Thread: After Eye Surgery, Guzman Sees Brighter Year

Nationals After Eye Surgery, Guzman Sees Brighter Year

VIERA, Fla. (AP) -- After spending most of last season below the Mendoza Line, Cristian Guzman had his eyes fixed. The first results are promising.

The Washington Nationals shortstop was an early arrival at spring training Tuesday and looked sharp in batting practice, having ditched contact lenses for laser surgery. He claimed to be oblivious to the fact that the team has signed a veteran to contend for his job.

"They can bring here Jeter, I don't care," Guzman said. "This is the new Guzie right now."

Royce Clayton isn't exactly Derek Jeter, but he did hit .270 in 141 games last season with Arizona -- 51 points better than Guzman's career-low .219. The Nationals signed Clayton to a minor-league deal in case Guzman continues to fall well short of the expected return on the four-year, $16.8 million contract he signed a year ago.

"All I want is Cristian to come out here and be himself," manager Frank Robinson said. "I know he's a better player, a better hitter than the way the performed last year. He put three or four good years together with Minnesota, and that was not a fluke. You don't forget how to hit."

Adjusting to NL pitching for the first time, Guzman was batting .192 on Aug. 31 last year and earned the distinction of being the most-booed home team player in baseball's comeback season in the nation's capital. He also made 15 errors in his first season playing regularly on a natural grass infield.

Guzman hit .333 in the final 26 games to get past the .200 Mendoza Line, but even his own explanation of the late surge was modest: "Maybe the ball finds some holes."

"When you're struggling the whole year like that, you have to be strong to be happy every day," Guzman said. "When you come to feel you're doing nothing for your teammates, you feel a little bit down."

Three days after the season ended, he had the eye surgery.

"Now it's the first day I do BP here," Guzman said after nailing line drives with regularity out of the cage. "I see the ball real good. ... It doesn't matter what people say. They're going to enjoy the new Guzie this year. I've got a little surprise for them."

Guzman arrived two days before the Nationals' voluntary report date for position players. He said it wasn't because the team signed Clayton, but his eagerness certainly helps him get an edge on the new competition.

"Some guys, they get down on themselves and wonder 'Why?"' Robinson said. "But other guys, it challenges them: 'Well, I'm not going to let someone come in and take my job. I'll show them that I'm a better player.' I think that's the way he should react and that's the way he will react, because really the job is there for him to lose."

Notes

Felix Rodriguez, the only pitcher yet to report, has secured his visa and is expected Thursday. ... Robinson is having his annual back-and-forth with pitching coach Randy St. Claire over how many pitchers will be on the opening day roster. Robinson is happy with 11, but St. Claire always lobbies for 12. The health of players who were injured last season, including Livan Hernandez, could be a determining factor. "I don't know if you always need 12 pitchers," Robinson said. "But, then again, if there's a question mark about Livo's health or the other starters, then we may be forced to take 12." ... Individual tickets for opening day and the regular season go on sale March 4.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

MLB ERA
    Couldn't hit that well when he could see.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I hope for the Nats sake that Royce gets the job. Royce still has one of the best arms at SS in the game.