Thread: Jays Sign Dotel

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blue Jays Jays Sign Dotel

The Blue Jays and Octavio Dotel are close to agreement on a one-year, $3.5 million deal, reports Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.
    Dotel posted a 4.08 ERA and 75/32 K/BB ratio over 64 innings between the Pirates, Dodgers and Rockies this past season. He declined the Rockies' offer of arbitration earlier this month and is a Type B free agent. The 37-year-old would likely replace Kevin Gregg as Toronto's closer in 2011.
    I like the signing... as long as he's not the closer. I think the Jays should pony up and sign Rafael Soriano. I think the Jays can really make some noise this year and yes, I'm aware of the Jays having to give up some drafts picks to sign Soriano but I think it would be worth it. The Jays are already getting a shitload of draft picks this year. Dotel and Soriano could be a good duo at the back end of the pen. With that rotation and power-driven offense, the Jays can definitely compete in 2011 if they get Soriano to close the door. I just don't think Dotel is the answer in the 9th.

Re: Jays Sign Dotel

Sorry, the Jays aren't going to be any better this year than last year, but they are definately moving in the right direction. Signing Dotel would be a good 1 year gamble, hopefully he has a dominant first half and can be flipped for a couple prospects at the deadline. Really that's the best case scenerio.