Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Nats Blurbs

Austin Kearns hit a solo homer and an RBI single in a 6-1 win over the Brewers on Sunday.
    The Nationals had just six hits, no walks, and only one batter reach base via the hit by pitch, but still managed to score six times. The homer was Kearns' 23rd of the season and seventh since leaving Cincinnati. Ex-Red Felipe Lopez also added a three-run single in the contest.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Brian Schneider went 4-for-5 and stole the fourth base of his career Monday against the Mets.
    He was also caught stealing for eighth time in his career. With just four homers and 29 runs scored to go along with his .254 average, Schneider has been a disappointment for fantasy purposes this season. It also appears that he's peaked defensively. Still, he'll probably give the Nationals their money's worth over the next three years. He's due another $13.3 million after agreeing to a long-term deal in January.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    @ Gomer having peaked defensively. He's one of the most overrated defensive catchers ever!

What makes you say that? At least to me, he's always come off as a solid, if not spectacular defensive catcher.

Ryan Zimmerman strengthened his NL ROY chances with a three-hit, three-RBI night as Washington edged Philly 4-3.
    Zimmerman, batting .286, is just the third NL rookie over the past 50 years to drive in 100 runs, joining Albert Pujols and Mike Piazza. That's some nice company for the kid to be keeping, but he's got some stiff competition for the NL ROY Award thanks to the Marlins' amazing kiddie corps.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I watched him perform for way too long when he was in Montreal. Michael Barrett > him. And he's declined since then.

MLB ERA
    Schneider was great the past three years, and decent this year.

Barrett is frankly bad on a pure defensive standpoint, but he calls a better game than most catchers I've seen.

Schneider's going to decline pretty horribly next year though and Barrett probably will be bette.r

Ryan Zimmerman had an RBI single Friday.
    That's 110 RBI for the rookie who keeps padding his numbers as he seeks the NL ROY Award.

I'd give it to him.

MLB ERA
    Nationals re-signed catcher-first baseman Robert Fick to a minor league contract.
    Fick would make an awful lot of sense on the team's bench if the Nationals plan to keep Rule-5 pick Jesus Flores on the roster. He's not a true backup catcher, but as a No. 3 guy and a pinch-hitter, he has something to offer.

The Rockies have attended all of free agent Brian Lawrence's workouts and recently were treated to a private showing.
    Lawrence missed 2006 following shoulder surgery. "He has made it clear to them he would like to pitch there. His preference is to stay in the NL West," agent Page Odle said. Lawrence is one of the better gambles out there right now, and his sinker would make him an ideal fit with the Rockies. The Rangers are another team that should have some interest, though there has yet to be any indication that they've talked to him.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The Red Sox are still attempting to acquire Chad Cordero from the Nationals, though they're not currently willing to part with all of the young pitching Washington wants.
    The Nationals are focused on the club's top pitching prospect, Clay Buchholz, as well as their No. 2 guy, Michael Bowden, and potential closer Craig Hansen. It's possible the Red Sox would part with Hansen for the right closer candidate, but it's a stretch to say that Cordero is worth two of the three. He wouldn't put up the same kind of numbers in the AL and Fenway that he has in the NL and RFK Stadium.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Free agent Brian Lawrence may make a decision this week on whether to sign with the Rockies or another team.
    No one else has gone public with interest in Lawrence, but it figures that there are some other clubs out there. TRe Rockies remain the favorites. "I expect this to be a defining week," agent Page Odle said Monday. "Brian will throw again (in the next few days) and I assume Colorado will be there. We have had very good conversations with them."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Please let the Rockies have him

MLB ERA
    Mike O'Connor, who underwent surgery in November to repair a cartilage defect in his left elbow, may not resume throwing for another month.
    It's uncertain whether he'll be ready for Opening Day. "It may be close," O'Connor said. "That's my goal, to be ready as soon as I can. But I think it's going to be hard for me to get a lot of games in (during spring training). I'd like to try to be ready, but I don't know if that's realistic." That O'Connor will be competing for a rotation spot may cause him to try to speed up his rehab. Still, beginning the season in Triple-A wouldn't be the worst thing. The Nationals are going to run through a bunch of starters this year.

Nationals team orthopedist Ben Shaffer said that John Patterson, who underwent forearm surgery in July, is "doing great."
    As well he should be. Had the Nationals been in the race last season, there's a good chance Patterson would have attempted a comeback in September. He's expected to enter spring training at 100 percent.

Nick Johnson continues to make slow progress from his broken right leg and might not be ready for Opening Day.
    "It's coming along," Johnson said by phone on Tuesday. "But I don't know yet about the season. I just have to see where I am each week, then try to get better than that by the next week." While Johnson's break is healing normally, he's still walking with a limp and he doesn't have complete range of motion with the leg. The possibility exists that he'll miss the first month of the season, putting Larry Broadway or Robert Fick at first base.

MLB ERA
    The Pirates have joined the Rockies as finalists for free agent Brian Lawrence.
    The Diamondbacks and Giants also have some level of interest, and there are still more clubs in the mix, agent Page Odie said. One might be the Rangers. Lawrence isn't expected to receive a multiyear deal coming off shoulder surgery, but he could end up being guaranteed at least $2 million-$3 million in a one-year deal.

The Twins are still believed to have some interest in free agents Ramon Ortiz and Bruce Chen after signing Sidney Ponson.
    Neither Ortiz nor Chen seems like a very good fit for the Metrodome or, really, any AL team at all. That said, if it will only take a minor league deal, the Twins would happily add either to the competition for rotation spots.

Cristian Guzman believes he is fully recovered from surgery to repair the torn labrum that cost him 2006.
    "My shoulder is good because I'm working hard every day," Guzman said. "I'm going to be in spring training early to do all my stuff. I want to meet all the new people over there. Everything is normal." With Jose Vidro gone, Guzman will be the Nationals' regular shortstop to begin the season.

MLB ERA
    The Mets have some interest in free agent Tony Armas Jr. as they attempt to add one more veteran to their rotation.
    They'd likely prefer Jeff Weaver or Tomo Ohka if the price is right. However, Armas should come quite a bit cheaper and will only command a one-year deal unless some team loses its mind.

The Rockies have yet to join the Mariners and Padres in making an offer for free agent Brian Lawrence.
    "But we have some good interaction going on with the Rockies," agent Page Odle said. "(Colorado) does make a lot of sense for him." Assuming the team is willing to fork over some cash. The Pirates are another finalist for Lawrence.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast