Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays suddenly 'in this now to win'

MLB ERA

Blue Jays suddenly 'in this now to win'

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2336248
    By Jayson Stark

great article to read for any Blue Jay fan or serve as a warning to the other teams

some nice quotes
    "Now," says Wells, "we're not hoping to win. We're playing to win. And there's definitely a difference."
    "I'm not some big freaking high-maintenance guy," says Ryan, whose mammoth strikeout rate last year (12.8 per 9 IP) was second only to Brad Lidge's (13.1). "I'm the kind of guy, I just want to go out and get something to eat and hang out. I get to know you. You get to know me."
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

This team is flat out scary. I'm not so much scared by their pitching additions, who are certainly improvements, but more by adding a legitimate catcher (Zaun was nice, but...) and Troy Glaus, who is simply a monster.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    This team is flat out scary. I'm not so much scared by their pitching additions, who are certainly improvements, but more by adding a legitimate catcher (Zaun was nice, but...) and Troy Glaus, who is simply a monster.
    I agree, the Jays already had a good rotation and bullpen, Lilly was never healthy (unless he was playing Boston) and the bullpen had no real closer hopefully Ryan will come up big there. With Molina who isn't great against RHP but a monster against LHP with a .393 avg, Zaun will see more starts against RHP than LHP, but he's no real no. 1 catcher at least he should push Molina a bit. Glaus finally gives the Jays a true power threat, Wells is good but, not enough to change the game by one swing.

The defense took a big blow by trading Hudson but upgraded at 1B with Overbay, taking away Hinske startng job, now Hinske is going to be the RF'er with Rios, having Hinske and Catalanotto in the field at the same time will be a problem. Will be interesting to see Glaus back at thrid base, don't know if he's a upgrade over Hillenbrand or Koskie defensicely but anything is better than Hinske, although the main concern for me is Adams at short-stop, he made 26 errors last season and doesn't have a strong arm to begin with.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The notion that Hinske is going to attempt to play the outfield is just flat out funny to me. I don't think he can cover the ground like an outfielder needs to, especially a right-fielder with having to stop and make those throws to third base. We'll see.

AA ERA
    The Jays will certainly be contenders in the AL East this up coming season. Hopefully the Red Sox can have some things go our way so we can fend of you Jays and Yankees
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

Blue Jays Not really

sorry, but I see the Jays like the Orioles of last year. They look like theyre going places with their upstart offense and moderate pitching, but at the ned itll all implode. Way too many question marks.

MLB ERA
    If your comparing the O's pitching to the Jays' pitching, thats just wrong.

Moderate pitching doesn't describe the Jays' picthing, they had the best ERA in the AL East last season (not a great stat to go by but it has some merit to it), they only improved their pitching with Burnett and Ryan in the fold. Halladay and Lilly are now healthy, and trading away Miguel Batista will only help the Jays, the pitching staff is very good and probably the best in the division heading into the season.

although I would like to hear your question marks on the team.

MLB ERA
    hmmm no way theyre the best
    Halladay=injury prone
    burnett=unproven
    lily=decent at best
    chacin=unproven
    who's # 5?
    Glaus=injury prone
    Overbay/OFers=High Upside, but may not reach potential
    Hill=journeyman
    Adams=green
    bullpen=solid, but not great
    defense=very poor after loss of hudson, their only defensive star

How will that team leapfrog the Sox and Yanks?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    how is halladay injury prone? I thought last year was his only injury when a line drive broke his leg. Were there any other injuries?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, he was also hurt in 2004. Arm fatigue or some lame excuse like that.

No, Halladay is NOT injury prone. Even counting last year, he averaged 27 games started since he became a starter. Halladay is a horse.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but these last two years, he averaged 20 starts and ~135 IP.

2004 the team rested him because they had nothing going for them. 2005 he got his leg broken by a line drive. C'mon now.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Prone to injury means he gets injured often...doesn't matter how. Also, he had offseason arm surgery after 2004 to fix something, thats why he broke down in 2004. He's a damn good pitcher, but let's see him not get injured.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    prone to injury means there is something about his body that puts him at a greater chance of injury than an average player. a freak line drive shatter his leg is not in that category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast