Thread: Nats To Take Chance On Andruw?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nats To Take Chance On Andruw?

The Washington Nationals may be one of the few teams willing to give Andruw Jones more than a one-year deal.

The Boston Globe reported the Nationals wanted Torii Hunter or Jones. Hunter's price became prohibitive, and Jones has a connection with Nationals CEO/president Stan Kasten from Atlanta.

Jones still has to compete with Aaron Rowand, who could be in line to return to Philadelphia now that the Phillies were rejected on Lowell.
    The Nats need to do something but don't think Jones is it. He is declining and will cost them a lot of dough. Sure he would be an upgrade over Church and Logan but so would a lot of players that wouldn't cost them $18 mil/yr. Jones, Pena and Kearns would make for a more offensive OF to go along with Zimmerman and Young in the lineup. I just rather see the Nats spend their money more wisely I guess but bad teams need big names.

MLB ERA

Re: Nats To Take Chance On Andruw?

Jones still has alot of talent even though he had a down year this past year. But I think Rowand would be a better fit for the Nats. He would cost alot less money and plus he has alot more years left on him then Jones.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

Signing Andruw would infuriate me, but I'd at least understand it. They want a big name draw in the new stadium, they want to fill the centerfield spot.

But god dammit don't ****ing touch Andruw he's not worth the price he's going to pay.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

McKain, I wanted to know who you thought would play SS next season? Is there a young prospect or will they make a trade?

MLB ERA

Should be Felipe Lopez at short and Ronnie Belliard at second for most of the year.

All of the Nats middle infield prospects are pretty low in the minors, I think nobody's above hi-A at this point.

MLB ERA

I dont think Andruw is declining, yes he had a bad year at the plate and so does everyone, I'm sure he will bounce back next year, and his gold glove D will always be there.

MLB ERA

But do the Nationals, with guys like Justin Maxwell and Michael Burgess a few years away, need to sink all of that payroll into one player?
    Someone like Coco Crisp might do just as well and he could be obtained relatively easily from the Red Sox. He wouldn't command a long-term deal like Jones would.
    Besides, if the Twins and Yankees make the move that is on the table right now, Jones will likely sign with the Yankees for 6 years/$120M.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think the Milledge trade kills all talks with Jones.