Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your mistakes in this league?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: What are your mistakes in this league?

I don't think this worked out well for Seattle,
    Traded from San Diego to Seattle on 2/1/2014 (Going to SEA: 3B Chase Headley, 2B Tom King, C Mitch Canham, P Chuck Tiffany. Going to SDN: P Lee Porter, P Kyle Allen, P Kenneth Olsen)

I soon got Headley back via free agency for a 2nd rounder who died. Olsen is looking nice and Allen got me Salty, which he didn't like Petco but Curtis Miller and Thomas King (another Tom King!) are decent enough return.

I might regret dealing PA if someone ever runs the cardinals and he develops. Rasmus turned in a great year for me so maybe not.

Traded from Philadelphia to Colorado on 8/1/2010 (Going to COL: P Cole Hamels. Going to PHI: P Tony Butler, P Michael Bowden, P Kasey Kiker)...
    Cause I didn't make the playoffs that season after dealing for Hamels and some other guy to "push" me over the top. Lost in a one game playoff to the Dbacks.

Released by New York (A) on 7/27/2006...
    Signed as a free agent by Tampa Bay on 3/3/2007 to a 1-year deal worth $812,000 per year...
    Released by Tampa Bay on 7/1/2007...
    Signed as a free agent by Colorado on 7/15/2007 to a 1-year deal worth $736,000 per year...
    2/1/2008: Gets a new one-year contract worth $1,137,143 through salary arbitration...

Two teams cut a guy who went on to hit 400 homeruns and wait, he's still in the league. Dang.

Traded from Atlanta to San Diego on 5/16/2014 (Going to ATL: P Russell West, P Daniel Koga, 2B B.J. Upton, 1B Prince Fielder. Going to SDN: 1B J.K. Simmons, P Brett Cecil, 3B Leo Maldonado)
    Wouldn't be so bad if Simmons hadn't lost contact talent and I traded Maldonado who boomed for STL. Fielder has hit 181 homeruns since.

Traded from Philadelphia to San Diego on 3/3/2015 (Going to PHI: 1B Joseph Barre, P William Giles, P David Labat, P Chris Withrow. Going to SDN: P Casey Weathers, C Jason Castro)...
    This deal was like... me being Roger Federer and CJ being Andy Roddick.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    One more

Traded from Los Angeles (N) to Cincinnati on 6/1/2015 (Going to LAN: P Benny Zaragoza, P Geronimo Valle, P Charles Payton. Going to CIN: CF Cody Johnson)...

as off and on as Johnson is, he's still going to have a better career than anyone else in that deal barring a Zaragoza monster boost... Valle is still young, but meh.

Both are off my team, and Payton is a non-prospect. Johnson eventually signed a monster deal with LAA, which I wouldn't have offered anyway. But still, he'd be a nice power bat I don't have.
    And shipping away the now 20 game winning Mark Prior
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA

Traded from Atlanta to San Diego on 5/16/2014 (Going to ATL: P Russell West, P Daniel Koga, 2B B.J. Upton, 1B Prince Fielder. Going to SDN: 1B J.K. Simmons, P Brett Cecil, 3B Leo Maldonado)...

Wouldn't have been so bad if I was able to re-sign Fielder(another blunder). I should have just written him a blank check, but I ended up losing him. The relievers were mediocre, Upton was overpaid. Cecil has had a couple good years, and Maldonado is still young. This trade will probably only look worse in the coming years.

Traded from Atlanta to Colorado on 2/1/2015 (Going to COL: 2B Paul Creswell, P Ervin Santana, P Benjamin Medina, P Alden Haugland. Going to ATL: 3B Aramis Ramirez)...

Wasn't terrible. Aramis got me to the NLCS. I gave up a pitcher who's been nothing but mediocre, a prospect who's no closer to filling out, a decent closer, and a mediocre minor leaguer. This trade was a mistake not so much because of what I gave up, but because Aramis' salary hurt me financially, and I'm still stuck with only a little bit of cash.

Those are the two biggest that I can find while I'm at work.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
    And shipping away the now 20 game winning Mark Prior
    He always did well the 1st year being traded.

He won 17 in 2014 from being sent from Seattle.

Traded from Colorado to Seattle on 2/1/2013 (Going to COL: RF Matt Holliday, P Jon Huber, P Juan Brown, SS Robert Santo. Going to SEA: P Carlos Marmol, P Mark Prior, CF Antonio Valenzuela)...

Prior and Valenzuela were later traded for for deals that brought backup catcher Wolfgang Cutler and Adam Rhodes.

Juan Brown boosted quite a bit since he deal but is getting bombed in the ML. Ron Santo is not on a team. Huber is retired. Hollday was traded later on for 4 players to Philly, but the year he was in Colorado was no where near his best.

Marmol is probably the best closer in baseball since leaving Coors.

317.1 IP, 189 H, 96 BB, 545 Ks, 178 SV, 1.90 ERA, 0.89 WHIP
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Crazy's last hurrah?

