

MLB ERA
    News from the 16th of March.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    The Nationals are reportedly expected to move Dmitri Young from minor league camp to major league camp next week.
    The team has been impressed with Young's performance against minor leaguers and reportedly may be considering adding him to the Opening Day roster. "Of course it means something," manager Manny Acta said. "It means the bat is asking to be over here. He wants to get into the mix, and we welcome that."

Nationals reassigned C Brandon Harper, RHP Winston Abreu, C Danny Ardoin, RHP Colby Lewis, OF Jose Macias and LHP Arnie Munoz to minor league camp.
    It looks like the Nationals won't try to hide Rule 5 pick Jesus Flores by using him as a third catcher behind Harper or Ardoin. They probably will carry Robert Fick, giving them a third option behind the plate, but Flores should see most of the time when Brian Schneider isn't playing.

Nationals optioned RHP Beltran Perez, RHP Emiliano Fruto and RHP Chris Schroder to Triple-A Columbus.
    Perez impressed at the end of last season, but he was a non-factor this spring, throwing just three innings. It's a surprise the Nationals didn't have him more in the mix for a rotation spot. Fruto and Schroder should be factors in the pen before the end of the year.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    News from the 17th of March.
    Jason Simontacchi is the heavy favorite for the third spot in the Nationals rotation behind John Patterson and Shawn Hill.
    Jerome Williams, Joel Hanrahan, Tim Redding, Jason Bergmann and Matt Chico are still contending for a place in the starting rotation. Simontacchi hasn't throw a pitch in the major leagues since October 2, 2004.

Tony Batista is expected to depart for his native Dominican Republic early next week to secure his work visa -- without which, by law, he cannot participate in games for which tickets are sold.
    When he returns, Batista will likely rejoin the Nationals, but he's already been told to expect to start the season in Triple-A Columbus.

Nationals assigned Colby Lewis to minor league camp on Friday.
    Lewis was contending for a place in Nats starting rotation before allowing eight runs in 4 1/3 innings this spring. "He took it well," manager Manny Acta said. "He knew that he hadn't pitched well at all. So, he's going to go down there and get his stuff together. He knows that there are a lot of opportunities here."

Ryan Church busted out of a slump with three hits and four RBI on Saturday.
    Church entered the day 4-for-28. He could use a couple of more of these to secure his starting job in the Washington outfield.

Rule 5 pick Levale Speigner is up to 8 2/3 scoreless innings this spring after shutting down the Mets for three innings on Saturday.
    Speigner is probably going to be kept by the Nationals, though he's still more likely to be a middle reliever than a starter. The 26-year-old doesn't have much long-term upside and isn't likely to have any fantasy value.

Jerome Williams improved his chances of winning a rotation spot by throwing four scoreless innings Saturday against the Mets.
    Williams, who also faced the Mets last week, has allowed one run in his last seven innings. He's in the running to become the Nationals' No. 4 starter.

Chris Snelling homered twice off Chan Ho Park and doubled Saturday as the Nationals crushed the Mets 13-1.
    Snelling leads the Nationals with three homers and 10 RBI. He's out of options, so he appears to be assured of making the club. He'll be the fourth outfielder initially, but he could get a chance to start if either Ryan Church or Nook Logan turns in a lousy April.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    News from the 18th of March.
    Manager Manny Acta said Alex Escobar (shoulder) is unlikely to be ready by Opening Day.
    Escobar has not responded to a throwing program designed to strengthen the shoulder. On Saturday, he went 3-for-4 with two homers in a minor league game, but wasn't able to play the field. "He's not making as much progress as we thought (he would)," Acta said.

Nationals added first baseman Dmitri Young to major league camp.
    Young, who went 2-for-3 with a homer Thursday in his first 'A' game of the spring, will be in the mix for the starting job at first base with Travis Lee and Robert Fick. He's the best hitter of the group, so he might have a spot on Opening Day.

