Thread: Guillen above All-Star snub

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nationals Guillen above All-Star snub

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

PHILADELPHIA -- Nationals outfielder Jose Guillen said he was not surprised that he did not make the National League All-Star team this year, but he said the snub reminded him how he was overlooked from the squad in 2003, when he was a member of the Reds. Teammate Aaron Boone received the invite to Chicago instead.
    At the break that year, Guillen was hitting .337 with 18 home runs and 49 RBIs, while his teammate was hitting .261 with 16 home runs and 56 RBIs.

"Two years ago, everybody congratulated me," Guillen said. "I had some of the best numbers on the team. They took the guy who hit around .260. I have a lot of respect for this game; I just don't think they treat people fairly."

Entering Saturday's action, Guillen was hitting .313 with 17 home runs and 49 RBIs for the Nationals. He said he wanted to be selected to the All-Star squad, but he understands that there are other outfielders in the National League who have better numbers and that every team must have a representative.

"Unfortunately, it happened again. Look at the numbers and tell me I don't deserve to be at the All-Star Game," Guillen said. "I have to keep battling and keep playing the way I'm playing. One day people are going to recognize that I'm the real deal."
    Guillen had the #'s to make the squad but hell you get a couple of more days off. He could have still been in the AL and never see the light of day....
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Guillen was snubbed big time. I would take him starting over both Edmonds and Beltran. With Beltran it's no question, the guy didn't deserve to go, he was just so under-rated that he is now over-rated. Not to mention Mets fans stuffed the ballots for one of their big offseason signings. And although Edmonds has a better OPS due to a better eye at the plate, we have to factor in that Guillen plays half of his games at RFK which we all know not to be the most friendliest of parks to batters.

As much as a I think the Nats will fall, Guillen deserved respect for helping to carry that team like he has. At least have the coaches recognize him. It's times like this where I do not like the rule about a player from each team going. The best players should go and the best players should start. Sadly, the fans don't usually it get it a 100% right. Anyone know what place Guillen finished among NL outfielders?

AA ERA
    Maybe he can use this as motivation as it seems he did with the end of last year.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Good to see he isn't whining like Red Sox players