Thread: Nats Sign Beimel

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nationals Nats Sign Beimel

Nationals signed LHP Joe Beimel, who had been with the Dodgers, to a one-year contract.
    The Washington Post says Beimel will get $2 million. It's a very good fit, as the Nats were preparing to go without a lefty reliever with Mike Hinckley struggling this spring. Hinckley will definitely head to Triple-A now. This leaves Will Ohman as the lone remaining reliable left-handed reliever available.
    Very good pickup for the Nats who definitely needed the help. I was hoping my Giants would pick him up but sadly they did not. Beimel inherited 60 runners last year and only 20 scored.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Nats Sign Beimel

Is Beimel as good as ERA would lead you to believe? No. But he is a guy who seems to minimize whatever damage an average pitcher would allow with the very non-exciting stats he posts that would indicate his stuff. His control against righties seem to be where he can run into a bit of trouble, if the Nats use him selectively this should be a fantastic pickup for them.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

33% of inherited runners scored on him, which affected the ERA of the pitchers that he replaced instead of his own ERA. That said, it wasn't a bad idea to re-sign him since Elbert isn't ready for the major leagues.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That 33% was among the league best given the amount of chances he had. Only Dennys Reyes, Pedro Feliciano and Joe Smith did better. 60 runners inherited and only 20 scoring isn't that bad. His BAA against lefties has to improve but this is a good signing. The Dodgers should have re-signed him but a lot of other teams could have used him as well.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You're right. Beimel should have been re-signed. I can't believe they're going to go with Shawn "I ****ing suck" Estes as the lefty reliever.