Nationals optioned first baseman Larry Broadway to Triple-A Columbus.
    Here's a surprise. Broadway was supposed to have the first shot to replace Nick Johnson at first base for the Nats, and with a .333/.391/.381 line in 21 at-bats, he wasn't having a bad spring. It would have been worth keeping him around to see if he could show some power over the next couple of weeks. Still, the Nationals aren't going to lose anything by going with Travis Lee or Dmitri Young instead.

In just his second start of the spring, John Patterson gave up three runs in three innings Sunday against the Marlins.
    Patterson had been pitching in minor league games to give the Nationals more time to evaluate their other rotation candidates. Patterson is healthy after July forearm surgery and ready to start on Opening Day.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    While Ryan Church is manager Manny Acta's choice as the starting left fielder, GM Jim Bowden said he believes Chris Snelling should still be in the running for the job.
    Responding, Acta said: "Church is the guy, I think. Snelling is playing well and pushing the issue." Acta previously announced that Church would be in left field on Opening Day, and with Church's bat starting to come around this weekend, it's still likely that he'll have the job. That said, his margin for error will be slim.
    The Nationals are doing something right? Of course Church should be the choice to play left.

MLB ERA
    News from the 19th of March.
    Jason Simontacchi is going to skip his next turn because of tightness in his right groin.
    He's probably still the favorite to enter the season as the Nationals' No. 3 starter.

Manager Manny Acta said Sunday that Matt Chico will the Nationals' fourth starter "if things continue to develop the way they are."
    Better for him if he could get in some innings at Triple-A first, but the Nationals aren't liking their alternatives. As is, he would slot into the rotation behind John Patterson, Shawn Hill and Jason Simontacchi. He's not going to be a very good bet in NL-only leagues.

Chris Snelling singled and walked three times Monday versus the Dodgers.
    GM Jim Bowden believes Snelling is still in the mix for the starting job in left field, even if manager Manny Acta says he's already decided. Snelling has made his case with a .310/.432/.690 line in 29 at-bats. Too bad he'd be an awful bet to stay healthy while starting five or six games per week.

Shawn Hill threw five shutout innings Monday in the Nationals' 9-1 win over the Dodgers.
    Hill has allowed four runs -- two earned -- in 14 innings. The Nationals are expected to make the 25-year-old their No. 2 starter to begin the season. Hill should get enough grounders to keep the Nationals in ballgames when healthy, but the lack of win and strikeout potential makes him a weak pick in NL-only leagues.

Nationals GM Jim Bowden said at least five teams have called this spring to inquire about Josh Wilson, who is a candidate to make the Nationals as a reserve outfielder.
    We rarely take Bowden's claims at face value, but it's possible there's considerable interest in Wilson. The Nationals may keep him anyway, even though they have Ronnie Belliard to serve as a reserve infielder. Wilson would probably be an upgrade over Cristian Guzman in center field. But that's not saying much.

Brian Schneider has missed the last two games because of tightness in his left hamstring.
    Schneider was hurt running the bases on Saturday. The injury isn't considered serious.

MLB ERA
    News from the 20th of March.
    Nationals re-signed RHP Pedro Astacio to a minor league contract.
    We were beginning to wonder if Pedro had decided to hang 'em up. Astacio went 5-5 with a 5.98 ERA, 109 H and 42/31 K/BB in 90 1/3 IP for the Nationals last season. We have no idea if he's far enough along right now to jump into the competition for a rotation spot. It seems more likely that he'll head to Triple-A and try to work his way back.

Matt Chico threw the first four innings Tuesday in the Nationals' shutout of the Marlins.
    Chico probably clinched a rotation spot while improving to 2-1 and lowering his spring ERA to 2.70 in 13 1/3 innings. He's likely to be the fourth starter behind John Patterson, Shawn Hill and Jason Simontacchi.

The Nationals are planning on having Pedro Astacio report to minor league camp and begin the season at Triple-A Columbus.
    Astacio was re-signed to a minor league deal Tuesday to provide pitching depth down the road. He's no worse of a bet for this season than Jason Simontacchi.

