Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strasburg Update

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nationals Strasburg Update

Stephen Strasburg (elbow) threw off a mound Monday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery last September.
    "First bullpen in the books," Strasburg wrote via his Twitter account. "Felt great! Hopefully time will speed up now!" Good news. There's still an outside shot that he could be back in September, but it's more likely that he won't see him with the Nationals again until the 2012 season.
    It would be nice to see Strasburg make a start this September to have some carry over into next season. It would get the fans excited about 2012 and give Strasburg a taste of what he has missed.

MLB ERA

Re: Strasburg Update

It would be nice to see him in uniform again this year, but it would be a huge mistake to rush him back. I hope he makes a complete recovery and is a factor in theL Cy Young race next season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Banned
    Rookie ERA

There is no need to rush him back this season as much as the Nats fans may want to see him quicker. They would be sick if he came back too soon and was re-injured.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I picked him up in a keeper fantasy league this season. A couple games in the minors is all I hope for, but am looking forward to a full season next year.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

I will be totally shocked if the Nationals put this guy in a uniform come September. I think there mind set as well as many of the Nats fans is that he will be pitching in many more important games in years to come. Let's use him there.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    It would be nice to see him in uniform again this year, but it would be a huge mistake to rush him back. I hope he makes a complete recovery and is a factor in theL Cy Young race next season.
    the doctors wouldn't let him pitch if there was any risk. half the difficulty with returning from TJ is the mental aspect of not worrying about it in game, and a few starts at the end of the season means he can come to camp worry free.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Stephen Strasburg (elbow) tossed 20 fastballs in a bullpen session Monday with no issues.
    Strasburg threw at 100 percent effort for the first time since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last September and told reporters after the workout that he's feeling great. "Today was the first day they allowed me to let it go, and that's the hard thing about Tommy John rehab," said the right-hander. "You can feel great, but you don't really know what's going on inside there. You have to listen to the people that have gone through this before." The 22-year-old should be ready by the start of spring training next February.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Stephen Strasburg (elbow) has progressed to throwing curveballs.
    "Felt strong today and curve ball was working much better today for the 2nd time throwing some," said Strasburg via his Twitter account. "Pretty excited for Saturday one step closer!" Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said that Strasburg is only throwing them at about 50 percent effort, but it's still a nice step forward for the rehabbing right-hander. He should begin throwing in minor league rehab games during the second half of the season.
    Great to see him progressing so well. Baseball needs a guy like him back and at full strength.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post speculates that it's "feasible" Stephen Strasburg (elbow) will make a minor league rehab start by mid-August.
    Strasburg threw a 30-pitch bullpen session at "full effort" a few days ago, which received positive reviews from Nationals pitching coordinator Spin Williams. While Strasburg has yet to pitch batting practice, the Nationals have already discussed possible dates for him to begin a minor league rehab assignment. If he progresses quickly enough, there's still an outside chance he could pitch for the Nationals in September.
    I'm curious to hear what his mph is on that fastball.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nationals manager Davey Johnson said that Stephen Strasburg (elbow) topped out at 95 mph in a simulated game Monday.
    And that was "a little tentative," according to Johnson. We'll sign up for that. Strasburg's rehab from Tommy John surgery is moving along quite nicely, though he'll likely need several more simulated games and sessions of live batting practice before going out on a minor league rehab assignment. There's still a chance he'll pitch with the Nats in September.
    95 mph with room for improvement, I love it!!!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It seems likely Strasburg will be starting the minor league trail soon. The Nats have said they want him to touch every level of the system...though he may skip Potomac like Harper did. (There are a ton of concerns about the field there, for whatever that's worth.) I saw him once in person last year and he threw six no-hit innings...though a close play that could have been an error or hit was aided by the official scorer (who was actually...me). I'm pretty excited to get a chance to see him again, and Syracuse drew record-setting crowds when he was here last season.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

In his first rehab start, Stephen Strasburg (elbow) went 1 2/3 innings Sunday for Single-A Hagerstown, allowing one earned run on three hits and no walks and striking out four against Greensboro.
    The run came on a solo home run by Jacob Realmuto. Strasburg threw 31 pitches, 25 for strikes. Strasburg was consistently in the upper-90s with his fastball, topping out at 98 mph. The 23-year-old phenom is 11 months removed from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery and could return to the major leagues for a couple of starts in mid-to-late September.
    I think it would be good for baseball and the Nats to see Strasburg pitch in '10. Great to hear he is topping out at 98 mph so the arm strength is there, just have to condition it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Stephen Strasburg (elbow) will make his next minor league rehab start Thursday with Double-A Harrisburg.
    Strasburg is expected to throw 75-80 pitches or six innings, so if all goes according to plan, this will be his final start before rejoining the Nationals on September 6. The 23-year-old right-hander has a ridiculous 25/3 K/BB ratio over 14 1/3 innings in his first five rehab outings.
    I think the Nats have done a good job so far in bringing Strasburg back and can't wait to see him throwing some MLB innings!

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's coming...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Officially activated today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast