0 0%
  • Saturday Anytime

2 25.00%
  • Sunday Night

0 0%
  • any of the options of 2-5

2 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Draft: When are you guys available?

Want a moustache ride? BrewerBall13's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Live Draft: When are you guys available?

if its restart or shelf the whole league, then I'd be more than open to restarting it...

MLB ERA

what about updating the OOTP version and advertise on the site? Try to get some fresh blood to the site? Like you said not many people really want to jump in the middle of 2018.

Maybe if its a restart then you can "save" one guy from your team whom will be created upon starting?

IE Ryan O"Reily is "reborn" for me and takes the place of some scrub prospect. Just an idea to try and "help".
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

I have an idea in mind currently. I would need some help with webspace, and would have to make sure mission had the room to host something like this and was willing to do it, of course. If I can get the go-ahead from him and he's supportive of me attempting this, I'm thinking about trying an OOTP10 league.

Tossing around ideas in my head, it would likely be a league akin to real life, and I'd aim to maybe begin the simming activities when the real-life 2009 MLB offseason is set to begin... so maybe we could start in free agency/the offseason, similar to how we did it in the 2nd incarnation of TPSL (this incarnation that is...). I really think if this were to go down we could get a lot of new members to sign up here, and if they like the site and stick around, it would obviously mean more posting on the team forums. I'd like to run it with 30 teams if I were to go the route of a realism-based sim. I know some rosters on the OOTP development boards for OOTP9 were absurdly deep, so I'm sure I could find a decent set to start with for OOTP10 and then modify it accordingly to correspand with any transactions that occur before a cutoff date...

All of this aside, I'm still going to finish the 2018 season off either way... new incarnation on OOTP10 or not. The sims will be frequent moving forward until the playoffs, but that's more so because I'm simming with the end of the yr in mind more than anything, and don't want to re-up the site on the 19th just for a few more games ...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    what about updating the OOTP version and advertise on the site? Try to get some fresh blood to the site? Like you said not many people really want to jump in the middle of 2018.

Maybe if its a restart then you can "save" one guy from your team whom will be created upon starting?

IE Ryan O"Reily is "reborn" for me and takes the place of some scrub prospect. Just an idea to try and "help".

Hey Slyder, I actually really love that bottom idea and was thinking about suggesting something like that. I would rather the "re-born" players be fictional TPSL players, i.e. .. Anaheim has Syo-Go Kikaku, a fictional player in the sense that he isn't in anyone's real-life minor league systems, but he flourished in the league. O'Reily is the same thing, works too. I just wouldn't want real-life MLB players/prospects to be replicated, i.e. Galloway even, since they're on other teams in real life and it would be accurate as such on the new rosters.

Talent levels probably differ in the new game, in ootp9 I know you could use different rating systems, but I doubt I'd use the same 1-10 formula unless people must have it, and I don't want to overload a new roster with too much talent, because wes is right... it does throw things off a bit. But, I would give them similar talent to their TPSL-counterparts, atleast so they're somewhat relative to their namesake from this league. But I would also make them all prospects (dob's might have to be changed for a few of them) so they aren't already stars, which would be the case for some of the guys that could be chosen...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Would there be a way to "equalize" finances and do it more like s3sl (any team competing can spend in the 80-100 mil) and not have some of the outrageous contracts cause teams like the Yanks can out spend anyone 2-1? Or would you want to keep it more lifelike with the varying markets and what not?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ratings are different even on a 1-10 scale. In other words, a 6 or 7 is average to us, but can be pretty good on the new OOTPs. Pitching ratings are by far the hardest to assess on the new games.

I do like Slyder's idea of saving a player, almost like a keepsake.

Too bad my keepsakes are real (kicks dirt).
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I think the varying markets adds to the challenge myself. And when S3SL first started, I vividly remember teams like TB and KC being dreadful in terms of both finances and fan interest. Obviously the league has changed and evolved since the early seasons, but I think I would want to keep finances realistic. If you're taking a team like KC or PIT, chances are you're looking to rebuild from the ground up anyway.

The thing about OOTP10 (or 9 anyway, as I'm assuming 10 is similar with even more features) is you can have option years on contracts, incentives, mvp-clauses, arbitration and FA comp is included w/ the game and works as part of the game-engine. From my experience with OOTP9, contracts generally seemed to come out better than they do in 6.5, although there are some flubs here and there... but there's more options to tweak in order to perfect stuff like that, and I never bothered to delve into any of that stuff when I was playing my own personal franchise.

I could always limit teams financial spending in FA during years with big FA crops.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free agency is very realistic, with all of the options you mentioned above. It makes things interesting actually, and competitive. I've personally noticed players don't like organizations as much as 6.5
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Ratings are different even on a 1-10 scale. In other words, a 6 or 7 is average to us, but can be pretty good on the new OOTPs. Pitching ratings are by far the hardest to assess on the new games.

Yeah, it's true. Truthfully when I played in my franchise, I turned star ratings off entirely and had players rated on a 1-80 scale when I did use something (I thought it was cooler and much more accurate than star ratings... but there was an option to use star ratings and other stuff too). I like how the new OOTP works, and I'd rather have 20 dedicated GMs who could learn the engine even if we were unable to find 30, than 30 GMs in the current setup and 5 or 6 teams who aren't even doing anything or don't even have an offical GM.

The new OOTPs are much more detailed, which could pose as a problem for some people who are more casual with these leagues and don't check them as often, and there would be a learning curve no doubt... but there would be time for everyone to figure it out before anything got going and I know a lot of you guys would do fine even if you had to pick it up on the run.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Hey Slyder, I actually really love that bottom idea and was thinking about suggesting something like that. I would rather the "re-born" players be fictional TPSL players, i.e. .. Anaheim has Syo-Go Kikaku, a fictional player in the sense that he isn't in anyone's real-life minor league systems, but he flourished in the league. O'Reily is the same thing, works too. I just wouldn't want real-life MLB players/prospects to be replicated, i.e. Galloway even, since they're on other teams in real life and it would be accurate as such on the new rosters.

Talent levels probably differ in the new game, in ootp9 I know you could use different rating systems, but I doubt I'd use the same 1-10 formula unless people must have it, and I don't want to overload a new roster with too much talent, because wes is right... it does throw things off a bit. But, I would give them similar talent to their TPSL-counterparts, atleast so they're somewhat relative to their namesake from this league. But I would also make them all prospects (dob's might have to be changed for a few of them) so they aren't already stars, which would be the case for some of the guys that could be chosen...
    I like the OOTP 9 league im in right now and would be open to a OOTP9/10 type league.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post

a 6 or 7 is above average and guys with a 5 rating can pass in the newer ones. Pitching wise a 7-6-7 pitcher can be a solid guy, compared to AAAA player in 6.5
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

I messaged mission to figure out whether or not it is plausible for him to host something like this and/or if he's cool with it period. I'm not going to jump into full-on idea mode until I hear back... lol

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

I'm down for anything as long as the league lives
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA

I think it could really help bring activity here too. Say we would shoot for a 30-man league, I know for fact some people who are currently in this incarnation may not be up for learning a new format or keeping this in their league repertoire period. For some of the guys who have gotten busy and/or lost interest or whatever may be the reason, they wouldn't have to feel obliged to sign up again just to fill a slot. I think I could find 30 people from off the site to join an OOTP10 league honestly-- I have confidence I could make a really appealing & accurate roster set with enough time, especially if I can find a nice base set to start with from the OOTPdev boards. The demand for new v.10 leagues is much heavier than the demand for a 6.5 league, especially when it has been running for 10+ sim years and everything is discombobulated at this point. No one wants to jump into a league when they don't know the history... that's what I've generally found. But a fresh league, with a good roster, a solid core already in place to start with, and I know this could fill up pretty fast. Buit once a league gets too deep, it really is hard to get foreign people into it. I joined a long-running 6.5 league off of this site once, and while it was interesting and pretty competitive, I only stuck around for one season because I didn't know anything about the previous years in the league, and they were in 2015 by that point or something. Hard to stay interested. I did take the previous yrs worst record to the wild card the one year I was a GM though...

edit: obviously it's different for guys who are and have been on this site for awhile, since we all know eachother at this point... but bringing people from off the site and getting them to stick in a league with strangers is a little tougher, and when the league isn't new it's damn near impossible

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

OOTP 10 comes with a very good current roster set. If you do the 1951 league... that one needs some work as the ratings are much lower. I am torn about switching. The current Mets have some serious hitters ready to come up next season, but alas... no pitching, so I am also cool with starting over with OOTP 10. It is very complicated compared to 6.5 though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast