Thread: Patterson Released

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Patterson Released

Nationals released RHP John Patterson.
    Stunning. Obviously the Nationals shared the same concerns about Patterson's lack of velocity that we did, but he still looked like their probable Opening Day starter and they'll only save about $600,000 by cutting him. They're left with a rotation of Shawn Hill, Jason Bergmann, Tim Redding, Odalis Perez and either Matt Chico or John Lannan. They'll probably need both young lefties initially with Hill likely to open up on the DL.
    I knew it was bad but not this bad. Patterson has such a great year in 2005 and looked like a future staple in that Nats rotation until injuries killed him. No doubt a team will take a chance on him. Rays, Pirates, Cards, O's and Rangers are likely targets.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Patterson Released

If you can't make the Nationals pitching staff... then there has to be huge red flags. Maybe the Reds can sign him, release him and then Bowden would be 10x more attracted to Patterson's potential and bring him back in.... thus saving me from doing a new Nationals banner.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I see a Cristian Guzman/Chad Cordero banner coming

MLB ERA

This is a bit of a puzzler. Patterson has pretty good stuff and just needs to get his mechanics straightened out to contribute at the major league level. Perhaps he has gone the way of Kerry Wood?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kerry Wood could still throw hard.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros are interested in John Patterson.

Several teams figure to make a run at Patterson after he was surprisingly released by the Nationals, but the Astros are seemingly a good fit. "We'll take a look at it and see if anything makes sense," general manager Ed Wade said. "We'll look at the possibility of doing something."
    Hell yes this is a good fit! The Astros need all the pitching they can get. Patterson and Horacio Ramirez should be close on their radar.

MLB ERA

This is not a bad thought, IMO. Patterson could actually help the Astros this season if they use him properly.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rangers are close to signing John Patterson.
    The Rangers' rotation is set, but they like Patterson as a low-risk option in case of an injury. If Patterson signs with the Rangers, he will start the season at Triple-A Oklahoma.
    I don't know how the Astros feel about him but I would want to go there over Texas. I think he would have a better chance of making the rotation in Houston. He is a Texas guy so either would do him well.