Traded from St. Louis to Oakland on 7/18/2014 (Going to STL: P Zach Duke, DH Kellen Kulbacki, 1B Tomas Cifonte, P Johnny Post, 2B Riccio Torrez. Going to OAK: 1B Albert Pujols)...

Duke has been injured 4 times since the trade and lost talent.
    Kulbacki has an OPS of around .700 since the trade...he did hit 23 homers with 93 RBIs this season though
    Cifonte hasn't developed much and is 25 stuck in AAA
    Post has been injured twice, lost talent, and was terrible this season with an ERA near 7
    Torrez lost some talent and has a career OPS of .707

Pujols has won the MVP each season since (not counting 2017...though he could win it again). He's had an OPS of over 1.000 and he's hitting over .360 since joining the A's in 2014.

And to elaborate on the Chavez deal:

Traded from Minnesota to Oakland on 4/2/2007 (Going to MIN: 3B Eric Chavez. Going to OAK: 1B Chris Parmelee, SS Alexi Casilla, P Ramon Ortiz)...

Chavez had 2 good seasons for mntwinsfan IIRC. I believe lost talent soon after that.

Parmelee was 19 at the time and is 29 now. He's won 7 straight (probably 8) GGs at 1B. He's made 3 ASGs. He already has over 1500 hits. His career line is .283/.340/.441/.780

Even Casilla had a few years of success before collapsing and being replaced this year. He won a GG at SS in 2013. He was 3rd in hitting in 2012 with a .319 average. He stole over 50 bases twice and over 30 two other times (263 career steals vs. 106 CS). His career line is .301/.340/.402/.742

Ortiz was just a salary dump because the Twins didn't have enough $$$ for Chavez's contract. he never played a game for me.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 07-06-2009 at 11:32 AM.

MLB ERA

Traded from Chicago (A) to Atlanta on 6/17/2010 (Going to ATL: C Hank Conger. Going to CHA: C Brayan Pena, RF Austin Jackson)...

This one turned out to be lopsided in Atl's favor, but I had Salty and now Maddox isn't doing too bad so I don't really miss Conger at all. (Who isn't exactly lighting the world on fire...Austin Jackson pretty much sucked though.)

Traded from San Diego to Chicago (A) on 7/1/2015 (Going to SDN: C Jarrod Saltalamacchia, P Jeffrey Locke. Going to CHA: P Kyle Allen, 3B Harry Futrell, P Ahmed Turnbow, 2B Juan Uribe, RF Michael
    Hume)

This one hasn't turned out as well as I had hoped. Kyle Allen has fizzled as a starter and is in the pen now. Futrell had an ok rookie season and Turnbow got me Chad Cordero, so it isn't overly bad but not what I had hoped.
    Last edited by HollywoodLeo; 07-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

I thought for sure Provie would list my trade for Harden. Gomez (decent MLB career) Guerra, (flop traded to Wash for a very good Zimmerman), and Pelfrey for Harden.

Of course I don't think I ever won the WS with Harden and then traded him for a bunch of junk from Atlanta with my secondary trade of Walden being the only thing to net me some still good prospects...

I traded David Wright and John Maine to Mission for Willis. I think I got 4 good years out of Willis and Mish got about 8 GREAT years out of Wright.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    I thought for sure Provie would list my trade for Harden. Gomez (decent MLB career) Guerra, (flop traded to Wash for a very good Zimmerman), and Pelfrey for Harden.

Of course I don't think I ever won the WS with Harden and then traded him for a bunch of junk from Atlanta with my secondary trade of Walden being the only thing to net me some still good prospects...
    I did mention Harden in my first post. Harden has performed better overall than what I got in the end, but I only traded him because I won WS in two leagues with him. I wanted to win differently this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I'm sure some would say me trading Harden, but under normal circumstances that never would have happened (i.e. version 1.0 file getting destroyed). I had to do it differently this time in my mind. What would be the point in winning the same way with the same guys? I got a lot of use out of 3B Zimmerman and RF Gomez up until this year.
    Gomez had a few good years, but he's probably cooked now after an off-season injury last year that had him out until July. He's got almost 500 steals and made 2 ASGs. He's a 5th/AAA OF for me now. He's been cheap at auto, about $2.5 mil for 2 arby years, $4.25 mil x 3 years, and $3 mil x 3 years.

Zimmerman has had a good career, but he's had some pretty crappy years, too (2007,2015, and 2017). He had very good years in 2012 and 2016 with 2008, 2010, and 2011 being good as well. 7 GGs and 2 ASGs. He's been cheap, too at auto, about $1.5 mil arby 1 year, $2 mil x 3 years, $3 mil x 4 years, and $2.5 mil x 5 years. He recently lost talent so I'm not really expecting him to bounce back after this season.

Pelfrey sucked for me, but was eventually packaged for Madson who has won over 80 games (84 I think) for me since coming to Oakland in 2011 (6.5 seasons...though he missed about half of this season...so we'll call it 6). He's averaged about 14 wins for me in 6 full seasons with an ERA under 4 (about 3.91).

