Thread: Jays sign Vlad

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blue Jays Jays sign Vlad

Blue Jays signed DH Vladimir Guerrero to a minor league contract.
    This confirms a report by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. The plan is for Vlad to report to extended spring training in Dunedin before the team figures out how he can fit into their plans. The 37-year-old batted just .290/.317/.416 with 13 homers, 63 RBI and a career-low .733 OPS last season with the Orioles, so expectations should be pretty modest, but he could have some value as a part-time designated hitter and a right-handed bat off the bench. Edwin Encarnacion shouldn't lose any at-bats at this point, so the biggest potential loser here might be Adam Lind.
    I really don't see the fit for the Jays. They already have enough DH types and EE is doing well. I thought the O's should have brought him back since they actually need help at DH.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jays sign Vlad

Long awaited return to Canada. Fuckin' yeah!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Even if Vlad puts up similar numbers to last year vs RHP, he's a much better option than Lind.

Plus, the whole "HE WAS AWESOME AS AN EXPO!!!!" dynamic.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    Plus, the whole "HE WAS AWESOME AS AN EXPO!!!!" dynamic.
    Ghey. True Montreal fans would never root for Toronto's team, and vice versa.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Vladimir Guerrero appears to have decided to give up his comeback, Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 the FAN reports (on Twitter). The Blue Jays signed the 37-year-old to a minor league contract worth $1.3MM in the Major Leagues last month.

Soon after joining the Blue Jays' organization, Guerrero hit four homers in four games at Class A Dunedin. He was then promoted to Triple-A Las Vegas, where he collected six hits, including two doubles, and no walks in 30 plate appearances. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has maintained that Guerrero won't necessarily make the club's active roster.

Guerrero has 2,590 hits, 449 homers and a .318/.379/.553 line in 16 big league seasons. In 590 plate appearances with the Orioles last year, the nine-time All-Star posted a .290/.317/.416 line with 13 homers. He drew interest from the Diamondbacks, Indians and Marlins earlier this year.
    Weird that he would just give up like that after wanting to play all this time. It's not like he was doing poorly. I guess we have seen the last of Vlad

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

It was "Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has maintained that Guerrero won't necessarily make the club's active roster." I think he didn't want to end it playing in AAA his whole career. I guess he wanted the majors and when the GM said he wouldn't make it, he got his things and got out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Looks like Vlad and the Jays had an understanding and Vlad will seek employment elsewhere.