Thread: Nats Looking for a leadoff hitter

AAA ERA

Nats Looking for a leadoff hitter

Washington Nationals News

03/31/2005 6:57 PM ET
    Notes: Nationals in need of leadoff hitter
    Chavez demotion puts top of the order in flux
    By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

Nick Johnson had never hit leadoff until Thursday. (Doug Pensinger/Getty)
    Nationals Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT
    print this page | e-mail this page
    JUPITER, Fla. -- Two days ago, manager Frank Robinson said he would try anyone at the leadoff position. Robinson was true to his word on Thursday, inserting Nick Johnson at the top of the batting order. Johnson went 0-for-3 and drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
    Robinson selected Johnson because of his .372 career on-base percentage and the fact that he can steal a base on occasion.

The Nationals have been looking for a leadoff hitter since they demoted center fielder Endy Chavez to Triple-A New Orleans on Tuesday.

The Nationals tried shortstop Cristian Guzman at the top of the order for two games, but he went hitless in seven at-bats and didn't work the count.

"Johnson has a high on-base percentage, and he walks quite a bit," Robinson said. "He hits for a high average, and he gets on base. That's what you need from a leadoff hitter."

Robinson would not commit to Johnson being the Opening Day leadoff hitter, even if he was productive the rest of the exhibition season. Robinson did say that Johnson would be at the top of the lineup on Friday against the Devil Rays.

"I'm really not going to think about the Opening Day lineup until Sunday night after the ballgame (against the Mets)," Robinson said. "I'll see how everybody comes out of it, and I'll see who hits where, especially at the top."

Johnson said he was surprised to see his name at the top of the order. He had never hit leadoff until Thursday.

"I never hit (at the top of the lineup), but we are playing baseball, so I'm going to go out and have fun," Johnson said. "I'm not a speed burner. I'm going to try to get things going for the guys behind me. I try to do that wherever I'm hitting. If the runners are in scoring position, I'll try to drive them in."

The only other hitter capable of being a leadoff hitter is Brad Wilkerson., but Robinson said putting Wilkerson at leadoff is the last resort. He would like to see Wilkerson drive in runs.

Injury report: Outfielder Terrmel Sledge left Thursday's game after five innings because of a strained left calf. He said he felt pain in the second inning while chasing a fly ball.

Sledge insisted that he would not go on the disabled list.

"It's just precautionary. Other than that, I'll be ready for the season," Sledge said.

News and features:
    • Nationals notes: Looking for a leadoff hitter
    • Cordero earns Nationals' closer job
    • Marlins breeze to win over Nationals

Multimedia:
    • Nationals writer Bill Ladson
    • Siegle discusses the spring
    • Hammonds: good vibes in clubhouse

Info: Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets
    MLB.com's complete coverage

Back in action: Third baseman Vinny Castilla played against the Marlins on Thursday afternoon and went 0-for-3 against right-hander Josh Beckett.

It was Castilla's first game since March 18, when he hyperextended his left knee against the Mets.

Castilla said the knee is a little sore, but he is ready for Opening Day.

"I feel good," Castilla said. "Beckett is a great pitcher and he wasn't fooling me with his changeup. I stayed back on it. It's a good sign."

Nice outing: Right-hander John Patterson had his best outing of the spring Thursday, going six innings and giving up three runs against the Marlins. All the runs were scored on home runs by Damian Easley and Juan Encarnacion. Patterson struck out four batters and walked one.

Coming up: The Nationals play their final exhibition home game on Friday afternoon against the Devil Rays. Right-hander Zach Day will start for Washington, while left-hander Mark Hendrickson will get the nod for Tampa Bay.

Day's last appearance was on March 21 against the Marlins, when he pitched five shutout innings in a 1-0 win. He has been affected by rainouts and has pitched in an intrasqaud minor league game.

MLB ERA
    Last I heard, they were interested in Wilson Betemit.

That could just be yesterday's news, though.

Rookie ERA
    If they were smart, they would go for Cameron. He has defense, speed, and a good bat. The Mets are not really going to ask for more than the Nats are willing to give. Maybe a SP spec or a decent SP spec and a more than decent RP. I think that would be a smart trade for both teams. Also, why cant Sledge or Vidro lead off?

AAA ERA
    yea cameron would be a ncie guy for the job.

MLB ERA
    Sadly, their best bet to bat someone leadoff would be Brad Wilkerson. He can... sorta steal, and he has a high OBP, so he'd be pretty good for it, and if they put him up there and load up behind him with Sledge, Vidro, Guillen, Johnson, and Castilla, they'd probably end up with one of their better offenses of the past few years. A trade would really be horrible, as their farm is depleted enough as is, and they really can't afford to be taking on a player like Mike Cameron when they have little hope of success in the near future... their best projection is to finish 4th in the NL East, and that'd be a damned miracle.

The fact that they're planning on trying Cristian Guzman there is sad. It looks like Wilkerson will begin as leadoff and see what happens from there, though, so I'm glad.

AAA ERA
    sledge would be good leadoff wouldnt he?

MLB ERA
    Sledge doesn't get on base enough to leadoff.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    their best projection is to finish 4th in the NL East, and that'd be a damned miracle.
    How can you even say that they will finish 4th? Two out of the Mets,Marlins, and Braves are going to win the division and then the other win the WC. Phillies are not a bad team at all neither, so Nationals will insih last, NO DOUBT!

MLB ERA
    I didn't say they would finish 4th.

Their best possible projection is forth, and if they even reach that, it'd be a miraculous event.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry, Charlie Manuel will do everything he can to keep the Nationals out of last...

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I can see the Nationals finishing 4th...I think the Phillies are a little bit overrated, and Washington's got some fiesty young guys. Plus they seem to hang around every year until at least midseason.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.