Thread: Washington Nationals GM Jim Bowden resigns (finally)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

News Washington Nationals GM Jim Bowden resigns (finally)

VIERA, Fla. -- Jim Bowden resigned Sunday after four seasons as the Washington Nationals general manager, leaving under the cloud of a federal investigation into the skimming of signing bonuses given to Latin American prospects.

He has maintained his innocence in the matter, but said Sunday, "I've become a distraction."

"It's an emotional decision. It saddens me. But I feel it's in the best interest of two of the things I love the most, and that's the Washington Nationals and baseball," Bowden added.

Seated at a table with Nationals president Stan Kasten before a small contingent of reporters and team officials, Bowden read from a prepared statement, sometimes deviating from the script as he struggled to contain his emotions.

"My resignation is based upon my realization that my ability to properly represent the Washington Nationals has been compromised because of false allegations contained in the press," Bowden said in a statement. "I am disappointed by the media reports regarding investigations into any of my professional activities. There have been no charges made, and there has been no indication that parties have found any wrongdoing on my part.

"At the same time, while I have done nothing wrong, I place a greater value on the love, respect and best interests of my family, friends, the game of baseball -- that I've served lovingly and faithfully for close to 25 years -- and, the reputation and future of the Washington Nationals, which I'm proud to have been a part of since its inception in 2004."

No replacement was immediately announced.

"We're not planning on missing a beat," Kasten said. "Our staff has a meeting tomorrow morning, first thing. I'm not going to have anything to say to you about next steps for a while -- later in the week."

Bowden is the only GM the Nationals have had since the franchise moved from Montreal to Washington before the 2005 season, overseeing a team that went 81-81 in that debut season but has been below .500 ever since.

Last season, the Nationals were a majors-worst 59-102.
    Click here to read the rest.

Somewhere, McKain is smiling or more realistically giddy with excitement that the dark ages have ended. Bowden left his mark on both Cincinnati and Washington, neither marks were pretty.

Oh, and project codenamed Cincinnati East is over and I imagine many former Reds will get the axe soon (players and personnel.)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Washington Nationals GM Jim Bowden resigns (finally)

I don't think the Dark Ages are over yet. They have a long way to go before they're competitive.

MLB ERA

If the Reds FO has soured on Homer what about maybe as the first deal post Bowden is to send us Lastings Milledge for Homer and start rebuilding from a strength to a weakness?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I don't think the Dark Ages are over yet. They have a long way to go before they're competitive.
    Bright times have not yet begun, but Bowden took a team that was bad and made them worse. There is not too much hope in the farm and given his corruption, more of the front office could be tainted. He was blinded either by favortism or seeking revenge against the Reds and signed anyone even remotely connected to Cincinnati. Getting him out from his post and even just an average GM in Washington will bring better days for the Nationals.

Whoever comes in will require many years to right the ship.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If the Reds FO has soured on Homer what about maybe as the first deal post Bowden is to send us Lastings Milledge for Homer and start rebuilding from a strength to a weakness?
    At 22, I don't think the Reds have soured on Bailey. I think if anything they want to give the 5th spot to either Owings or Masset, let Bailey continue to refine his three pitch arsenal, and then trade Arroyo at some point for help with the lineup and bring Bailey up. The thought of having four good-great ceiling guys (Volquez, Cueto, Owings, Bailey) and a true ace, if Harang returns to form, have to give Jocketty salivating inducing moments when thinking of a long-term contender.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This is a great day for baseball!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bowden has to be done. His 'used car salesman' reputation is pretty much unquestioned at this point and his eye for talent is nothing worth mentioning. I'd be surprised if he gets a serious position, like GM or assistant GM, again.