• low range, high fielding %

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred method of defense?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Preferred method of defense?

Inspired by another league,

Let's say you have a 2B or 3B or SS who has 10 range and a pretty good arm, but has a mediocre fielding percentage (let's say .940-.960 range).

Let's also say at the very same position, you have a guy who has 3-4 range and average arm, but a high fielding percentage (let's say .985 or higher).

Assume each infielder has the exact same ratings for hitting. Which one do you start at whatever position you're imagining (has to be the same for both, can't start both, only one)

This in a way applies to real life. Do you want an average athlete, who's borderline statue but doesn't make as many errors or do you want a guy with great range, a cannon arm, but is prone to a lot of errors.

Choose, and don't let Kanye interrupt your vote.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Preferred method of defense?

Before I can answer, I don't even know how range is recalculated in the fielding stats. I could have a 3B listed with 10 range, but his fielding stats has it at 2.30

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

OM Statistics 001: (I am not worthy of 101 LOL)

Step 1: map out a grid at SS that is 10x wide

Step 2: a batter hits 10 shots... 1 up each section of the grid

Step 3: Player 1 gets to all 10 because he has 10 range, however, he bobbles 3 out of 10, specifically the farthest section of the grid on each side and one of the second farthest sections in the grid.

Step 4: Player 2 gets to 4 of the ten balls because he has 4 range and bobbles 1 (or even a 1/2 if you enlarge the sample)

Rough conclusion: Range trumps fielding percentage unless the range is within one or two points and then you have to factor in the difference in fielding percentage to really say who will statistically serve the team best from a fielding perspective.

OK, shoot me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

you can have all the range in the world but if you cant hang on whats the point of getting there in the first place. Id rather have a guy with 7 range and a .980 Field at 2B, than a 10 Range guy with a .957
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Basically it sounds like Edwin Encarncion vs Jeff Keppinger.

Edwin has all the range in the world at 3b but his throws are inconsistant as can be.

Keppinger doesnt have the range but those he does get to his arm is rather consistant and he gets opportunities turned into outs. But he doesnt get to near as many as Edwin would.

For me depends on position.

SS MUST be at least an 8 range, if I can help it.
    3b Depends on the bat of a player
    2b I'm rather indifferent. Ive played with low range and high range guys there.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

for 2B I'll take the low range and high fielding%
    SS, if I can get a SS with .950 or higher I'll take that 10 range
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's not a perfect world Porter, therefore that player doesn't exist in the context of this argument. It's one or the other, not someone who's good but not great in either category.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And really, my actual argument is that Figgins has so good potential as a hitter, a lead off man, plus the great range, it trumps the .950 fielding %.

But I threw out the other ratings for the sake of this argument.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

fair enough.

It would depend on the position really. I would want high range up the middle and the OF. and high glove at 1B, CA and 3B.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I left it vague, just one of the infield positions besides 1B. For Figgins, his best position is 2B, and he has 9 range for the outfield I think but aan even lower fielding %.

I guess my point at least for Figgins, you're talking about the potential of an all-star lead off man with decent power even, a young Ichiro maybe. And with his range and speed, I feel like it's worth having despite the low fielding %.

I don't think I would want a SS who, even with a .999% had a very low range rating. It's kinda like, what if we put 2009 Mike Lowell at SS. Egads.

I'm just justifying that Mission got a steal in that draft, at pick 19, because people couldn't show up to pick or maybe others slightly reached. I don't know. Your pick was good, as I mentioned in the other forum.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    I left it vague, just one of the infield positions besides 1B. For Figgins, his best position is 2B, and he has 9 range for the outfield I think but aan even lower fielding %.

I guess my point at least for Figgins, you're talking about the potential of an all-star lead off man with decent power even, a young Ichiro maybe. And with his range and speed, I feel like it's worth having despite the low fielding %.

I don't think I would want a SS who, even with a .999% had a very low range rating. It's kinda like, what if we put 2009 Mike Lowell at SS. Egads.

I'm just justifying that Mission got a steal in that draft, at pick 19, because people couldn't show up to pick or maybe others slightly reached. I don't know. Your pick was good, as I mentioned in the other forum.
    Figgins is a damn good hitter if I had an open spot at DH id take him. Hes the ideal hitter that I like. But given the team and league hes in (I think his defense is much better than hes rated in that league). If Victor Martinez was taken before my pick. Id take Figgins and probably put him at 2B due to Carranza being at SS.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Here's what I love though, for amusement sake, Mission's infield is now: Rolen, Jeter, Michael Young, and Figgins. And for those clueless, these are 20 something versions.

I'm also enjoying your rotation, Oswalt Santana Escobar with Freddy Garcia and Rodrigo Lopez in AAA.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And I had Dempster before I dealt him to you.

You forget my bullpen.

Gagne
    Marte
    Julio.

I will have to trade for Felix when hes available in that league like you did for Zito.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Another thing I judge how to build my team defensive wise, it depends on my pitching staff. If I have high movement pitchers, I tend to go for the range guys, but if my staff has a higher stuff average like upper 80s I'll settle for the 45-55 guys. Really depends.

AAA ERA

I vote for higher fielding, lower range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast