Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Start the league on 2009 opening day or 2009 end of season?

AAA ERA

Re: Start the league on 2009 opening day or 2009 end of season?

Respect your opinion, of course. But greatly disagree.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

If you mean in how the league is run, then sure...but if you mean for it to be the same thing, then no thanks. I'm pretty sure Nick is more interested in running something new and different as he has stated that before. Ultimately, he'll run it however he wants despite what I or anyone else thinks he should do (I'm not saying he doesn't consider other ideas, just that you can please everyone in a sense).

If this is going to be a copy of any other league that was on here, then I don't really see the point. It's nothing against any other league. It's just that we've done the carbon copy thing here before and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in that based on participation levels. I thought the point was to introduce something new and to try to get some new people here (for the league and the board).

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

I think having the trades put in at the start of the season would be cool. Though that probably doesnt affect my record at all. Last place was kinda the goal anyways...
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Can we veto deals done, I dont want Rolen and for whatever moronic reason the Reds thought he for our best SP prospect and a live arm was a good idea.
    I can't agree with this, because they passed in real life, they have to do the same in the sim league. It's a good chance the prospects involved in all of the real life trades, are not as good as you might think. Or maybe not, I've personally never looked at rosters for OOTP 10. But, what was done was done, and you still have Yonder Alonso plus the young SPs, etc.

But it would be just headaches to vote on all of the deals, cause the Rolen one is not the only deal I think we as a council would veto if we took it serious.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I'm with General, put the big deals in and sim it out to get it started sooner, granted this is biased cause I'm looking forward to having a Cliff Lee- Hamels rotation
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    I can't agree with this, because they passed in real life, they have to do the same in the sim league. It's a good chance the prospects involved in all of the real life trades, are not as good as you might think. Or maybe not, I've personally never looked at rosters for OOTP 10. But, what was done was done, and you still have Yonder Alonso plus the young SPs, etc.

But it would be just headaches to vote on all of the deals, cause the Rolen one is not the only deal I think we as a council would veto if we took it serious.
    Rolen's scheduled to make 11 mil next year for a guy whos prone and had very little power left. If Nick wants to do it thats fine but Im looking at him and Tavares as schoff that Im going to give away for whatever.'

If it werent for that I'd probably not care either way.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Want a moustache ride? BrewerBall13's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I'm with General, put the big deals in and sim it out to get it started sooner, granted this is biased cause I'm looking forward to having a Cliff Lee- Hamels rotation
    I'd be on-board with this as a good compromise

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

How long is his contract Slyder?

Something to consider, with contracts, they are life like on the game in terms of details such as players or teams can opt out of deals if those options were in place, same for incentives in achieving awards or innings pitched, and other things that make it interesting. So, if you have a bad year, Rolen very well could opt out to become a FA at the end of the season.

Just something to consider
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Another year and an option think. Sometimes those get "exercised" at the start and youre pretty much stuck (Jim Thome comes to mind).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Lots of stuff to shift through here.... I'll look through it all more and give some responses little later, and return any pms at the same time...

I will I'm with KOZ though, if I'm going to run an OOTP10 league I'd prefer it to be a current-based sim. As for realistic sliders and settings, I'm assuming the egine produces good stats out of the box. I don't know what I'd even have to change or edit in the sliders or how they work, so I don't plan on touching them unless someone gives me a specific set or something to input. Whereas with OOTP6.5 sliders just aren't as easy to perfect. That game came out in the steroid era, and guys like Randy Johnson and Schilling were generating tons of strikeouts each yr. The engine in 6.5 is much harder to work with to attain a realistic sim based on that stuff alone, strikeouts always seemed to be off, no matter what type of roster set or setting I input, and the power numbers were higher than they currently are in real life.... as for the pitching stats being skewed, whether it be wins/losses/era/whip or innings and strikeouts, it was ESPECAILLY hard to regulate when people would run 4-man staffs (admittedly the TPSL pitcher duration is on very low or low, and the bullpen use is "fairly often" or "high" or something like that, and I've had it like that for almost every season... but I can't discourage teams outright or say no to people who want to use a full-time 4-man as it does work in 6.5 leagues and people were doing that shit in S3SL from the beginning anyway).

OOTP10 is going to allow us to run a very realistic league if we take advantage of it. I just want everyone to be aware that this isn't a setup like 6.5, and while if people really want me to, I'm sure I can tinker with the in-game ratings and make everything on a 1-10 scale like we use in 6.5 leagues. Personally, I'd find that boring and cookie-cutter, the whole point of starting over in 10 is to try something new and reinvigorate interest in the league (and it seemingly has worked-- whatever the reason may be, it's evident TPSL was stuttering and this board has had more hits in the past week or since the idea of a 10 league came out than it did for the previous month before). But if you guys want to use similar rating indicators to the 6.5 format, it's probably possible. It is a different type of rating system though, so it may just be 1-10 with entirely different meanings (i.e. a 5 contact might be good, I dunno how it would work on a 1-10 scale, I don't use those right now).

The point of this league is to try something new. A historical league would be cool and I would enjoy being a part of one, but I'm not the type of person who should be running that sort of thing. I feel like I have a vast knowledge of baseball post-1985 basically. Before that point, outside of the main things that every baseball fan knows and stories from my father and shit, I don't have a lot of knowledge of eras that came before the modern age of baseball...

I guess my issue is, if I'm going to be updating the rosters, I want to do it the right way. I know people want to start and jump into everything, and if we contracted or half-assed rosters it probably would be a quicker process. But if I'm going to enter and update things, I'd like to do it the right way. Rushing leagues ruins leagues, that's just the way it is really. I could have a slacker roster up in a day or two, but admittedly I wouldn't be happy with it and after watching the debacle on the TBSL board over rosters (I'm not bringing this up to be a prick or gloat or anything like that, I'm just using it as an example because it's true), I don't want to rush into this. If we don't start as the game comes, with minor edits, I'd rather just update them and take my time on things because in the longrun the league would run and function 100x better if that happens. Though Hafdawgs point about tearing things apart is true-- any league you're in, teams are going to trade, and trade a lot early. That's why I suggested we just began with the default rosters, but I see the issues in that too.

I just don't like half-assing things. If I'm going to enter Victor Martinez and other big trades, I wanna make sure Ryan Freel is traded to the Cubs & released too. I don't want to miss 50 little things if it means fixing 5-10 big things... I'd rather take my time and do it right, or just run with what we have at default. It might be partly my OCD, but I know that if we half-ass things now the league won't last very long at all.

I still would like to get a temporary site up, just to give you guys something to look at and get used to in terms of ratings and stuff. It would give everyone a look at how the layout works. Even if the rosters I'd be putting up aren't current or what we'll be using, I will see about getting a site up for you guys to check out. Just to get a feel and stuff.

I didn't read this thoroughly, but if there were any individual comments or questions I'll check back on it later tonight when I sim the other league.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Another year and an option think. Sometimes those get "exercised" at the start and youre pretty much stuck (Jim Thome comes to mind).
    not going over the whole discussion here at hand, but in ootp10 there are player options and his is in the game to my knowledge. if it's a team or mutual option, yuo'll have the option of declining it, or maybe buying it out once the time comes in game. i'm not sure how it works in 10, but it was like this in 9 with options...

and with the thome thing, if i edit rosters ill go over them to make sure there arent dinosaurs locked into 90 million deals for 6 more years if they dont justify being dinosaurs (i.e. thome in the other leagues.. always a dud, even when he would've been good in real life at those times)

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    If you mean in how the league is run, then sure...but if you mean for it to be the same thing, then no thanks. I'm pretty sure Nick is more interested in running something new and different as he has stated that before. Ultimately, he'll run it however he wants despite what I or anyone else thinks he should do (I'm not saying he doesn't consider other ideas, just that you can please everyone in a sense).

If this is going to be a copy of any other league that was on here, then I don't really see the point. It's nothing against any other league. It's just that we've done the carbon copy thing here before and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in that based on participation levels. I thought the point was to introduce something new and to try to get some new people here (for the league and the board).
    Aye, S3SL has always been a fun league to be a part of and mission has always ran it smoothly, but at this point the league is its own entity in the fact that it's 100% fictional, and the settings have been tweaked over time. If I'm going to run an MLB-based sim, the current S3SL format wouldn't be what I was aiming for anyway. S3SL in its early days replicated stats very well when reflected upon or compared to real life. As for the later yrs, 2015 and beyond and all of that, who can even say since we're not even there in real life. That goes for TPSL as well really. And the fact that people have ran 4-man rotos in both leagues, there have always been particular yrs where stats are off from some players more so than others (i.e. a stud 10end pitcher in a 4-man who can throw 300 innings and make 40 starts). But the OOTP10 layout and engine is 100% different from OOTP6.5, so even if things play out similarly to how they did in the early stages of S3SL, everything won't look the same.

I really am going to try to get a temporary site up real soon, I promise. I think this will really help with some of the confusion and give everyone a picture of how it'll look.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123