Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 14.29%
  • No

11 52.38%
  • Yes, but only 1 free pass per year

7 33.33%

Thread: An idea (that I'm stealing from General and modifying)... vote inside.

MLB ERA

An idea (that I'm stealing from General and modifying)... vote inside.

Talking to another member on AIM, an idea that General is using for his league but with limitations came into my head for use with this league.

I don't even know how General's worded his reasoning for doing it really, but this is pretty much his rule and I know that. So if it seems like I'm ripping him off, I'm not trying too... I'm sure he won't mind if I use it.

What would you guys think about this:

Two "free passes" per year you can use to reverse negative development done to your prospects or players under the fitting circumstances on your team.

As it is, we have it so anyone under 30 who has a career ender is reverted to a 26 week injury (and as a result, out for the year and sometimes then some). So this would be a further attempt to protect young players from negative development that comes for no apparent reason.

The circumstances that you would be able to use these free passes for, would consist of for starters:

-- No one over 30
    -- No one coming off of injury
    -- No one restored that died last year or anytime before this year rolled over

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, this would be a big trust thing, because I cannot monitor the entire league. Another thing is, we have a lot of talent already, and this is another thing I am taking into mind. A couple players dying doesn't really hurt the league or talent level. It might actually even it out. However, certain players taking hits for no apparent reason, when they are nice prospects or slated to be good regulars or even contributors in some way, can be annoying as hell.

Basically, I look at it like this. Say a player has finally filled out, and is just turning about 25. Hitting the stride of his young career. And then he randomly loses talent in 3 categories. Is it part of the game, or an annoyance?

No matter what the vote is... it's going to be a limited rule. I won't fix a limitless amount of players. Two might even be stretching it... I might only leave it at one.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Re: An idea (that I'm stealing from General and modifying)... vote inside.

I personally think there is so much boosted talent in the draft, that this is not necessary. If this were a league where talent was scarce, I could see doing this. This is not the case.
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

AAA ERA

Where was this rule last year? I've had too many young talented players die out this past year that killed my rebuild. A guy like Sean Marshall who was a young ace shouldn't die out at 25 when he's almost filled out. He gained some of it back last year, but still spent the entire season in AAA.

But still since this league's started I've had Greg Golson, Felix Pie, Shane Lindsay, Donnie Veal, and Xavier Avery lose talent. Even Jay Crew who was a 1st overall pick by Seattle lost talent while waiting for TC to vote on the trade. Those were just the bigger specs, I've had plenty of guys go from MLB contributor talent to nothing. Maybe the league does have a lot of talent, but not here.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
    I personally think there is so much boosted talent in the draft, that this is not necessary. If this were a league where talent was scarce, I could see doing this. This is not the case.
    How much of that talent is devleoping though?
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

Much like in real life, talent does not always develop... but there is a TON of talent out there in this league...

And the talent does not only dip.. we have 2.5 star guys turn in to 4.0's too...
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA

I voted no, I agree with Dave, there's just too much talent at this point
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
    Much like in real life, talent does not always develop... but there is a TON of talent out there in this league...

And the talent does not only dip.. we have 2.5 star guys turn in to 4.0's too...
    Ya I get that, I mean I've been praying for a while Josh Vitters develop. He's still talented though. I don't mind if it's hard for all this talent to gain actuals, I just see it crashing too much all around me. Maybe I just have bad luck.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I voted yes since it's so unrealistic to have a young star die off with no cause.. i.e. injury. Does it really happen in real life? A guy like Pujols, no major injury, no drug issues, no arrests.. suddenly becomes a bum and he's not even 30.. if that happened in a league, there would be an uproar. That's just a small example.

I'm voting yes in the sense that it does not make any sense to lose a major league talent that's not even at his prime when no injury has occurred. I'd care a hell of a lot more if I lose a franchise bat on my ML roster than if I lose some super prospect years away. That's not even my issue of concern. You all have experienced, this is a chance to prevent that without things getting out of hand since Nick set limits.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

It's all good, baby baby.

I did it cause I forgot to shift the development modifiers from the default OOTP setting to the standard -65% that I am using for this league, which resulted in 2 sims with shitty development.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't think it's a huge issue, as Dave said people randomly gain talent too.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

I think one per year is a good idea and have seen a similar rule work in other leagues. It's frustrating when you're a losing team and all you have are prospectus...when one dies, it kills interest.
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

I lost plenty of talent that I gained in trade, but that's all part of the game.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

it's part of the game and Nick has the development settings so friggin' low that it shouldn't be an issue...the only issue will be that a lot of guys may never reach their talent because of that, but that's how it is for everyone in the league. It's a level playing field. I had Duke lose talent before he got injured or after he came back for a little while (I forget which) and he was filled out, but that just the way it is man. Buck lost talent for no reason last year or the year before, too. I had a lot of specs lose talent as well. But that is part of the game and the luck involved and it's no way related to the settings.

I'm just getting really sick of all the complaining in these leagues. It's a game. Each league is different, but it's like that for the entire league. Everyone has to work with the same thing. That's part of the challenge.

MLB ERA

Right now, the vote is leaning towards no, which is ok with me. Just an idea.

For the record, my development settings are very low. But players are CONSTANTLY taking boosts still. I don't understand it.

However, there are teams this doesn't happen to,. I do know for fact that the DMB's Cubs have had bad luck like he's said which is in a way unrealistic because these are all actual prospects... other teams have as well. But that's all part of the game I think. If my farm in S3S had positive development twice in a row, I think it'd shit my pants. It's all luck of the draw.

I guess it's how akin to real life you'd like it, where prospects would rarely randomly have their growth stunted at random, or if you'd prefer to stick to the games roots, which is how it's always been. Random in a sense.

I'm fine with keeping it as is... it was just an idea I was tossing out, which I essentially stole anyway. another thing is, this league is only 3 years old. It takes awhile for a league to gel. The overall talent level for each team right now is kinda bunk because of all of the maxed out drafts and constant in-and-out GMs making deals to go in different directions, etc. The league I feel is finally starting to gel together and can only get better from here...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

It's part of the game. When it happens ya Ill b***** and complain but I'll move on and go from there.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes