Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The painful truth: Trade Soriano

MLB ERA
    Realistically, Soriano is an above average defender in the outfield at this moment in time. He still tends to take poor routes to plenty of balls, makes small mistakes where he should have no business doing so, just the minor things that you learn from being a full-time outfielder. I'm sure he'll eventually develop into a good defensive outfielder, but right now he's just having too many mental errors to be classified as "very good." He's definitely got all the tools to do it, though.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz
    One of the local news broadcasters here in the Maryland/DC/VA area, has already mentioned that Soriano is one of the leaders in putouts from the OF. His strong arm is an asset in the outfield, and his speed allows for him to cover plenty of ground (as well as cover up any mistakes.) As an outfielder, he is very good defensively.
    WTF??????????????????Than why does he have 6 errors already this season

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He leads in assist because teams are running on him because they know its his first year and he's not very good. Manny Ramirez lead the AL in assists but that doesn't make him a great LFer which we all know he isn't. He has one of the worst fielding % in the NL (.957). He will get better but he is far from being a good defender in left field and a complete 5 tool player!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giants666
    WTF??????????????????Than why does he have 6 errors already this season
    Because its his first year playing the OF, and he's doing it begrudgingly? Perhaps I should change that to his speed covering up many mistakes, because that was a typo. Sure, he has 6 errors, but his speed covers up some of his rookie mistakes, for the most part, his inexperience in the OF. Lets not forget, he is among the leaders in putouts from the OF. As McKain said, and as I was trying to say, with time, he will be a good defensive outfielder. He really isn't a liability out there to anyone now, either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Hell Adam dunn and Matt Murton are also among the leaders in POs which really doesn't tell you anything about theri defense. Does this mean Dunn is a good OFer? Point is he is not a 5 tool player right now! Can't call him one based on potential!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't Peter Bergeron in the top 5 for outfield assists one season years ago for Montreal? The assists can be pretty misleading. It's like saying a basketball player has good defense because he averages 2 steals a game.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Peter Bergeron was pretty good defensively, though. Covered tons of ground because he had great speed, had a solid arm, and was a cleancut white blonde guy (name me one of these who hasn't succeed in center field and I will bow to your godliness).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jason Tyner with Tampa?
    Or Tyner period
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Tyner's not blonde, is he?

... also, he was pretty good in center. Left and right, eh, but center, good.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't go all GQ on players. And I was guessing, cause honestly, I've never seen Tyner to tell you if he was even white. (I always get fooled, thought Nate McLouth was black, yet he's a surfer-blonde whitey.. go figure)
    Ted

MLB ERA
    I'm pretty sure Tyner is white though there *may* be a bit of ethnicity in him.

Nate Mclouth, that dude is great in center.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He reminds me of Willie "Mays" Hayes, thinks he's got power and.. doesn't.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Hell Adam dunn and Matt Murton are also among the leaders in POs which really doesn't tell you anything about theri defense. Does this mean Dunn is a good OFer? Point is he is not a 5 tool player right now! Can't call him one based on potential!
    Yet neither of them have the speed, or range, in the outfield that Soriano does. Check his old scouting reports, and I remember some of them. Great arm, which is wasted at second. Poor first step, which leads to poor range at second. With his speed and arm, he is a perfect fit for the outfield. Rough around the edges, because he's only played there for about three months, but he's much better than those other two you mentioned.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I was just showing you that POs don't mean anything when trying to prove a guy is good at defense. He is still not very good defensively is the whole point and you even said so. Poor first step equals a bad reaction time in the OF which has been obvious so far. Again, pretty good defense does not qualify for any of the five tools! He will get better!

AA ERA
    A handful of people close to Alfonso Soriano say he'll flat-out refuse to come back, if Jim Bowden still is GM. The Nationals can't wait until the winter to negotiate with Soriano. They can't take the chance he'll wind up signing elsewhere and leave them with nothing in return, aside from a compensatory draft pick. -- Washington Times

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast