Thread: New manager big on Logan; McKain less big on new manager

MLB ERA

New manager big on Logan; McKain less big on new manager

Logan's fast and a decent defender. He has no power, no eye, and his contact skills vary heavily.

So why is he being given the advantage in the starting centerfield job when he's not worthy?

Here's my suggestion:
    Right field - Austin Kearns, the only guarantee
    Center field - platoon Nook Logan and Ryan Church. Church mashes righties and Logan is solid enough versus lefties to stay in there.
    Left field - Alex Escobar's job to keep assuming he can stay healthy, his only flaw.

It's not a great outfield by any means, it's not even really good, but it's probably the best choice out there short of eliminating Logan entirely and bringing in Casto to be the primary left fielder with Escobar splitting time at left and center.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Right field - Austin Kearns, the only guarantee
    It's like rubbing salt in my wounds just to see.

Anywho, I would agree with you on the configuration for the outfield in terms of what would be most advantageous while still satisfying Acta's appreciation for Logan. Obviously I have an idea by your amusing thread title, but what's your take on this guy? I am clueless other than the fact of where he came from and his general history, but what does his school of thought seem to be so far?

MLB ERA
    Acta's got such a solid history in coaching (and managing winter ball and such) that his school of thought so far doesn't matter to me. I need to see some on-field product and some decision making before I can say how much I care about that. Not to mention, he's said very little so far.

But it seems like he's got a few things going for him.
    1) He accepts the youth movement; see his Nook Logan appreciation. Escobar's 28, I think Church is too, Restovich (free agent signing from the Cubs farm) is around there, so Logan being the one youthful person out of the unprovens there is the obvious one he should like.
    Further supporting this, when asked about the Soriano situation, he said:
    "I think my presence will help, but I think we all know it might take more than my presence here to bring Alfonso. We would like to have him. It's going to be interesting. But if we don't get Fonzie, we are going to get two draft picks and they will be helpful for our farm system. We are going to have to move on."
    So he likes the idea of not throwing 20 mil into Soriano and instead building the farm.
    2) It looks like he's planning on putting Cristian Guzman into a utility infielder role, replacing Lopez and Vidro at short and second in late innings or whatever. Big positive.

So far all I can gather is that he's a youth guy and not much else. Since he himself is a young guy, and his signing was a signature of "building for tomorrow," I like that he accepts that point.

I think they got the best guy they could, since Girardi isn't managing this year.