Thread: Nats, Johnson Agree To 3 Year Deal

Nationals Nats, Johnson Agree To 3 Year Deal

VIERA, Fla. (AP) -- First baseman Nick Johnson agreed to a $16.5 million, three-year contract extension with the Washington Nationals on Saturday, a deal that ties him to the club through the 2009 season.

"Just the opportunity to be here the next four years -- I'm looking forward to winning," said the oft-injured Johnson, who hit .289 with 15 home runs, 35 doubles and 74 RBIs last season.

"I haven't won the big one yet, and I want to bring that to Washington."

He signed a $3.2 million, one-year deal in January, avoiding arbitration. That contract stays in effect this season, followed by the extension, which will pay $5.5 million each season.

Johnson made his major league debut with the New York Yankees in 2001, and he's developed a reputation as a fragile player.

He played in a career-high 131 games in 2005.

"If he doesn't have the injuries, he's in the $8-$10 million a year range," general manager Jim Bowden said. "But he's been hurt, so we hope he gets healthy, and if he's healthy he has a real good deal. And if he doesn't get healthy, we still have a good deal for what he brings to the table."

Johnson joins catcher Brian Schneider as Nationals signed through 2009; Schneider signed a $16 million, four-year deal in January.

"This is a step in the right direction," manager Frank Robinson said. "This sends out a good message to the fans and to the rest of the players that if we feel like a player ... is going to be good for the ballclub in the future, we won't be afraid to lock them up."

Bowden now will turn his attention to trying to sign other key players to long-term deals. He said he's made multiyear offers to outfielder Jose Guillen and Alfonso Soriano, who's resisting Washington's wishes that he move from second base to left field.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Thats a large investment for a team that doesn't have an owner, especially for Johnson. I think the telling sign is that Johnson played in a career high 131 games last season. He missed a month of games, and that was when the Nationals swooned last summer. A large sum to tie up in a firstbaseman thats injury prone, although if Johnson can stay healthy, its a steal, because Johnson is a Gold Glove caliber 1B, who can hit .300, 25 Homers, and has a great eye.

What I noticed as well is that Bowden is working on a multi-year extension for Soriano. Guillen, I understand, as he has gone from a cancer early in his career, to a leader for the Nats last year, and a vocal one at that. Soriano is very selfish, and I don't see why they even want to work with this guy. Who knows, maybe if they pay him now, Sori will move to the OF, but its very doubtful, and doubtful that the Nats can come up with the funds, especially when a new owner would want the say in a player like Soriano.

MLB ERA
    Jim Bowden is a douchebag.

Overpaid for Johnson and is trying to extend Soriano for a few years? **** Bowden.

From what I'm hearing, things are getting very close to someone buying the Nationals, so that'd probably explain the sudden interest in extensions.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    This isn't a bad deal at all. Johnson is only making $3.2 milion this year and will only make $5.5 million over the next three years. He is only making $1.5 million more than Schnieder and that's pretty damn good for a guy with a career .383 OBP. Johnson has a good glove and needs to be healthy in that three hole with Vidro and possibly Church hitting in front of him. Soriano will move his ass to left if he knows what's good for him or Frank will shove his size 11's up his ass.

AA ERA
    This isn't a bad deal at all. Johnson is only making $3.2 milion this year and will only make $5.5 million over the next three years. He is only making $1.5 million more than Schnieder and that's pretty damn good for a guy with a career .383 OBP. Johnson has a good glove and needs to be healthy in that three hole with Vidro and possibly Church hitting in front of him. Soriano will move his ass to left if he knows what's good for him or Frank will shove his size 11's up his ass.
    I agree, he would have gotten a lot more if he had gone to Free Agency. So with Johnson's health issues the Nats were able to get him at a more affordable price and "IF" he can remain healthy this would appear to be an even more affordable deal from the Nats stand point.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett