Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tommy John for Strasburg

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Tommy John for Strasburg

It's crazy to think how long this could set him back, especially since he has yet to stretch out to a full 35+ start, one start every five days, type of a workload.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I would love see a study of how many pitchers need surgery being on a pitch limit as opposed to the past when guys were able to pitch 250+innings with ease. I bet we would all be surprised. Seems like kids arms just aren't getting the conditioning they need.

When he returns does everyone think he will have success like he had in his big strikeout games when he came up earlier this season?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If the Nationals don't rush him, sure, shouldn't be a problem for him physically. The question I have is the mental effect, him coming back into the big lights and expected to be as good if not better than he was. He will have ups and downs in his return as this is something pretty big to recover from.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Starsburg will be the same dominating pitcher. In no way do i see the Nats rushing such an investment like Stras and don't think he will allow himself to be rushed. He is such a smart and composed young man. He will have to change some mechanics which will be the hardest part for him in my opinion.

Rookie ERA

Being a fitness enthusiast, I can't stress enough the importance of the Nationals not rushing him back into action. Tommy John Surgery is one of the worst prosedures for any athlete to endure. You can't expect him to go under the knife and come out of it being the same pitcher he was before the injury. It doesn't work like that. Not to mention, after you have the first surgery it makes you all the more vonerable to injuring the same muscles.

With a cannon like he's got, he's in for a lot of injuries. This is just the first bump in the road.
    MIL Bucks
    Record: 0-0 (Offeseason)
    Conference Place: None
    MIL Brewers
    Record: 77-85
    NL Central Place: 3rd
    GB Packers
    Record: 3-1
    Division Place: Tied for 1st

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12