Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Start the league on 2009 opening day or 2009 end of season?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Start the league on 2009 opening day or 2009 end of season?

I'm indifferent really, because I have a team that made no real moves during the season (Hairston Jr, Gaudin, not quite blockbusters) so if we start at the beginning of 2009.. fine. If we start at the end, also fine by me. But not everyone will be indifferent, some people may have chosen teams based off what a team in reality has done. Maybe not, maybe it won't be an issue. We don't even have a cardinals GM, and the phillies won a world series without Cliff lee, and General will probably be happy to have Kazmir again.

But I don't know, I can't really weigh in on either, if rosters and ratings look fine, that's about all I really care about. As long as the ammy draft will be fun, if we start at the beginning of 2009, cause that was a nice draft class. Past that, I remain neutral.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

As for trimming down a league or whatever, I'm just worried that we would lose some of the core of GMs due to too much talent per team? And would we all be able to agree on reformatting the divisions?

What's amusing is, most of the cuts are going to come from the NL Central and NL West. As a result, yes divisions will have to be broken up and I think the appeal for some of us is that.. look at the current divisions: the NL East, AL West, AL East and now the AL Central are stacked in experience and not only experience, but GMs who have dominated and won championships in the other leagues. Granted, we'll have almost an elite faction if we cut down so it doesn't matter so much BUT.. here is a problem to consider:

The AL is almost full, so if we cut teams, some in the AL will have to go to the NL to even out things. Several of us have posted and made it known they wanted in the AL because of the DH. I'm one of those. So you'll run into the issue of who's getting the short straw and migrating to the AL.
    Ted

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Regarding the DH issue, I have always felt that in OOTP, having a pitcher with 3 contact hit is the most unrealistic and stupid aspect of the game. I think it is one area that the developers missed. I would make the entire league use the DH.

Regarding the teams that would get contracted... I agree it would require some juggling. I think we could work it out though.

MLB ERA

Whatever is the consensus, I'm fine with.. it's all a game
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

After posting and browsing a little at OOTP. The only answer I can come up with regarding the importing of real players... is to start the league under Historical League and pick a start date. It appears the game comes with real life draft classes from 1901 to present!

KoZ and I are in a 1951 league. So far... the ratings seem a little low, but it is exciting. I just drafted Eddie Mathews!

Nick, this may be something to consider.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think I'd prefer a modern league, since S3SL is completely fictitious and on 6.5, a departure from that would be great to have, I think. It's not like we're starting right now, nick would have months to fix rosters, he'll do a fine job unlike some.

As for the ratings in that league, it's got to be because it's a 1951 league, therefore everything seemingly skewed. And statistics back then were different, emphasis on starters logging a lot of innings, not many guys capable of hitting 50 homeruns, etc. I'd still rather have a modern league, I've never ran the yankees, I wouldn't have much interest in them if we did some historical league. Even though they have a rich history, it was before my time, I don't care as much game-wise.
    Ted

Start at beginning of 09. Put the major trades in, but start at the beginning.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA

I'm for beginning 09. The sooner the better, and I don't care about real-time roster accuracy when we're just going to tear them apart anyways...

AAA ERA

As for the league style, etc... I'm for as "real" as possible. Pro-AL DH, pro-NL pitcher batting. Also I'm for as close to S3SL rating settings as possible. TPSL ratings definitely perform different than S3SL. I love the S3SL settings, etc.

Although I'd keep the duration such down, it's not as important to have as good of a bullpen in S3SL now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I like General's idea, that's not bad. Not realistic but then again, nothing is perfect.

Ratings you are used to on S3SL and TPSL, are just...different, on new OOTPs. A 7-7-8 pitcher is different on the new games, for example. On top of that, the rating system for defense is more complex and there's even ratings for the pitches each pitcher throws.
    Ted

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, playing around with 9, I have noticed that the ratings are a lot different when compared to the games of 6.5. But I am sure Nick could work hard to get something similar, but I think it would be hard.

I like Gen's idea. Make the major moves, that way you have a chance of resigning that player if you so desire.

MLB ERA

Can we veto deals done, I dont want Rolen and for whatever moronic reason the Reds thought he for our best SP prospect and a live arm was a good idea.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

For simplicity's sake and realizing that at some point we just need to commit and get moving....

I cast a third or fourth vote backing General's suggestion of putting in the major trades and just doing it!!!

General can come up with good idea once in a while.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't see the point in trying to make the league like S3SL or anything. S3SL already exists. This should be different. Carbon copies or leagues that are too similar are pointless IMHO.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 09-23-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I don't see the point in trying to make the league like S3SL or anything. S3SL already exists. This should be different. Carbon copies or too similar is pointless IMHO.
    Agreed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast