Thread: Soriano Disqualified?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Soriano Disqualified?

Second baseman Alfonso Soriano informed the Nationals on Monday afternoon that he will not play outfield for them, while the team told him that he could be placed on the disqualified list if he failed to do so.

Soriano, who played most of March representing the Dominican Republic World Baseball Classic, was set to hit leadoff and play the outfield for the Nationals against the Dodgers on Monday night. But when the players went out on the field, only eight players were present.

Manager Frank Robinson then went to home plate umpire Mike Estabrook and told him that a lineup change was going to be made. Brandon Watson, who was supposed to sit out the game, went to center field, while Ryan Church switched from center to left field.

A few minutes later, general manager Jim Bowden indicated that Soriano will be given a second chance to play the outfield on Wednesday afternoon against the Cardinals. If Soriano refused to play the outfield that day, the team most likely will put him on the disqualified list without pay.

"He made it pretty clear that he was not going to play," Bowden said. "We hope that when he reflects on it, we hope that he changes his mind and plays left field."

Soriano was acquired from the Rangers this offseason for outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge and right-hander Armando Galarraga.
    I love how Frank does not **** around and finds guys who want to play. Ohka didn't want to be there so they sent his ass packing in a trade that brought them what they needed at the time. Too bad Spivey broke his wrist but shit happens. The same will happen here with the Nats freeing up money in the process and will get something in return, either pitching or an OFer.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    just trade him to the Reds

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    soriano is such a jackass. of course, bowden was kind of a moron to bring him in the first place, but that doesnt absolve soriano at all.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

*smirk*
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Frank Robinson got balls, if anything. Sure, he's old and senile...but he's got balls.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Trade him to Colorado for Holliday and cheese.

Holiday cheese?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Matt Holliday!

That's what the Nationals need, Coors byproducts. Granted, Bowden obviously has a hard-on for Arlington byproducts, so he might do it.

.357/.409/.593
    .256/.313/.416

I'll let you figure out which line is home and which is away.

At least Holliday would be a defensive upgrade over Soriano.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Juan Pierre is proof that there is life offensively after Coors, though. Uribe has even had his moments, ones he never had with Colorado at least. Holliday could also double as a Redskins 3rd string QB.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    DQ'ed with no pay and no service time?

He better be playing LF tomorrow...

MLB ERA
    Soriano's a scrub. Who cares.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Juan Pierre is proof that there is life offensively after Coors, though. Uribe has even had his moments, ones he never had with Colorado at least. Holliday could also double as a Redskins 3rd string QB.
    Larry Walker is proof there is life before and after Coors.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Soriano is to make his decision tomorrow.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"I'm going to think about it. I'm going to talk it over with his wife and agent, [Diego Bentz]," Soriano said when reached by phone. "I want to play, but they have [Jose] Vidro at second base. I will make a decision [on Wednesday morning]."
    If his agent is smart, he will talk Soriano into playing the OF. I am sure you can go ask every single GM in the league and they will all tell you that he isn't a second baseman.

MLB ERA
    His agent told him "Hey, refuse to take the field."

I definitely see his agent huffing some more amyl nitrate and saying "Hey, **** them."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I hope Soriano gets put on the disqualified list so the agent doesn't get a dime.