Thread: OOTP.... and Steve Blass disease?

MLB ERA

Random OOTP.... and Steve Blass disease?

Now I've really seen everything.

I've noticed this all year, but after this last sim, it really jumped out at me. I'm talking about Scott Elbert. All season he's had control problems and as a result I've been reluctant to put him back into the rotation. With Uehara bombing lately, and a couple decent innings in the pen (among some awful ones), I decided it was a time to try it now or consider it a lost year for the lefty with lofty aspirations...

#23 Scott Elbert, Reliever, 26 yrs, Los Angeles (N) Dodgers - Out of the Park Baseball Report

First, check out some stats from last year 67 ks, 47 bbs in 94 IP... nothing outstanding but for a rookie in limited time, it was fine. Figure in the 1-hitter he threw that year and I'd consider it an impressive debut in his first year.

Fast forward a little.

He started the year pretty poorly, and since I had alternatives I demoted him to AAA... put up decent enough numbers, so I recalled him to be a part of the pen. After about a sim or two like I said, back in the rotation for just this past sim.

On the game log, look at the 7/31 and 8/17 losses to STL and SFN.

One was while in the pen (STL) which I admittedly didn't even notice until I analyzed his starts this past sim, but damn... that's 17 walks in just two appearences alone. 7 innings total.

Another thing.. some more stats, from this year now opposed to last... 64 BB, 31 Ks, and only 75 IP...
    =========

And just for comparrison's sake, here's a pitcher with similar ratings

#48 Jason Hirsh, Starting Pitcher, 29 yrs, Oakland Athletics - Out of the Park Baseball Report

Lots of 6 control pitchers throughout the league having success... even 5 control, I'm sure (Kazmir?). Just weird.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: OOTP.... and Steve Blass disease?

Hirsh struggled under the previous settings though...he was 1st in walks in 2008 and 4th in 2010. Thankfully, he beasted and I hope reaches it because he's doing well now.

Also, you should finally trade me Elbert in the off-season as you forgot to mention I've tried to pry him from numerous times. He wants to be in Oakland...that's why he's tanking on you.