Thread: Livan: 'It's 99.9 percent I'm not going to pitch no more'

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Livan: 'It's 99.9 percent I'm not going to pitch no more'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Perhaps Livan Hernandez was frustrated by giving away a lead in a loss to the NL-worst Colorado Rockies. Or by tying a modern major-league record by hitting four batters. Or maybe he was upset he was taken out after seven innings.

The Washington Nationals' All-Star pitcher wouldn't say exactly what was bothering him or fully explain why he suddenly announced after Wednesday night's 3-2 loss to the Rockies that he's contemplating having right knee surgery that could end his season.

"I'm not happy for three years. After the season, I'm going to tell you" why, said Hernandez, 12-4 with a 3.44 ERA and the unquestioned staff ace.

"It's 99.9 percent I'm not going to pitch no more" this season, he said. "I'm done, I think, so let's see what happens. ... I'll go to sleep and I'm going to make a decision tonight."

His right knee has been a nagging problem all year, and it was drained May 16. But Hernandez said it's not bothering him enough to affect his pitching -- nor was he told to have the knee worked on.

"It's not the doctors. It's me. I'm the doctor. I don't need it, but I'm going to" have an operation, he said.

Pressed to explain why, Hernandez said: "I'm tired of something. ... I'll tell you when the season's over. I'm mad."

Told of Hernandez's comments, Nationals manager Frank Robinson said he didn't want to say much without hearing directly from his pitcher.

"I have no idea who he's mad at," Robinson said.

Hernandez allowed a two-run homer to J.D. Closser in the sixth inning that wiped out Washington's 2-1 lead and helped the Rockies win a road series for the first time since September.
    Article Link

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'm concerned as he is on all of my fantasy teams, at least 3 out of 4...

MLB ERA
    "I'm done, I think.."

Doesn't sound like a decision is set in stone. I hate to cheer for a guy ending his season, but this pretty much gives Atlanta the division. Ya think?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    This guy is no team player. His knee has bothered him all year and has pitched well. He was not a team player when he played in SF and sure as hell wasn't in the 2002 WS. This threw everyone from the trainer to Bowden for a huge shock. Bowden better make a move and quick. Brett Tomko is available.

Well, it looks like he changed his mind.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

He said he's not having surgery.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Hernandez is an emotional headcase. But hell, you go and throw a thousand pitches every game and it would probably make you a little screwy. I wonder how they convinced him to change his mind?

He probably convinced himself, seeing as he didn't need the surgery in the first place.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Well, I don't think that was the true reason for the comments he made. Knee is code for Frank Robinson.

AA ERA
    I never did buy into the comments. I think he was just frustrated.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Whatever. Braves are now tied with them for 1st.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Livan isnt going to be out unless either A) His arm falls off or B) He retires after throwing 201 pitches in his next start.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)