Thread: Nats Acquire Gorzelanny?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nationals Nats Acquire Gorzelanny?

Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Nationals have acquired left-hander Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs for three prospects.
    Once Gorzelanny takes a physical Tuesday, the deal will be finalized. The Mets looked into trading for him last month, but that never panned out and the busy Nationals pounced after the New Year. It's not yet known what Washington gave up, but we're thinking at least one decent prospect is headed to Chicago. Gorzelanny, 28, posted a 4.09 ERA and racked up 119 strikeouts in 136 1/3 innings last season. He is a nice mid-rotation starter.
    Decent move for the Nationals who have been after a starter all offseason and Rizzo was starting to get frustrated by not being able to land one. Three "prospects" might be a bit much but I doubt any of them will amount to anything or are even that good. Just depth for the Cubs to help replace what they gave up in the Garza deal. When they got Garza, Gorzelanny became expendable. Gorzelanny really needs to work on his walk rate but he should be a solid pickup for the Nats.

This comes on the same day they signed Alex Cora to a minor league deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Nats Acquire Gorzelanny?

Cubs and LHP Tom Gorzelanny avoided arbitration Tuesday by agreeing to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.
    The Cubs are in the process of trading Gorzelanny to the Nationals but they had to reach a pre-arbitration contract with him on Tuesday. The Nats will simply assume that contract once the trade is completed. Gorzelanny, 28, posted a decent 4.09 ERA in 136 1/3 innings last season.
    Nats are sending Micheal Burgess, AJ Morris and Graham Hicks to the Cubs. All three are years away from making an impact.

Rookie ERA
    Good deal for the Cubs. Makes up for some of the damage done in the Garza deal. I've read Hicks has some good upside
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Nats Acquire Gorzelanny?

Burgess has raw skills from everything I've read. He's got power but has to work on plate discipline. I agree with you that they helped restock what they lost in the Garza deal making the Garza deal look better.