Thread: Nationals sign the amazing Ronnie Belliard

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Nationals sign the amazing Ronnie Belliard

VIERA, Fla. -- Second baseman Ronnie Belliard agreed to a non-guaranteed, minor league contract with the Washington Nationals on Sunday that will pay him $750,000 if he makes the team.

"We feel it gives us protection in the middle of the diamond going into spring training, plus a good right-handed bat off the bench, which is something this club needed," general manager Jim Bowden said. "It gives us protection in the middle, flexibility in the middle, depth."

The 31-year-old Belliard helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, starting 14 of 16 postseason games.

The Cardinals acquired him from the Cleveland Indians on July 30; he hit a combined .272 with 30 doubles, 13 homers and 67 RBIs with the two teams in 2006.

He provides some insurance for the Nationals, who are shifting Felipe Lopez from shortstop to second base and hoping Cristian Guzman can make a successful comeback after missing all of last season because of right shoulder surgery.

"If [Guzman] doesn't bounce back, we have the flexibility that Felipe could go back to shortstop and Ronnie could play second," Bowden said.

The GM also said he looks at Belliard as the type of player who could bring something in return at the trading deadline.

In parts of nine seasons with four major league clubs, Belliard has hit for a .272 average, with 80 homers and 439 RBIs.

The Nationals also announced that director of player development Andy Dunn resigned. Assistant general manager Bob Boone and other members of the baseball operations staff will take over Dunn's duties for the time being.
    Belliard for MVP
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    This is a good signing but he'll never win a starting job and push Guzman to the bench like he should, so he'll just end up being a nice sub at second and third.

MLB ERA
    Is Guzman really still a starter?

*shudders*

MLB ERA
    He's the leading (truthfully, only) candidate to win the shortstop job. The other options involve moving FeLo to short and throwing someone in at second. Manny Acta also thinks he's capable of batting 2nd.

It's a fun year.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    He's the leading (truthfully, only) candidate to win the shortstop job. The other options involve moving FeLo to short and throwing someone in at second. Manny Acta also thinks he's capable of batting 2nd.

It's a fun year.
    Moving FeLo to short...isn't he a shortstop already?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

The only reason I can see that this signing is going to work for either side is for the following reason:

Trade bait at the deadline!!!!!

MLB ERA
    The trade of Vidro moved FeLo to second base, and thus puts a hole at short... to put Cristian Guzman, the only real shortstop the team has, there.

I think that Belliard should start for you guys. He is a gritty player that brings a sence of gritt to the team. He gives a bit of hope the way that he plays. No offense, but you guys could use some grit and you could REALLY use some hope.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

Rookie ERA
    Belliard >>> Guzman. There is no reason why Cristian should start the season especially he did not contribute much when he last played. Belliard, on the other hand, has done his job well enough.

BTW, why non-guaranteed?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I think Belliard has improved, but he can't play short. Or is your idea to move Lopez there and Belliard at 2B? Either way, I am glad Belliard is not a Brewer anymore

MLB ERA
    Lopez to short and Belliard to second is what would be the best plan.

The deal's non-guaranteed in the event Belliard stinks it up in spring training and they have no reaosn to keep him, I guess.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Sounds good to me with that plan that is. I hope Belliard is NOT thinking that he is going to hit huge amounts of HR's in that park.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Belliard has pop and better defense than Guzman. McKain is right about Belliard at second and Lopez at SS. It will provide more offense and defense.