Thread: Some things to know about this league (not rules, just random info)

MLB ERA

Some things to know about this league (not rules, just random info)

Alright, there's some info on the league right here that may or may not help you choose a team if you haven't already. It's also just some knowledge for those who are curious.

1.) ROSTERS
    We used Cubbyfan3.0 rosters if I remember correctly, but did the following:
    a) created up to 30 players, at the least (not including draft picks)
    b) created real-life draft picks that weren't in the draft class before the draft, and drafted them to their respective teams
    c) created Daisuke Matsuzaka by editting an import player to our liking
    d) very slightly modified certain players' ratings (duration & talent mainly)

2.) SOME OF THE TRANSACTIONS WILL NOT LOOK PERFECT
    That means that if while making rosters we either:
    a) ****ed up on a transaction and had to re-create it
    b) There wasn't a certain player involved in the transaction on the rosters and he was so insignificant we didn't feel like creating him
    c) Had to get player or players to certain teams by trading for a different player than the one involved in the trade in real life and then either releasing him or reassigning him to his current team
    So basically, bare with us if you see some minor minor errors. We worked very hard on this for about a week, and it's not perfect, but we're pretty happy with what turned out.

3.) STATS FROM LAST SEASON
    Hammer and I tinkered with the OOTP in game engine settings a ton, simmed multiple seasons, etc... to try to get the best stats we could for the first actual sim of the league.
    The being said, some stats from last year on this game (the 2006 sim) are going to be slightly skewed. The only major one that I even notice, is an increase in strikeouts, which is already fixed for the first actual sim. Other than that, everything simmed beautifully for us.

4.) TO THE YANKEES AND (FUTURE) TIGERS GM
    I made a boneheaded move and traded Maheny and Sanchez to the Yankees, thinking I wanted it as up to date as it could be... full well knowing Sheffield was a FA. After I talked to hammer, and realized that I didn't make the Jesse Barfield trade, Bubba Crosby signing, or any other minor transaction that's gone on since the offseason kicked off, we decided I should reverse this trade. The point of our league was to have it all kick off in the offseason of this year. And I wasn't really realizing it truly was the offseason already when I made that trade. So Maheny and Sanchez are going back to Detroit. I know BJD (Yankees) won't really care as he's been in on the league for awhile, but to whoever is or may choose Detroit, you've got two top-20 spects back for the next sim:
    http://tripleplaysim.com/p2077.html
    http://tripleplaysim.com/p3853.html

5.) IF YOU PLAN ON JOINING...
    a) We'd like this to be a pretty open league to anyone who's interested, but at the same time, we want mostly regulars from Thirdstrike/Strike3sim because we know these guys and we know that they'll do a good job with their team.
    b) Please only sign up if you plan on paying attention to the league. I'm not asking you to commit your life to this league or anything here, but I do want it to be active and don't want to see teams dwelling in the bottom because of inactive GMs.
    c) Evaluate your preffered team before signing up! That means make sure you check out their cap space, prospects, major league talent, fan interest, etc. Everything is on a first come first serve basis of course, so if you're early enough and do your homework you won't be left with a team that may be bad in some people's eyes. I just want to make sure that you throroughly explore your team of choice, their needs, cap, etc. so you don't want to back out at a later date.
    ================================================== ====

That's about it for now. I just needed to let some things be known. erik hammer can add on if he has anything else I forgot. Also, feel free to post any questions in here.

Thanks.

Rookie ERA
    Boo.

You sit on a throne of lies.

S3SL: Cincinnati Reds GM 2014-present
    TSSL: Oakland A's GM 2006-present
    TPSL: San Francisco Baseball Giants 2007-present

MLB ERA
    I feel bad about it now, because at the time I made it, i figured it'd work...

but erik made some good points, and we were gunning to have this league work out as if it was the actuall offseason. So nothings stopping you from trading jason giambi and your soul to that lucky detroit manager

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    are we going to be able to export lineups and such?

MLB ERA
    To be perfectly honest, I'm completely new to running a sim league (and website for that matter), but if someone is willing to run me down how to allow exporting of line-ups, and it's in my ability, then yes. I just have no idea how it works, what I'd have to do from the hosting end of things, how to make a main page to put the league file on, etc.

If I can't do it for whatever reason, I will make sure I can fill out minors and all of the other little details to my best ability. But I'm sure if someone is willing to lend a hand, I'll be able to find out how to work exporting.

MLB ERA
    All I know about it is that you would need to post the files in a zip format on the website so people could download it. We download it. Make our changes. Click team setup and "export to FTP." The final step is for you to "import from FTP" I believe.

I'm not sure of the technical aspects of making it happen. I just have the general idea of how it works. I'm pretty sure it uses more bandwidth from your hosting site, but it leaves you with less changes to make. You'd have to PM Redsfan28 on how to make it happen and to see if it's something you'd want to do. I know for myself, exporting is easier...but you have to weigh the pros and cons to see if it is something worth doing on your end.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Its pretty simple. First, go into the Online League Setup section and enable internet league. This will allow the trading of draft picks and will allow exports/imports. They, you zip the league file, trying to reduce its size once you do (i.e. going into the zipped file and removing some of the league news htmls and stuff). You then upload the league file onto your site. We download the file and use OOTP to open it. We make our changes and then go into the Team Setup screen and click on the Export to FTP button. That will put our changes onto your site. Once everyone does their changes, you then go into the Online League Setup section and click onto the Import All Teams From FTP button. It does the rest. If you have any questions, please PM me. It does save some on the headaches of lineup changes and stuff.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you decide to do Exporing/Importing.

DONT EXPORT OFFERS, it messes up the draft classes.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    At this moment in time, I'm probably leaning towards not importing/exporting for atleast the start of the league.

I know it makes things easier for the all, but if it indeed does take up more bandwith and possibly mess with draft classes and whatnot, I think it might work if I did the work myself for atleast the start.

That being said doesn't mean I won't fix your minors if you ask, or anything like that. Infact, I can pretty much fix anything for you guys, short of entirely customizing the minor leagues.

We're still undecided on this, and I'm going to PM redsfan when I get a chance to get the rest of the lowdown on importing/exporting, but at this time for the beginning of the league we may not use it.

MLB ERA
    speaking of drafts...when you click "team history", is that the draft from 2006? i.e. are we having the draft in June like in real life?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    the upcoming draft... 2007... will not have the official mlb draft order, but i wrote it down when i went by it testing my sliders, so ill post it below. 2006 did, because i did everything customizably according to the draft class there, i created every 1st round pick, and then every other guy that was in the draft class that got drafted in real life, i put on their real life team.

2007 order:
    1. pit
    2. fla
    3. det
    4. kc
    5. tb
    6. was
    7. cin
    8. cle
    9. atl
    10. chc
    11. bal