Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Nats Blurbs

MLB ERA
    Said Nationals manager Manny Acta on Tuesday, "If the season starts tomorrow, [Ryan] Church is the left fielder."
    It's silly that Nook Logan enters the spring with more security than Church, but at least Acta and the organization as a whole seem to have some faith in the guy with 19 homers and 77 RBI in 464 at-bats over the last two years. Church will have to compete with Chris Snelling, Alex Escobar and prospect Kory Casto in order to hold on to the job.

Nationals agreed to terms with outfielder Austin Kearns on a three-year, $17.5 million contract with a club option for 2010.
    A little pricier than anticipated, but still a pretty good move for Washington. Kearns will get $3.5 million this year, $5 million in 2008 and $8 million in 2009. The option, which would cover his second year of free agency, is worth $10 million and includes a $1 million buyout. There are no bonus clauses at all in the contract, which makes the guaranteed amount look a little more favorable for Washington.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Nationals agreed to terms with RHP Jon Rauch, RHP Jason Bergmann, LHP Micah Bowie, RHP Emiliano Fruto, RHP Joel Hanrahan, RHP Tim Redding, RHP Saul Rivera, LHP Billy Traber, RHP Ryan Wagner, OF Ryan Church, OF Michael Restovich and INF Josh Wilson on one-year deals.
    Rauch, Rivera and Wagner are all pretty much locks for bullpen spots and Bowie and Traber have pretty good chances of joining them. Traber is also in the mix for rotation spots with Bergmann, Hanrahan and Redding. Fruto is probably going to have to wait his turn in Triple-A.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Nationals agreed to terms with outfielder Nook Logan on a one-year contract.
    Logan, a .270/.319/.345 hitter in 545 major league at-bats, is essentially being handed a starting job by the Nationals this spring. He'll be a nice source of cheap steals when he's in the lineup, but he shouldn't be any sort of long-term center field option for the Nats.

Luis Ayala has been throwing off a mound for about a month now and expects to be ready for Opening Day.
    Ayala underwent Tommy John surgery last month after blowing out his elbow during the WBC. He'll help Jon Rauch in setting up for Chad Cordero.

John Patterson lost to the Nationals in arbitration and will make $850,000 this season.
    Ownership is now 4-0. Patterson was seeking a raise from $450,000 to $1.85 million in his first year of arbitration. Based on what lesser starting pitchers have made in their first years, he had a fine case. However, the arbitration panel obviously placed far more emphasis on a 2006 ruined by injury than on a 2005 in which he was one of the NL's top pitchers.

Jon Rauch said he had a chance to go back into the rotation last season, but he thinks he's better off staying in the pen.
    Rauch battled shoulder injuries before being converted into a reliever. "The question regarding me starting is the simple fact of durability," Rauch said. "In the past as a starter, I always seemed to have arm problems. My first full season, being a reliever, I was able to go out there when they called on me. That definitely is an attribute for me to help the team. The general consensus was keep me in a role where I'm comfortable in, keep me in a role I can go out there and help the team." Rauch would be a top candidate to close for the Nationals in the event of a Chad Cordero trade.

Chad Cordero said his agent talked to the Nationals last week about the possibility of striking a long-term deal.
    "I'd like to get something done," he said. "I don't know if they're willing to do something, but I'd like to." Much like Bronson Arroyo last year, Cordero might only make himself more attractive as trade bait if he agrees to a multiyear deal. He asked for $4.15 million and was offered $3.65 million in his first year of arbitration. He's not going to be eligible for free agency until after 2009.

MLB ERA
    Free agent Dmitri Young is close to signing a minor league contract with the Nationals.
    That's an awful big fall. Young is going to be taking a non-guaranteed deal from baseball worst team and he shouldn't even have much of a chance to win a starting job, though he could be the replacement at first base if Nick Johnson's broken leg sidelines him in April. Young would be better off in the AL, but it's clear no one wanted him. Just 33, he likely can still hit enough to contribute. However, he's a weak defender everywhere and playing the field only makes additional injuries more likely.

Nationals signed third baseman Tony Batista to a minor league contract.
    Batista's strong Caribbean Series didn't help him as much as hoped, as he's not even getting an invitation to major league camp. Barring an injury to Ryan Zimmerman, the 33-year-old shouldn't have any chance of making the Nationals.

Nationals signed outfielder Dmitri Young to a minor league contract.
    Young will report to minor league camp, another illustration of just how far he has to go before he'll get another opportunity. "Dmitri Young has been through an awful lot personally over the last several years. He's been extremely apologetic for the mistakes he's made in his life. He has asked for a second chance in life," GM Jim Bowden said. "He comes in knowing that the organization has zero tolerance on any incident whatsoever that may take place. If it does happen, he'll be released at that time. He understands that." If Young contributes, it probably won't be until May or June.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Young is a good bat off then bench for this team when they are down 10-2 because they have NO pitching!!!

MLB ERA
    Nationals GM Jim Bowden said Larry Broadway will receive "the first shot" to replace the injured Nick Johnson at first base.
    Johnson is likely to begin the year on the DL as he recovers from a broken leg. Other options at first base for the Nats include Travis Lee, Robert Fick and maybe Dmitri Young. Broadway would only be a temporary solution if given the job. He'd likely head back to Triple-A the moment Johnson returns.

The Nationals continue to discuss one- and two-year deal with arbitration-eligible reliever Chad Cordero.
    The two sides must not have been at all close when talking about longer deals. Cordero is three years away from free agency. He asked for $4.15 million and was offered $3.65 million in his first year of arbitration.

Nick Johnson said Friday that his broken right leg might not allow him to return before June.
    Such a slow healer. Johnson said his leg gets sore when he walks and that he's not yet able to jog. "Everything's so weak in my right leg -- my hip, my quad, everything," he added. Larry Broadway will get the first chance to replace Johnson this spring. Travis Lee, Robert Fick and maybe Dmitri Young are also in running.

Alex Escobar is hitting off a tee and doesn't plan to resume facing pitching for a couple of weeks.
    Escobar, recovering from a separated shoulder suffered last August, is also going to be limited defensively for at least the first couple of weeks of March. He may begin the year on the DL and continue his rehab in Triple-A. Since he's out of options, the Nationals would have to put him on waivers if they wanted to send him down.

Austin Kearns is set to open the season batting cleanup with Nick Johnson likely to miss at least the first two months.
    Better for his value if he was hitting fifth behind an on-base machine like Johnson. With Cristian Guzman making a ton of outs as the likely No. 2 batter, RBI are likely to be hard to come by for the Nationals' middle-of-the-order hitters this year.

MLB ERA
    Kory Casto is expected to get most of his playing time this spring as a third baseman.
    It doesn't sound like he'll be much a part of the competition for the starting job in left field. Back when the Ryan Church rumors were flying, it appeared Casto had a real chance of opening the year as a regular for the Nationals. However, it now looks like Church is staying, and with the addition of Chris Snelling, it's even more likely that Casto will head to Triple-A. He probably will play left field there.

Nationals signed second baseman Ronnie Belliard to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    It's ridiculous that some team didn't step up and make Belliard a better offer than this. He'll get $750,000 when he makes the Nationals. The club would likely win more games this year with Belliard at second and Felipe Lopez at short than with Cristian Guzmanin the starting lineup. However, since they're going to finish in last place anyway, it's likely that Guzman will have the job at the beginning of the year.

Cristian Guzman said his shoulder is "not 100 percent" and it will be two or three weeks before he's throwing in workouts.
    "A little bit sore, still," he said. "I'm just a little bit tired because I worked a lot" in the offseason." He's expected to undergo an MRI to make sure his shoulder has healed correctly. Even with Ronnie Belliard set to be in camp, the Nationals still have Guzman penciled into their starting lineup. Not only do they plan on playing him regularly, but they plan on batting him second. If he stays healthy, he could battle Juan Pierre for the NL lead in outs made.

Nationals team doctor Ben Shaffer examined the latest X-rays of Nick Johnson's right leg and said the first baseman's broken femur still is visible. "It's not completely healed," Shaffer said. "But it has shown progress."
    Shaffer originally thought Johnson would be ready for spring training, but he's been proven wrong and he's now acknoledging that Johnson is a slow healer. "I've made predictions which have not exactly come true, so I'm reluctant to give you an exact date," he said. "Is it possible the fracture could be healed enough for him to really start pushing it in April? Yes, it's possible. Could it be May, or as he put it, June? Yes."

An MRI on Cristian Guzman's injured shoulder revealed tendinitis, which is reportedly not considered serious.
    Guzman said upon reporting to camp that the shoulder was not 100 percent. "It's a little frustrating, but I think everything will be OK," Guzman said.

MLB ERA
    Tigers manager Jim Leyland responded Tuesday to criticism leveled at the team by Dmitri Young, calling it "totally out of line."
    Young criticized his former team for not supporting him through personal problems last season. "I did not think Dmitri's performance on the field was an asset to this organization, and it broke my heart because he was a guy we were counting on," Leyland said. "The part that upsets me is that this guy missed a lot of the season taking care of a problem he created, not one the Tigers created. The fact that we didn't support him is (wrong). We supported everything."

Chad Cordero defeated the Nationals in arbitration Wednesday, being awarded $4.15 million for this season.
    Washington had offered $3.65 million and Cordero made just $525,000 in 2006. "I'm glad to see it all over now," Cordero said. "I can concentrate on the game a lot more and not have to worry about that."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

You can't see it, but my violin is playing for him. I understand we all have personal problems, but that is why they are personal right?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Nice payday for Cordero, up from $525,000 to $4.15 million. Maybe the only National who would go in a fantasy baseball draft.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    I know you are not being serious but come on mang

Austin Kearns, Nick Johnson, Felipe Lopez, Ryan Zimmerman, John Patterson

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    I know you are not being serious but come on mang

Austin Kearns, Nick Johnson, Felipe Lopez, Ryan Zimmerman, John Patterson
    How easily I forget the immortal Nick The Stick Johnson is a National. He'll probably be my starting 1B and first round pick.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Nationals have to have a lead in order for Cordero to have any worth.

MLB ERA
    Relatively unimpressive as an outfielder after being drafted last season, Chris Marrero is set to man first base while he participates in the Nationals' accelerated program.
    Marrero was a third baseman in high school, but there was never any chance of him staying there. The hope is that he'll have the bat to play anywhere, so the Nationals might as well move him now.

Cristian Guzman will resume throwing Friday after being shut down the past three days because of mild tendinitis in his right shoulder.
    "I feel a lot better," Guzman said. "It's a little bit tight right now. I'm doing exercises today, and tomorrow we're going to throw from 60 feet, about 25 or 30 throws, and we'll see what happens. I'm going to do everything normal tomorrow."

Before winning his arbitration case on Thursday, Chad Cordero said he turned down a two-year offer from the Nationals on the recommendation of the MLBPA.
    Not very often a player comes forward and admits there was some pressure from the union. "I don't know why I didn't sign [the two-year deal]," Cordero said. "I wanted to. The Players Association thought I had a good case and they wanted see how it turned out. Even if I lost my arbitration case, I wasn't going to lose. It's still a lot of money. It's still more money than I ever would have thought [I'd make]." Cordero isn't going to be a free agent until after 2009.

John Patterson threw 35 pitches without pain Thursday in his first batting practice session.
    "The session went well and it was good to see a hitter again," he said. Patterson isn't expected to have any lingering issues from last year's forearm surgery. However, additional arm problems are a possibility. He's more of a sleeper than a sure thing.

Luis Ayala has reported no problems with his elbow as he comes back from Tommy John surgery.
    Ayala has begun throwing his slider in bullpen sessions, but won't pitch on back-to-back days for a while. "It's hard," Ayala said. "I want to go out and do everything, but they tell me I can't."

Jesus Colome reportedly missed Thursday's workout because of an abscess on his right buttocks.
    Colome, who is on a minor league deal, is hoping to return to action over the weekend.

Nationals manager Manny Acta said that Alex Escobar will only be used as a designated hitter until March 15.
    Escobar has been throwing to test the shoulder he separated last August. Still, his status for Opening Day is in some doubt.

After throwing a baseball Friday for the first time this spring, Cristian Guzman said his right shoulder felt a little tight.
    Probably to be expected. Guzman took ground balls and threw softly about 50 times today. He hopes to be ready for the beginning of the exhibition schedule.

MLB ERA
    The Washington Post reports that the Nationals are likely to keep Rule 5 pick Jesus Flores on the Opening Day roster.
    Flores is 22 years old and has yet to play above Single-A, but he's a solid catching prospect and the Nationals aren't expecting to contend anyway. "Let's face it: We're talking about building this franchise from the ground up," manager Manny Acta said. "It would be very nice if we could keep this guy next year and make him part of our farm system if he doesn't show everybody that he's ready to stay as a backup here again."

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast