Thread: RFK's Bigger than you think

MLB ERA

RFK's Bigger than you think

RFK outfield irks Nats

Daily News Wire Services

Armed with a 300-foot yellow tape measure, Washington Nationals outfielder Jose Guillen decided to see for himself yesterday just how far a ball must be hit to clear the wall at RFK Stadium.

About 4 hours before last night's game against Roger Clemens and the Houston Astros, Guillen was on the field with other Nationals players and members of the coaching staff, checking the measurements from home plate to the fences.

The Washington Post reported yesterday that the Nationals had brought in a surveyor to check the distances and found that it was 394.74 feet to the mark on the wall in left-center that read "380," and 395 feet to the mark in right-center that read "380." The team moved the green pads with the "380" markings closer to the respective foul lines to be more accurate.

"Every ball I hit to the warning track, I write down. I should have 29 homers. I should be up there with Derrek Lee, Andruw Jones," said Guillen, who has hit 18 of his 19 homers on the road.

"You see the balls I'm hitting in those ballparks away from here," he added. "I just want to find out the truth on my own."
    http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...l/12204544.htm
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AA ERA
    Hahahha I love how the pads are in the wrong place. Nice work.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    "Every ball I hit to the warning track, I write down. I should have 29 homers. I should be up there with Derrek Lee, Andruw Jones," said Guillen, who has hit 18 of his 19 homers on the road.

"You see the balls I'm hitting in those ballparks away from here," he added. "I just want to find out the truth on my own."

The truth? No Jose, that's the park you play in, so deal with the facts and be quiet. I hate it when players blame the stadium, just get over it already.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jose complaining about someone/something affecting his own PT and stats? [sarcasm]Nooooo way.[/sarcasm]

Just shut up, Jose. We all know it was you who ratted out Donnelly and Scioscia and let Frank Robinson do all the talking on the field. And you still had the stones to publicly rip Scioscia afterwards with a bunch of f-bombs. Enjoy your time right now in Washington because if Frank decides to start Ryan Church once in a while in the lineup instead of you or have Cristian Guzman pinch-run for you, of course you'll cry about your own playing time and want out again.

Rookie ERA
    The fence is the same for visitors as well as the home team. Just because it is marked wrong doesn't give you a home run.

That been said...How embarrassing is it that the Nats, run by the MLB, could have the measurements off by so much??

Also, the GM for the Nats has stated that he is keeping track of Jose's warning track outs for future contract negotiations with Jose's contract. WTF?

All other teams in the MLB are supplimenting thier payroll and he is going to jack with what ifs?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's Bowden for you Ted. Ok Jose, you SHOULD have 45 homers..... let's talk contract.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Exactly what Bowden would be up to. I couldn't put it past him thats for sure. But I also have to give it to Guillen and say that if he were playing elsewhere he we have many more HR.