Thread: Ideas I'm bouncing around strongly for next season...

MLB ERA

Ideas I'm bouncing around strongly for next season...

40-Man Roster Rule
    If enabled, players must manage a roster of 40 protected players. In order to be on the active roster, a player must be on the 40 man roster.

What this means:
    Well, at atleast one point in the year, likely the start of the season, you'll have to take the time fill out a full 40-man roster. That could be annoying to those of you who barely send MLB changes, let alone minor league... or let alone at all. But this is the point of the idea I think. I'm trying to get people more interested in managing their teams even if they're not in the race. For example, without name dropping, one of the top-5 systems (prospect-wise) in the league hasn't sent a change in since time I've been back, gone, or beforehand to my knowledge. There's about a handful of teams with cluttered systems and whatnot, I'm not trying to single anyone out if they're reading this, but I see too many struggling teams with a lot of talent in their minors (AAA mainly) that is MLB-ready and it kind of annoys me that these players rot there because no one calls them up or atleast tries them. Another thing that this could potentially help is preventing wasteful spending. You sign a 7 mil dollar bench player in FA for the sake of it, and put him on the 40 man then decide to demote him, and he doesn't want to? You're out 7 mil if you cut him. It might make people think twice before cashing in big in FA just because they have the money.

The benefits:
    -- This would allow us to use waivers, with a few ideas as to how.
    -- We could potentially use minor league option years, if everyone fully understands what that entails (I for one like the idea of minor league options, and will explain how it should work in the game in a minute here... but I'm not going to instigate it if no one else does-- the point of this post, obviously).
    -- We could have minor league free agents. Which again, I'm going to fully explain, but essentially it will semi-prevent players from completely rotting in someone's minor league for too long, and eventually have a chance to hit FA and be signed and used by other teams.
    -- Rule 5 Draft. This we can still do, and I have ideas on how I would do it without an in-game 40-man roster, but it would be much easier to do on the game if people actually liked this idea.
    -- I would open exporting so those who would want to assemble their 40-men rosters that way instead of PM could do so if they have the game.
    You would only have to manage the actual 40-man roster in its entirety once a year. Demoting players from the 40-man would essentially be exactly like it is now, only players would have an option to refuse the demotion, or in the case we use waivers, they go on waivers.

The negatives:
    -- It's a signifigant chunk of work, and there's a lot of other leagues on this site people are already in. Not to mention it seems like a few teams have the carousel curse where there's constantly a GM in, and constantly a GM out, which will make it hard for those teams to get going.
    -- We have a lot of stuff in the league already, and this might just make it more confusing for people who are easily confused. And some of you probably are expecting me to wind up on Unsolved Mysteries again soon.
    -- Some people are plain lazy. No offense meant, it is what it is. Myself included. At the time it sounds good, but it could backfire horribly.

Moving on... I'll explain everything we can do if we have a 40-man roster option checked.

Waiver Rule:
    If minor league options are enabled, players who are out of options years must clear waivers before they can be sent to the minor leagues. Players must also clear waivers in order to be traded after the trading deadline. Any team may claim a player on the waiver wire, but the original team is allowed to revoke the waiver and and pull the player back on the roster.
    You can change the amount of time players can sit before being assigned to a level while clearing waivers and after (Designated for Assignment Max: 10 ... default) and you can change the amount of time for the actual waiver period, which the default is 3 days. Unsure if we could work something where waiver periods could carry over through sims, but it's something that could be looked into if there's interest.

We'd have to have a waiver thread on the boards, and each time I waived someone in the game for someone's changes I would just update the waiver thread. If someone put a claim on that player, whether it be in the actual thread (which might work better if we were to get a system going, keeping in mind this is all hypothetical right now) or in PM, the other GM would either be able to let the player go through to the other team or pull them back.

Minor League Option Years:
    If enabled, allows a player to be optioned to the minor leagues 3 seperate years while on the 40-man roster. After 3 option years, he must stay on the active major league roster, or clear waivers before demotion.

This would agan only work if we used waivers (and the 40-man). It's self-explanatory, but obviously if we used 40-man rosters and waivers, this would be one of the options we'd have and could look into.

Salary Arbitration is already enabled, so no need to bring that up.

Minor League Free Agents
    Minor League players with 6 years of minor league service who are not on the 40-man roster become free agents after the season if they have a minor league contract or their MLB contract runs out.

This would be the main thing I'd like to look into. But again, it would only work if the idea of a 40-man roster was agreed to. It would go into effect next year, and from there on out you would be responsible for protecting the players you want to remain within your system. It could also potentially open up a Rule 5 draft.

Rule 5 Draft
    The rule 5 Draft is held in the offseason. Any player with more than 3, but less than 6 years of professional experience who is not protected on someone's 40-man roster is elligible. Only teams with an incomplete 40-man roster may participate. Drafted players have to remain on the active roster the entire year.

An idea I've been toying with for awhile, but doing it without a 40-man roster (and still can more than likely, it would just be a lot harder). If we use the 40-man roster we could pull this off a lot easier.
    This could be fun if we think of some ways to make it fun. We'd obviously have to make it worth while, or else there's a chance there best player picked could be so meaningless it would defeat the purpose of the rule 5-- for this league's benefit, atleast.
    Zito and I have already discussed some ideas, and it realistically could work well if there's enough garnered interest.

I wanted to run this by you guys first. I really want to generate more interest from everyone, and try some new things for next season. I'm also going to try editting the draft class a little differently for next year, with a lot of different types of players that can all help in some way but not all, instead of a ton of absolute studs in all categories at the top of the board. More balance, less top and bottom heavy.

Mission, you might have used some of these options with S3SL in the past. If you have any feedback on how they worked or what's the best way to do it, let me know.

Thanks guys!

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Ideas I'm bouncing around strongly for next season...

Pass
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't think you'll get a lot of people to participate in this...only a couple people even use the promotional days and depth charts in my leagues. Promotional days are pretty friggin' easy...I think this will confuse some people and make shit more complicated. Whatever you want to do bro...just please don't go the stupid reward route. Those leagues are less about OOTP skill and more about posting and stroking your ego to artificially boost players and such.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'm all for the Rule 5 draft, and I think it'd be worth a shot to try some of these changes. It would make it unique from other OOTP leagues. Don't know if you don't try.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

The one time I used multiple promotional days in your league I just remember a ton of extension money disappearing in a hurry. That's why I stopped using them and never use them now.

As for depth charts, that's kind of a different thing... but I can see what you're saying I guess.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

promotional day money comes out of cash...so that's inaccurate. You must have had some people become eligible for arbitration or get higher arbitration estimates. My point wasn't that people weren't using it...I could care less. My point was that promotional days are easier to use than what you've outlined and people don't even use something that is easier. Why would they do something that is harder and just complicates things for the average ghost GM?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    The one time I used multiple promotional days in your league I just remember a ton of extension money disappearing in a hurry. That's why I stopped using them and never use them now.

As for depth charts, that's kind of a different thing... but I can see what you're saying I guess.
    Did you check Rich Harden's bank account?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Did you check Rich Harden's bank account?
    what the hell is that supposed to mean? why don't you say what you really mean for once?