Nationals center fielder Nook Logan is just 8-for-36 (.222) with one extra-base hit this spring, but manager Manny Acta says he's not concerned.
    "He is here to make our defense better and to work his way into a better hitter," Acta said. If that's the sole criteria for success, then Logan shouldn't have any problems breaking camp as the team's starting center fielder. He's quite likely to try Acta's patience with his poor hitting before the season is out, but Logan can provide some value while racking up steals in the interim.

MLB ERA
    News from the 21st of March.
    Tim Redding gave up three runs and six hits in three innings Wednesday against the Braves.
    Redding failed to build on a solid outing last week, though he did lower his ERA to 11.42. It may not be enough to keep him in the competition for a rotation spot.

Cristian Guzman had two hits Wednesday in the Nationals' 6-5 win over the Braves.
    Guzman is 9-for-25, so what chance there was of the Nationals abandoning the silly plan to bat him second at the start of the year is likely gone. His shoulder definitely seems strong enough for him to play shortstop regularly, so he'll be a mainstay in the lineup early on.

MLB ERA
    News from the 22nd of March.
    The Rockies have displayed some interest in Chad Cordero, though there have been no talks in recent weeks.
    Nationals GM Jim Bowden is asking for multiple top prospects in return for Cordero, who won't be a free agent until 2009. The Rockies see him as a cheaper option than Brian Fuentes to close in 2008 and 2009, but it's doubtful they'll part with the young talent it'd take to land him (probably LHP Franklin Morales and OF Dexter Fowler to start). The Red Sox have also had talks with the Nationals about Cordero, though it's unclear if there have been any recent discussions.

Nick Johnson ran outdoors Wednesday for the first time since breaking his right femur in September.
    Johnson's timetable has been pushed back significantly from the initial diagnosis and the team has been reluctant to issue further predictions about his possible return date, leading to some speculation that he could miss most of the year. Asked if he could miss the entire season, Johnson said, "I hope not." "I don't know, from a timetable standpoint, what the date will be," team doctor Ben Shaffer said. "But we're not looking at this as a season-threatening issue."

Nationals optioned LHP Billy Traber to Triple-A Columbus; reassigned RHP Josh Hall to minor league camp.
    Traber is getting demoted despite allowing just one run in five innings this spring. The Nationals seem down on him for some reason, quickly eliminating him from the competition for the rotation this spring. He could be a fine middle reliever given the chance.

Nationals sent 2B Bernie Castro and OF Michael Restovich outright to Triple-A Columbus.
    The Nationals kept Castro on their 40-man roster for a year and a half after the Orioles let him go, but they never seemed to include him in their plans. He was 6-for-19 with three walks this spring, but what little chance he had of making the team was gone when Ronnie Belliard was signed.

Nationals purchased the contract catcher Robert Fick from Triple-A Columbus.
    Fick makes a lot of sense with the Nationals keeping Rule 5 pick Jesus Flores as a backup to Brian Schneider. He gives the team a third option at catcher as well as a decent pinch-hitter and backup first baseman. Since he has catcher eligibility, he's a $1 option in NL-only leagues.

Nationals purchased the contract second baseman Ronnie Belliard from Triple-A Columbus.
    Cristian Guzman hasn't given the Nationals any reason to bench him yet, so Belliard will act as a backup at second and third. He might even see some time at first base. He should get enough at-bats to be worth a couple of bucks in NL-only leagues.

Jesus Flores went 3-for-5 with his first homer and a double Thursday against the Astros.
    Flores is 10-for-20 with four doubles this spring. The Rule 5 pick already seems guaranteed of a place on the Nationals. It's doubtful that he'll have any fantasy value this year, but he could replace Brian Schneider as a regular in 2009.

Jerome Williams yielded two unearned runs and two hits over five innings Thursday in a win over the Astros.
    Williams has allowed just one earned run in 12 innings in his last three starts, so he's in good position to open the season as the Nationals' fifth starter. He might actually be the No. 3 if Jason Simontacchi's injury takes him out of the mix.

Ryan Church went 3-for-5 with a homer and five RBI as the Nationals crushed the Astros 16-2 on Thursday night.
    Church may not have really set himself apart in a game in which all of the Nationals had good nights, but he did need a game like this to stay ahead of Chris Snelling. Snelling actually struck out in both of his at-bats after entering tonight's game.

MLB ERA
    News from the 23rd of March.
    The Nationals are expected to keep Rule 5 pick Levale Speigner on the Opening Day roster.
    "He deserves to be on this baseball team, the way he's pitched this spring," general manager Jim Bowden said. "He's earned it. He's beaten almost all of the relievers out. That's just a fact. There's no reason to believe he can't go into the season and do what he's done this spring." Washington is also likely to keep Rule 5 catcher Jesus Flores.

John Patterson surrendered one run in four-plus innings Friday in a no-decision versus the Tigers.
    Patterson allowed four hits, walked three and threw a wild pitch. He hasn't really been sharp at any point this spring, but he is healthy and the Nationals can hope it starts to come together for him next month. He's still an option as a late-round pick in mixed leagues.

Nook Logan tripled and doubled Friday as the Nationals beat the Tigers 10-4.
    His second and third extra-base hits of the spring. Logan is batting .250/.353/.364 in 45 at-bats. If he could keep his OBP in that range during the regular season, his defense would make him an adequate regular. However, it's not very likely that he'll get on base that often.

Chris Snelling came out of Friday's game in the seventh inning with a bruised knee, but he's not expected to miss any additional time.
    The more Snelling plays, the more often he's going to get hurt. He's probably a better player than Ryan Church when healthy, hut the Nationals would be better off using him as a fourth outfielder.

MLB ERA
    News from the 24th of March.
    Jason Simontacchi did not throw a bullpen session as scheduled Friday, and there's so growing concern that he could miss a turn in the starting rotation.
    Simontacchi, though, said he had "no doubt in my mind" that he'd be ready by Opening Day. "He's very optimistic about it," manager Manny Acta said. "But we've got to see it."

Nook Logan injured his right groin in the ninth inning of Saturday's game and seems to be questionable for Opening Day.
    Logan is worthless without his wheels (and maybe with them), so the Nationals need to be careful here. "It could be three days, it could be five. It could be two months," manager Manny Acta said. "We don't know yet." If Logan begins the season on the DL, the Nationals will go with Ryan Church in center and Chris Snelling in left. That'd help the offense quite a bit.

John Patterson "kind of passed out" Saturday after shagging flies during batting practice, manager Manny Acta said.
    You'd faint too if you witnessed Nook Logan hitting a ball out of the infield. The club said Patterson complained of dehydration and was given intravenous fluids. He's expected to make his next start and pitch on Opening Day for the Nats.

Brian Schneider (hamstring) is expected to play against the Braves on Sunday.
    Schneider has not played in a game since March 17 because of tightness in his left hamstring.

AA ERA
    "kind of passed out"... wow good to hear he's okay.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    News from the 25th of March.
    Nationals optioned RHP Joel Hanrahan to Triple-A Columbus; reassigned infielder Joe Thurston to minor league camp.
    Hanrahan was in the competition for the rotation, but the Nationals signed him hoping it'd pay off down the road. While it still might, he's unlikely to help this year.

Nationals sent RHP Tim Redding outright to Triple-A Columbus.
    Redding was awful at the start of the spring after the Nationals decided to alter his delivery, and though he got a little better his last two times out, the Nationals didn't think he was progressing quickly enough. Redding could reject the assignment and become a free agent, but staying with the Nationals would give him his best chance of returning to the majors.

Brian Schneider returned to action Sunday and went 0-for-2 before departing.
    He caught just a couple of innings before leaving for a pinch-runner. Schnieder missed a week because of a left hamstring injury.

Chris Snelling rejoined the starting lineup for Sunday's game against the Braves and went 0-for-4.
    Snelling came out of Friday's game with a bruised knee, but he was used as a pinch-hitter yesterday and he played all nine innings in left field today.

Matt Chico surrendered six runs -- five earned -- and 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings against the Braves on Sunday.
    One bad outing isn't going to prevent Chico from being named the Nationals' fourth starter. Still, we're not recommending the 23-year-old left-hander for 2007.

