Thread: Nats Already Talking Carl Crawford

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nationals Nats Already Talking Carl Crawford

There's strong organizational interest in Carl Crawford, who will be a free agent after the season and could fill some of the void at the top of the lineup. But the Yankees and Red Sox are believed to be interested in the Rays' left fielder, and the price tag could be over $70 million. It remains to be seen if the Nationals could make a serious run at a player like Crawford - or if they would commit big money over the next several years when they're likely to have Bryce Harper waiting to take over in right.

It seems more likely, though, that the Nationals would pursue Crawford than Jayson Werth, who could command $100 million in free agency and is deemed an injury risk.
    I like that the Nats are already talking about getting another star to bring to the mix. The Nats threw a lot of money at Teixeira and Crawford is the better all around player. They're mostly likely just going to offer Dunn arbitration and hope for the best. Dunn either comes back or they get two draft picks. The problem is convincing Crawford not to go to the Yankees or Red Sox. Crawford would still be on the East Coast in Washington and playing in the NL but his chances would be a lot less likely to win. The Nats will be good in a couple of years, just a matter if Crawford wants to wait or not.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Nats Already Talking Carl Crawford

"The Nats threw a lot of money at Teixeira and Crawford is the better all around player."

in what way? having more speed and... what else? teixeira has more power, is a gold glove defender as well, and has a higher obp. in his worst season since his rookie year, teixeira still has an ops 30 points better than crawfords best year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well you answered your own question about OPS, Teixeira has more power so naturally a higher OPS. Crawford plays a more demanding position than Teixeira. I find him to be better all around with that great mixture speed, defense power and average. Both are elite players. If you were a GM and had to pick between the two, who would you pick?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

id take teixeira. im not debating the merits of crawfords overall game... and infact i cant wait until the yankees sign him in the offseason... but id rather have gold glove defense at 1st base over left field... though thats debatable i suppose, id rather have 40 homers over 15-20, and id rather have a 380-400 obp over 335-360 obp. granted, crawfords 350 obp also merits an extra base 50-60 times a year, and a base runner like that, his value is unquestioned. but yea... teixeira's WORST year, is 30 points better in ops, than crawfords BEST year. it is, overall, comparing apples to oranges, and i was a bit drunker earlier so i just went purely on the numbers, but yea, id rather have teixeira.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Right on. Me personally would take Crawford over Teixeira. Harder to find someone with Crawford's skill set IMO.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If the Nationals kept Dunn AND signed Crawford, do they have enough to be a serious contender for the East next season (assuming the young pitching stays healthy, etc)?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Morghan, Crawford, Zimmerman, Dunn, Willingham, Desmond, Pudge and 2B? makes a formidable lineup. Strasburg and Jordan Zimmerman could make a good 1-2 punch with a healthy Marquis somewhere near the end of the rotation. Drew Storen closing things out could work and who knows, Wang might come around. They still have to fill that rotation but they could be near a .500 or better with Crawford and Dunn. Getting Bryce Harper signing is a top priority too.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Given Boras, I am having a really hard time seeing Harper signed with the Nationals. Not saying it won't happen, but every 'adventure' with Boras is like having your teeth ripped out via a shovel to the face.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

From every report I've read a deal will get done but it might not be before the deadline.