Money also played a factor. Harden got real expensive and the guys I got were real cheap...and they stayed cheap. The deal hasn't been terrible, but no one won a WS. I didn't without Harden. You and LJ didn't with him. I certainly got more out of my deal than BJD in TSSL and you did in trading him to ATL. I don't think I'll be getting a whole lot now because Madson is almost done (pen now due to endurance), Gomez lost talent / is AAAA now, and Zimmerman lost talent recently, too. Zimmerman will still be my 3B, but I'm not expecting a lot out of him going forward.

MLB ERA

That's the other trade I'd argue was a mistake for me. Yes, I can't deny Harden has been everything I expected him to be, but with the way my offense performed a bit worse than I anticipated, and with Harden eating up salary, has also made it harder to add valuable offensive pieces....

MLB ERA

I just noticed that Harden only has two 20-game win seasons (21 in 2008 and 21 in 2013...both with the Mets) in his career here. I got two 20-game wins seasons from guys I traded for (22 wins for Hirsh in 2012 and 20 wins for Asahina in 2014).

And while no one won a WS, I made the playoffs more times without Harden than you guys did with him combined. Oakland 8 playoff trips (7 division titles, 1 Wild Card). Mets 3 playoff trips (2 division titles, 1 Wild Card). Atlanta 2 playoff trips (2 division titles).

Win totals for SPs I've traded for:

Jon Asahina 143 wins in 11 seasons (1 of those seasons he was in AAA for all but 3 starts...so he got 143 wins in 10 seasons)
    Jason Hirsh 143 wins and 1 save in 11 seasons
    Ryan Madson 84 wins and 5 saves in about 6 seasons
    Chaz Roe 47 wins in about 4 full seasons (spent a lot of time in AAA until he boosted)
    Jon Lester 42 wins in 3.5 seasons
    Zach Duke 36 wins and 3 saves in about 5 seasons
    Mike Pelfrey 31 wins in about 3.5 seasons
    Scott Olsen 30 wins in 2.5 seasons
    Gio Gonzalez 2 wins in half of a season

Harden has 178 wins in the 11 seasons since I trade him.

Wins / Save totals for relievers I traded for:

Andy Sisco 53 wins and 35 saves in 11 seasons
    Richard Pinto 21 wins and 11 saves in about 7 seasons (spent about 4 seasons in the minors)

Traded from Oakland to Pittsburgh on 2/1/2009 (Going to PIT: P James Simmons, CF Dexter Fowler, C Jonathan Lucroy. Going to OAK: P Zach Duke)...

Duke won 36 games in about 5 seasons, flamed out, and was part of my package for Pujols. He had a great year in 2009 leading the AL in ERA and getting 16 wins. Fowler has had good seasons as a 4th OF with a career OPS of .822 for both PIT and AZ...although he started more for AZ this season. Simmons has had back-to-back 20 win seasons for PIT. He's got 80 career wins in about 5 seasons. I could use Simmons now lol...I regret trading him somewhat.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 07-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.

MLB ERA

Speaking on Carlos Pena, Zito:

Drove in 6 runs against San Francisco on 9/5/2012...
    Drove in 6 runs against Los Angeles (N) on 9/8/2012...
    Drove in 6 runs against San Diego on 9/15/2012...

That's a pretty damn impressive run in a short span.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Holy shit Prov, I completely forgot about Lester's run in OAK.

He's hilatrious... the only two times he's eclipsed 200 IP were with OAK. And it's not like he hasn't been a starter most of the time-- 367 games pitched, 313 started

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Holy shit Prov, I completely forgot about Lester's run in OAK.

He's hilatrious... the only two times he's eclipsed 200 IP were with OAK. And it's not like he hasn't been a starter most of the time-- 367 games pitched, 313 started
    Somehow I've gotten 1.5 decent seasons out of him, this last season sucked though. Hasn't had any injury trouble for me...

MLB ERA

Yea, I traded Street for Lester straight up. I traded Lester/Kiker for Roe and a reliever spec that died. Lester was sucking for me and Kiker had lost talent. He gained it after and has gone onto Seattle. He's below .500 for his career.

I mean, I guess you could say Lester for Street was bad. Lester had 2 good seasons with me. Street has been great for Boston and CWS. I had Casilla who was a solid closer/reliever from 2007 - 2014, but hasn't really been the same since that injury in 2012. Casilla made moving Street easier. He has saved 284 games for me before Mazzaro taking over (83 saves). Silva is my closer now. If you factor in Roe, then the deal looks better as Roe boosted. He's won 40 games the last 3 seasons with an ERA of about 4.35. He just turned 31 so he's still got plenty of time to add to that. Combined Roe and Lester have won 89 games and counting.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Upton was overpaid at the time LJ but he had two productive years for you while you contended for the playoffs. I think the only things that make that deal bad for you and then me as well is if Maldanado fills out. He could be a really good power hitter cause he has no real holes with the bat.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast