Thread: Vernon Wells Injured, To miss WBC

AA ERA

Vernon Wells Injured, To miss WBC

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Toronto Blue Jays center fielder Vernon Wells suffered a pulled left quadriceps muscle that will sideline him two or three weeks, an injury that likely will lead to his being replaced on the United States' roster for the World Baseball Classic. Wells suffered the injury lifting weights Sunday. "It's doubtful right now," Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi told SI.com about Wells' participation in the Classic. "He's looking at two or three weeks [of recovery], and our first obligation has to be to our club.''

The United States must submit its official 30-man roster on March 2, five days before its opening game against Mexico at Chase Field in Phoenix.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...wells.injured/

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    At least its only for a few weeks. I was scared when I read thetitle of this thread. Vernon Wells is a stud and these Blue Jays have a chance to contend this season. But if Wells goes down for a long period of time, things would change drastically. So, at least its only a few weeks.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    whether or not this injury is legit, it's just the beginning of players ducking out of the WBC.

MLB ERA
    Wells' was really looking forward to play since he had slow starts the last 2 seasons, he wanted the AB in the WBC to help him have a jump start on the season, I'm just hoping he's ready for the season at 100%, it does help that it happened now instead of later

I do think the injury is legit Wells isn't the type to run away like that
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'am hoping that Wells does bounce back.
    If he was ready to play in the WBC, I can only assume that he will be hungry to get back out in the field and play. Could make him very hungry, and in turn dangerous.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God
    I do think the injury is legit Wells isn't the type to run away like that
    I wasn't trying to imply that he was...I just meant we'll see more injuries popping out people bailing out...some legitimate, some not.

MLB ERA
    ahhh ok
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

AA ERA

Blue Jays

Wells back at training camp

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Vernon Wells was back in camp on Friday and wasted no time in getting back into the workouts. Wells stood off to the side during some baserunning drills, but his left leg had recovered enough to allow him to jog from one field to the next and take batting practice.

The two-time Gold Glove-winning center fielder was in Toronto on Thursday and team doctors examined the strained quadriceps he suffered while lifting weights on Sunday. Nothing serious was discovered and Wells said he is already feeling better. He hopes to be back at full strength by the end of the week.

That would be good news for Team USA, but Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is planning on taking every precaution before sending his star outfielder to the upcoming World Baseball Classic. Toronto initially believed the injury would take between two to three weeks to heal.

"[We'll] keep in touch with the doctors," Gibbons said. "[If] he starts feeling good and goes out there and pushes it, he might make it worse. Then where are we? That tournament is a nice thing, but we need him for the season."
    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=tor