Thread: Call Up the Cuban

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nationals Call Up the Cuban

Nationals recalled RHP Yuneksy Maya from Triple-A Syrcause.
    Maya, a 29-year-old Cuban defector, signed a major league contract with the Nats in late July and has torn through the minor league ranks. He's a bit of an unknown with a decent amount of risk, but NL-only leaguers should definitely check him out. The righty will get the Mets in his debut Tuesday.
    I know he's no Strasburg but I am excited to see what the Nats did here. Maya joins another Cuban defector in Livan Harnandez and if Maya pans out, the Nats might start being a Cuban magnet. Maya has only started five games over three levels in the minors and has logged just 21 IP. He has given up 8 ER and has 10 BBs to 18 K's. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Nats got here for 4 yrs and $8 million. He is supposed to be taking Scott Olsen's spot in the rotation.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Call Up the Cuban

If you look past the mystique of forbidden talent from Cuba, the quality isn't much better than that from the D.R.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Call Up the Cuban

Yunesky Maya posted a 1.32 ERA over eight starts in the Dominican Winter League this offseason.
    Maya also had a .193 opponents’ batting average and a spectacular 42/9 K/BB ratio in 41 innings. He inked a four-year, $6 million contract with the Nationals in 2010 and went to post a lousy 5.88 ERA and 12/11 K/BB ratio over his first 26 big league innings. But the talent is there and he may find a way into the Opening Day rotation if all goes well during the spring.
    Hopefully this is encouraging news for Nats fans. I know I'm encouraged by the 42/9 K/BB.