Thread: Cordero Wants To Prove Last Year Was No Fluke

Nationals Cordero Wants To Prove Last Year Was No Fluke

VIERA, Fla. (AP) -- The player who led the majors in saves last year visited Las Vegas in the offseason. He wore an all-black baseball cap with a flattened brim pulled all the way down to his eyelids.

An attempt at disguise? No, just the opposite. After all, this was Chad Cordero, making the same fashion statement he sports on the mound for the Washington Nationals.

"A lot more people notice me. I was at the MGM Grand and someone noticed me out there," Cordero said. "It was kind of weird."

Cordero does not purposely seek attention and is not entirely comfortable with it, but he has three can't-miss attributes any marketing guru would love: a catchy nickname ("Chief"), an ever-present but somewhat goofy smile and that distinctive way of wearing his hat.

None of which, of course, would matter much if he couldn't pitch. Last year, he entered training camp just shy of his 23rd birthday without any assurances that the closer's job was his. By year's end, he had set a franchise record with 47 saves and had appeared in his first All-Star game. Last week, he was selected for the U.S. team in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

"I never thought I would do what I did last year," Cordero said. "This year it's a lot different. I know my role, but I've still got to go out there and work hard and battle and show that last year wasn't a fluke."

Frank Robinson said he knew all along that Cordero was going to be his closer last spring, but the manager wanted to make the youngster earn the job.

Cordero not only earned it, he remained unflappable while converting a franchise-record 26 consecutive save opportunities to help propel the Nationals into first place at the All-Star break -- and retained the unmistakable smile even while he and the team tapered off during the second half of the season.

"It didn't affect him. I don't know if it ever will. I hope it doesn't," Robinson said. "He's just that down-to-earth-type of guy. You look at him, it's a little hard to believe, because of the way players react today. They want to see themselves on ESPN SportsCenter at night, with these outrageous quotes and statements. He's not like that. It's not in his makeup. He's the same. He seems to be the same this year."

Cordero is listed at 6-foot and 198 pounds: stocky, and maybe even a little pudgy. He finished last by more than half a lap -- and even had to stop at times and walk -- when attempting a mile run with a group of pitchers after Sunday's workout.

Robinson's concerns over Cordero, however, have less to do with fitness and more about becoming a more complete pitcher. Cordero's strength last year was his ability to locate his fastball and his composure in tight games in the ninth inning.

"He needs to work on his other pitches," Robinson said. "He needs to work on his slider and his change-up. One year through the league he's gained experience. He understands a little bit more about the role over the full course of the season, how you attack hitters."

Cordero tired late last season. He was 2-1 with a 1.13 ERA and 31 saves in the first half and 0-3 with a 3.04 ERA and 16 saves in the second half. Robinson takes the responsibility for using the youngster in 74 games.

"I've got to get someone else that I believe in to a do a job that takes some of the load off of him," Robinson said.

Robinson also isn't thrilled about the prospect of losing Cordero and catcher Brian Schneider for 2 1/2 weeks during the World Baseball Classic. Cordero is confident he'll get his usual number of innings, but Robinson doesn't believe that will be the case on a U.S. team stacked with a talented bullpen.

"I have mixed emotions about it right now," Robinson said. "It's going to spread some baseball goodwill all the way across the world. That's good. But I'm kind of selfish. I'm a manager, I'd like to have all my players right here in spring training for the entire spring, but that's not going to be."

After Sunday's workout, Cordero was cordial with every fan as he signed autographs and posed, although his eyes probably won't be visible in the photos because he never lifted the brim of his hat. Next time he's in Vegas, he might have to wear the hat backward if he wants some privacy.

"Or else," he said, "not where a hat."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

MLB ERA
    He's an amazing pitcher. I'm not sure he'll get as many saves this year, but I'm expecting at least 30

Rookie ERA

Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    He's an amazing pitcher. I'm not sure he'll get as many saves this year, but I'm expecting at least 30
    yes he is
    Nationals/Ravens Rule
    We Remember the Legacy of Luther Vandross
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Nati...ionals-sig.jpg