Nationals sent LHP Billy Traber and RHP Jermaine Van Buren outright to Triple-A Columbus.
    Both had already been sent down. This takes them off the 40-man roster.

Nationals manager Manny Acta said Nook Logan would miss at least two weeks with a strained right groin.
    He'll likely open the year on the DL, putting Ryan Church in center field, Chris Snelling in left and allowing Kory Casto to make the team as a reserve. Casto's stay only figures to last until Logan returns.

Jerome Williams is likely to be a part of the Nationals rotation, manager Manny Acta said Sunday.
    He could start the third game of the season with Jason Simontacchi still hurting. Williams has more fantasy upside than anyone in the Washington rotation besides John Patterson, but he's still not recommended at this time.

Dmitri Young will be the Nationals' first baseman on Opening Day following Travis Lee's release on Sunday.
    The Nationals will also have Robert Fick and Kory Casto available to play first base, so Young shouldn't be able to afford to get off to a slow start. However, he is the best choice for the job of the Nationals' current options. He's not worth more than a $2-$3 bid in NL-only leagues, but he should be a solid play until Nick Johnson returns, hopefully in June.

The Nationals announced on Sunday that infielder Josh Wilson has made the 25-man Opening Day roster.
    After a slow start, Wilson is hitting .366 with four RBI this spring. "Josh is on the 40-man roster and out of options. He played very well," manager Manny Acta said. "We didn't want to take any chances of [placing Wilson on waivers]. He is a valuable backup guy, and he earned it."

Nationals reassigned INF D'Angelo Jimenez, LHP Mike Bacsik and C Juan Brito to minor league camp.
    Jimenez hit .278/.381/.361 in 36 at-bats, a showing that might have been sufficient to earn him a job had Ronnie Belliard not been signed. He still could get a second look if the Nationals decided to trade Josh Wilson.

Jason Simontacchi (right groin) said on Sunday morning that he expects to be out two to three weeks.
    He will remain in minor league camp and rehab in Florida. He most likely will pitch a couple of games for Triple-A Columbus before rejoining the major league club. The veteran said he tried to throw on Friday, but he still felt pain in the groin. Jerome Williams will take over the third spot in the rotation that was to go to Simontacchi.

MLB ERA
    News from the 26th of March.
    Manager Manny Acta indicated Sunday that Kory Casto is likely to serve as the Nationals' starting left fielder with Nook Logan injured.
    Chris Snelling appeared to be the obvious choice to start in left until Logan returned, but that's apparently not the case. "I think we're leaning more to trying to find out what Casto can do here because of his age and what he represents for our organization," Acta said. "If Casto is going to be here, he's going to play."

Cristian Guzman went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer off Detroit's Mike Maroth on Monday.
    Guzman is batting .444/.487/.611 in 36 at-bats. One of the best things that could happen for the Nats this year would be for Guzman to play well enough in the first half for the team to be able to dump the final year and a half on his contract. So far, so good.

Jason Bergmann yielded two runs in five innings Monday in his start against the Tigers.
    Levale Speigner replaced him and gave up four runs in 3 1/3 innings. The two pitchers are believed to be competing for the spot in the rotation opened up by Jason Simontacchi's injury. Speigner, a Rule 5 pick, should make the team regardless. Bergmann might be sent down if he doesn't earn the rotation spot.

Felipe Lopez didn't play Monday because of a stiff neck.
    He's day-to-day. Lopez has had a tough spring and the Nationals now have Ronnie Belliard as insurance, but Lopez shouldn't be in much danger of losing playing time next month.

Nationals purchased the contract of infielder Matt Rogelstad from the Mariners.
    Rogelstad, 24, hit .234/.281/.328 in 192 at-bats between Single- and Double-A last year. He's just added infield depth for an organization that doesn't have much of it.

Nationals acquired infielder Wade Robinson from the Astros for catcher Danny Ardoin.
    Robinson, 26, is a journeyman infielder with little chance of reaching the majors. He hit .287/.316/.321 at three levels of the Houston farm system last season.

MLB ERA
    News from the 27th of March.
    While manager Manny Acta said he'd miss at least two weeks after getting hurt Saturday, Nook Logan is hoping to play on Opening Day.
    "Just from how I feel today, I think I'll be ready to play this weekend," Logan said. The Nationals have little to gain from letting him rush himself back into the lineup. Better to wait and see what he can do when he's at full health.

Nationals purchased the contracts of 1B Dmitri Young and LHP Ray King.
    Young will be the Nationals' primary first baseman ahead of Robert Fick while Nick Johnson is sidelined, making him a $2-$3 player in NL-only leagues. King, who was pretty much guaranteed a bullpen spot going in, has allowed four runs in 7 1/3 innings.

Nationals optioned RHP Chris Booker to Triple-A Columbus.
    Booker pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings. He'll be an option in the bullpen later this year.

Felipe Lopez returned to action on Tuesday and went 2-for-4 with a walk and a stolen base.
    Lopez missed Monday's game because of a stiff neck.

Jerome Williams defeated the Mets by allowing two runs in five innings on Tuesday night.
    He walked four and hit a batter, but he was able to minimize the damage. With Jason Simontacchi sidelined, Williams is expected to start the third game of the season for the Nationals. He'll keep his rotation spot if he pitches well during Simontacchi's absence.

Nationals reassigned RHP Jason Simontacchi and OF Abraham Nunez to minor league camp.
    Simontacchi will rehabilitate his strained right groin and maybe join the Nationals rotation in late April. In the meantime, the club will likely go with Jason Bergmann as its fifth starter.

MLB ERA
    News from the 28th of March.
    Nationals placed outfielder Alex Escobar on the 15-day disabled list following right shoulder surgery.
    With his shoulder not responding as hoped, Escobar hasn't had an at-bat in 10 days. He's likely in for a lengthy rehab assignment once he's ready to play the outfield regularly. Because he's out of options, the Nationals likely will carry him when he's healthy.

Nationals placed LHP Mike O'Connor on the 15-day disabled list following left elbow surgery.
    O'Connor, who underwent surgery in November to repair a cartilage defect in his left elbow, appears likely to miss at least the first two months. He'll probably claim a rotation spot after a rehab assignment.

Nationals placed RHP Luis Ayala on the 15-day disabled list following right elbow surgery.
    Ayala wasn't recovered from Tommy John surgery quite as quickly as hoped. Maybe he'll be ready to reclaim a setup role a month into the year. In the meantime, Ryan Wagner will be asked to step up.

Nationals placed first baseman Nick Johnson on the 15-day disabled list with a broken right leg.
    Johnson will go north with the team to continue his rehab work in Washington. He's expected to miss at least the first two months of the season. Dmitri Young will start at first base.

Nationals purchased the contract of RHP Jesus Colome from Triple-A Columbus.
    Colome won a job by allowing two runs in 8 1/3 innings this spring. His potential isn't nearly what it once was, but if he throws strikes, he could prove to be pretty useful in middle relief.

Chris Snelling went 0-for-3 on Wednesday and is in a 1-for-18 slump.
    Snelling picked a bad time to begin struggling, and he's expected to play behind Kory Casto in left if Nook Logan begins the season on the DL. He'll still likely have a little fantasy value when healthy.

John Patterson held the Orioles to two runs -- one earned -- in 6 2/3 innings in a nine-inning tie on Wednesday.
    Nick Markakis was the only regular in the lineup for the Orioles, so the performance isn't something to get excited about. Still, it's good to see him back on the mound four days after he passed out shagging flyballs in batting practice. Patterson will be the Nationals' Opening Day starter.

Manager Manny Acta is hopeful that Nook Logan could rejoin the starting lineup soon after the outfielder completed some running drills on Wednesday.
    Logan probably won't play tomorrow, but he could play in Friday's game. If he's unable to play then, Logan would go play in a minor league game on Sunday. He's still likely to open the season on the DL.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast